Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

alwerner

Reaction score
The easiest way to turn them off is when you get a notification, go into settings for that application and change the ring tone for that notification to none and uncheck vibrate if you don't want that.

The notifications will depend on what applications you have running.

Blessed

Reaction score
The easiest way to turn them off is when you get a notification, go into settings for that application and change the ring tone for that notification to none and uncheck vibrate if you don't want that.

The notifications will depend on what applications you have running.

Thank you. It is now working fine.:icon_ banana:

ninjahippie

Reaction score
Embrace the cloud!

Ok here is my history up to the Droid - Pilot (w 256k) circa 1996 - upgrade chip to a II Then another chip to a III - then a palm V - Kyocera 6035 - Kyocera 7135 - Wore out three Treo 650's - Finally a Centro (the 5 way button was worn out).

I had > 3000 contacts in my palm database after all those years. Decided to clean house with the droid. Got it down under 200 and imported it all as a .csv to my Google contacts. Actually works really well. Google just figures out if you have dupes and combines them. Pulls in almost any reasonably intelligent .csv format too.

Love google voice and actually really like google calendar too. Its simple "just works" way of doing things reminds me of the palm calendar.

I had an issue with my notes and an app I'd used for years to encrypt things like passwords and account numbers. I started to do the cut and paste into google docs and then found the Evernote app. I've used Evernote forever from my pc and via txt and email from my Centro. Upgraded to a paid account immediately! LOVE having it on my phone directly.

I think it's really funny that we all seem to fall back on the Palm categories and build a screen full of folders. The other droid owners I know just think I'm anal.

Hardest thing for me was to get over the paradigm of syncing with a desktop and just trust the cloud. Now that I do - it's fantastic. I have my stuff even when I don't have my phone (which is pretty much never). As long as the hardware holds up (expecting the wakeup button to wear out) I'm a really happy camper. Do feel like a bit of a traitor after all these Palm years though. :icon_ devil:

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
After many battles with Outlook I love the cloud!

I miss Datebk - really miss it! - but Google calendar works well. On my Eris however, the views are very limited without a 3rd part widget.

My Treo was still working, but limping. It was time. The old Palm OS is gone, so I am too...

I like Android, I love the idea of developers working to support it. I think it is a vital part of the future of smartphones.

I really like the Eris - with a few complaints which will probably be addressed in updates.

All-in-all, a good move!

johnnieeve

Reaction score
Any of you old Palm forum folks remember the fellow, "Perry"? He always had good things to say.
I gave up a good 755P for the Droid back on 11-9. For the most part I love this new device. But, I'm a slow learner, and not a fan of change.

What I miss from my 755P.

The "Find" feature. Miss it big time. Calendar, Contacts, Splash ID & Money & more. Find did it all.
More choices on the Palm with Calendar, such as being able to set a reminder for the "Fourth Wednesday every month".
Memos.
Calendar day view ease of use and viewing.
Counter on my text messages. Still not working on my Droid.

I'm sure there is more, but these stand out, at this time.

However, I'm loving my Droid and will stay with it. Too bad for me that Palm gave up on their OS, but we move forward.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
I miss Datebk - really miss it!
The authors say they're working on a next generation version (Pimlical) for android, hopefully out by end of 1st quarter 2010.

Fingers crossed! I was following that in a related forum... many issues at present, but here's hoping they get it ready before too long!

Meanwhile, CalWidget helps fill the gap and the developer is very responsive and helpful.

gwguruman

Reaction score
Treo 750P, 755P, Droid, I/Phone, back to Droid........
My 4th 755P started to crash. Decide to change. Went with Droid. No sync with my work Novell Groupwise email and calendar which is critical. Went to I/phone. Sync, but HORRIBLE cell service. Back to the Droid. Trying to figure out whether to keep or buy a new 755P on EBAY. Can we tether the Droid yet? Last thing, someone else mentioned. My contacts on my Treo allowed me to enter birthdays and weddng ann. It then merged into the calendar. So simple and cool. Wahhhhh...why wont the Droid do this. Okay one more thing, wanted a keyboard. A little disappointed. Big fingers dont work well. :)

Novell has a solution for the DROID and many other mobile phones to sync GroupWise to smart phones. See Novell's DataSync solution that does this over the air. I wrote all about this in another DROID Forum thread at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ost108020.html

You can tether the DROID with the PDAnet solution.

Last edited:

cyber3d

Reaction score
I just love the Droid. It is fantastic. I came from the Psion Series 3, 3A, 3C, 5A to the Nokia 60 series, to the Palm 600, 650, 680, and now the Droid. It's incredible how far pocket devices have come. Never had - never will have an iPhone or a Blackberry. What I like the most about my phone is the open architecture. Cool.

