OverClocking 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maaan, this is some exciting news for battery life if it plays out good. Keep up the good work. When everything went down with the closed section, your Overclocking 101 guide was the first thing I asked about.

Welcome back.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
It just blows my mind that you get over 24 hours of battery life.

On a normal day like today I send/receive about 200 texts, talk on the phone for about 30 minutes, browse the web, and listen to music for about 30 minutes each as well.

All of this gets me about 6 hours of battery life.

Anything you do different?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I run the following under SetCPU:

Default: 700MHz/250MHz
Battery < 51%: 600/250
< 31%: 550/250
Sleep/Standby: 300/250

Advanced: 62500, 70, 0, 70

OK, this is going to be my baseline setup for the next few days I think.

P3Droid's 1Ghz 7 slot kernel. Wish I knew the voltage.
SetCPU
Base: 250/1000 OnDemand
Charging: 250/1000 OnDemand
Sleep/Standby: 250/400 OnDemand
Battery < 51%: 250/800 OnDemand
Battery < 31%: 250/600 OnDemand
Battery < 21%: 250/400 OnDemand
Failsafe > 45.8C: 250/600 OnDemand
Advanced: 50000,75,0,0

Background programs that auto update:
Weatherbug Elite Widget: 60 minutes, off at 30% battery.
Weatherbug Elite Map Widget: 180 minutes, off at 30% battery.
Battery Graph: 5 minutes.
Data Counter Widget: Automatic.
System Panel: Automatic.
Setting Profiles: Automatic based on two timers. Basically it keeps bluetooth turned off and the screen set to minimum brightness from 9:30 pm to 6:00 am.

I believe in sleep/standby I will get 4 hours per 10% of discharge. And while using the phone to surf the web on wifi, I should get 45 minutes per 10% of discharge. Calling and texting is anyone's guess at present.

EDIT: And I am now running this setup with Beta 2 but the baseband from 2.1. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/49954-more-froyo.html

Last edited:

A.Brooks

Reaction score
Okay so from this I know I'm going with Froyo, my question is, will this link

Non-Rooted Users: A Guide to get Froyo

Get me to the settings I need automatically or is there going to be some tweaking I need to do? I'm a complete noob to this and from what I gather this is the way to go and the wave of the future! I'm excited to have something cool like this on my Droid.

Also, once I have that loaded will I still need Launcher Pro beta or is there something better out there, or just ditch it all together?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Okay so from this I know I'm going with Froyo, my question is, will this link

Non-Rooted Users: A Guide to get Froyo

Get me to the settings I need automatically or is there going to be some tweaking I need to do? I'm a complete noob to this and from what I gather this is the way to go and the wave of the future! I'm excited to have something cool like this on my Droid.

Also, once I have that loaded will I still need Launcher Pro beta or is there something better out there, or just ditch it all together?

SetCPU is a market app that is needed for the overclocking tweaking.

Your choice of Launcher is all about preference. I still use Helix Launcher.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
One more thing; so I'm assuming 2.2 (stock) runs a sampling rate of 30000, correct? Or is that just SetCPU's suggested sampling rate based on measurements or something?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
One more thing; so I'm assuming 2.2 (stock) runs a sampling rate of 30000, correct? Or is that just SetCPU's suggested sampling rate based on measurements or something?

When SetCPU is launched, it reads several files to get the info to display. 30000 is both the low number in one file and the default number in another file after booting. SetCPU has "no smarts" other than to change the profile when an event is triggered.

$mitty

Reaction score
Skull, I'm also running one of P3Droid's kernels and my profiles are very similar to yours. I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to the Advanced Setting. Would it be OK to assume 50000, 75, 0, 0 is the way to go?

*edit - I'm using the 1GHz kernel, but the values are 250, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000

Last edited:
OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Skull, I'm also running one of P3Droid's kernels and my profiles are very similar to yours. I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to the Advanced Setting. Would it be OK to assume 50000, 75, 0, 0 is the way to go?

*edit - I'm using the 1GHz kernel, but the values are 250, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000

I'll know more in 48 hours. My research up until this point suggests it should be a very good mix of not switching too often but allow the CPU to ramp up in 100 milliseconds from 250 to 1000.

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score

I'll know more in 48 hours. My research up until this point suggests it should be a very good mix of not switching too often but allow the CPU to ramp up in 100 milliseconds from 250 to 10000.

Holy crap! Skull is the man! 10 Ghz DROID!! One question when it ramps up how many city blocks does it take out? :)

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score

I'll know more in 48 hours. My research up until this point suggests it should be a very good mix of not switching too often but allow the CPU to ramp up in 100 milliseconds from 250 to 10000.

Holy crap! Skull is the man! 10 Ghz DROID!! One question when it ramps up how many city blocks does it take out? :)

That is what I get for not proof reading :p

$mitty

Reaction score
Sweet. I'll hang around this thread for a few days. Really good info you've got here. I've never bothered to adjust the advanced settings simply b/c I didn't know anything about them. I typically run on whatever the default was with ondemand, but it always seemed to make my battery run pretty hot after only a short period of time and would run at a higher speed than was always needed.

I will say, I've only been running at 50000, 75, 0, 0 for an hour or so, but I keep opening up SetCPU every 5 or 10 minutes just to see what it's doing, it shows I'm running at 250...which NEVER happens. Seems like it's only ramping up the speed when it really needs it, so that's good!

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Sweet. I'll hang around this thread for a few days. Really good info you've got here. I've never bothered to adjust the advanced settings simply b/c I didn't know anything about them. I typically run on whatever the default was with ondemand, but it always seemed to make my battery run pretty hot after only a short period of time and would run at a higher speed than was always needed.

I will say, I've only been running at 50000, 75, 0, 0 for an hour or so, but I keep opening up SetCPU every 5 or 10 minutes just to see what it's doing, it shows I'm running at 250...which NEVER happens. Seems like it's only ramping up the speed when it really needs it, so that's good!

If you want to see the frequency change it in real time and in relation to everything running, download "System Panel" by NextApp Inc.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If pete comes out with a Froyo BB and says setCPU is not needed, will you be disproving that too? I too thought it was a very bold and ambitious statement...

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
If pete comes out with a Froyo BB and says setCPU is not needed, will you be disproving that too? I too thought it was a very bold and ambitious statement...

I would hope he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.