P_McNeal

Reaction score
Long time Palm user here; 3 generations of Clie. Like you all, I'm hooked on DateBk and categories. I think I've rearranged my screens a few dozen times already.

Because of my overdependence on DateBk, I have been seeking solid task managers, and I like Astrid and the fact that ties to RTM which then ties to a RTM Google widget for your desktop or iGoogle home screen. It's almost surreal how connected it can all be.

A big drawback for me right now is that I use Ultrasoft Checkbook for all money transactions, and never used a desktop client, so that data is marooned on my Clie. OTOH, I am not sure that there is a strong equivalent in the market yet, nor if I trust any appmaker enough to hold my bank data in the cloud.

Security is a new thought process for me, on a Clie you only worried about losing it physically, but now the access to data via the cloud and via other apps is something to be conscious of. As much as I love the Wild West aspects of app development, the possibilities of bad apples are greater. Not that I'd ever consider the "sanitized for your protection" iPhone!

Anyway, here's to a new device and a new way to enable our anal-retentive qualities!

tjoebgen

Reaction score
yep - long time Palm user (not phone though). Surprised that I couldn't find programs as good as the ones I'm trying to leave behind, or that the same people hadn't made an Android OS version yet. Was glad to hear back from Pimlico about DateBk coming along, but the other apps I love and miss have yet to respond back to my pleas.

Apps I haven't been able to replace yet:
DateBk
Memo Plus (hell... ANY note pad capability... NOBODY seems to know what categories are)
and, most importantly: HotSync!! I know it's part of the palm desktop app, but how can this be such a tough nut to crack? Glad to see Documents To Go here, but it's worthless to me without the sync abilities to get documents that other people update on my network.
I've tried Gdocs and the OI collection and nearly every note pad app... only thing coming close is HTC Sync but I'm having install issues presently.

But - all of this work is because I really like this smart phone. It does some awesome stuff. I just wish it were more of a PDA than just a smart phone.

Dankinia

Reaction score
I just switched from the Centro to the Droid today and so far I love the Droid. The only thing I really miss is the birthday dates that are attached to contacts don't automatically update into Google Calendar. Other then that minor issue, I am totally satisfied with the Droid as a replacement phone.

tranz

Reaction score
big long thread!

Wow, this thread is too long. I wish I'd have found it a month ago. Doing searches just using "Palm" got me a ton of useless matches, and PalmOS not much. I also wish we could have a ex-Palmy's forum (or whatever the next step above a thread is) instead of just a thread here.

The honeymoon is kinda over between me and the Moto Droid (a855). It's not a very good phone OR a decent PDA. Flat-out the Palm had a better calendar, contacts, and memos 7 years ago. Anybody that says that migrating their contacts over from Palm was simple has pretty low expectations, and utilization. 3000 contacts down to 200, and that's acceptable? Not for me and my 900 contacts, 200 memos. I was able to migrate all 9 or 10 years of calendar successfully by way of "Shredzone", but that entailed a bit of work. One tip there is to export each category as a separate calendar to google.

Here's another thread/forum that'll give some insights on migrating.
migrating from palmOS - Android Forums

Datebook: the best substitute I've yet gotten is the gmail calendar, but I'm sure not in love with it.
Contacts: the native app that is connected with gmail contacts isn't all that bad, but making the migration is a real pain from PalmDesktop or the Treo.
Memos: NoteEverything Pro is the best I've found, and it'll import Palm memos directly, BUT it doesn't use the gmail "cloud". Lumping all my memos into big doc's doesn't cut it! GDocs is off to a good start, but it needs some work.
To-Do: "Astrid" with "Remember the Milk" seems best currently.
Graffiti! YAY!!! I got it back!!! Use MobileWrite. It needs better screen proportions, but at least it's handwriting recognition of (3)sorts!

3Bannanna is another interesting memos / notes app, but was taken in by Snaptic which also sells AK Notepad. Maybe they'll come out with a really good app, but AK Notepad isn't much more than a very, very simple, basic app without any good syncing or import/export system. Android without "the cloud" is pretty lame really.

Last edited:

cyber3d

Reaction score
Tranz, what you have to realize is that the PalmOS has been around for a relatively long time. Android is still new. In time it will reveal itself as an incredible platform - after all, it is an open platform. And that is going to bring some outstanding apps in the near future. The faults you point out are going to help guide developers to create better more competent products.