OverClocking 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Skull One; have you by any chance tested/used the new "experimental" builds of JuiceDefender? It's supposedly able to now run on 2.1 and above.

Just wanted your comments/tips on the matter if you're by any chance using it or plan to.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Skull One; have you by any chance tested/used the new "experimental" builds of JuiceDefender? It's supposedly able to now run on 2.1 and above.

Just wanted your comments/tips on the matter if you're by any chance using it or plan to.

I have not. I tested it back in March and was not impressed at the time. I might revisit it after 2.2 settles down.

mkthnx001

Reaction score

I have not. I tested it back in March and was not impressed at the time. I might revisit it after 2.2 settles down.

Looking forward to it than.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
If pete comes out with a Froyo BB and says setCPU is not needed, will you be disproving that too? I too thought it was a very bold and ambitious statement...

I would hope he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Well he did in fact do it again by what his OP says on his release of BB frf57. One of the reasons i refuse to use his work. I just think it is a bad plan to not have control over the CPU.

However seeing as I didn't see prior comments would you mind shedding a little light on them when time permits.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If pete comes out with a Froyo BB and says setCPU is not needed, will you be disproving that too? I too thought it was a very bold and ambitious statement...

I would hope he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Well he did in fact do it again by what his OP says on his release of BB frf57. One of the reasons i refuse to use his work. I just think it is a bad plan to not have control over the CPU.

However seeing as I didn't see prior comments would you mind shedding a little light on them when time permits.

lol wow I'm surprised he did that again. I like the guys work but he is blatantly wrong about it yet he continues to perpetuate it. I use his ROMS but I ignore his instructions and do it my way. Haven't had any issues, and I'd much rather have a cool fast phone then one that heats up to 140 degrees daily...

I think he says all that to feed the fanboys and unfortunately it works...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea u had good points in that other thread, and Skull One coming and backing it up was beautiful. lol

Its all about the profiles with SetCPU vs. the BB Script.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
I read the OP for the rolled ROM he is producing. Technically he is correct if you go by the purist definition of "Need".

If you two would like, feel free to post a link to my original post on the old thread in his new thread. But I really don't want to get into a pissing contest about his statements versus my testing. In the end I just don't see anything good coming out of it. And I really don't want to start another type of forum war like the one between Koush and Blackdroid. In the end no one won. But a lot of good people left here because of it. And that isn't good for the community.

I think Cereal Killer and the rest of the mods would agree. It's his forum section, his rom, his rope around his neck. Me trying to yank it will only polarize the community.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think if you delete the Pete script in /system/xbin (maybe its bin, but either way), it takes away those features. Then you could start using SetCPU again with no interference.

I think that's what he meant by that anyway.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read the OP for the rolled ROM he is producing. Technically he is correct if you go by the purist definition of "Need".

If you two would like, feel free to post a link to my original post on the old thread in his new thread. But I really don't want to get into a pissing contest about his statements versus my testing. In the end I just don't see anything good coming out of it. And I really don't want to start another type of forum war like the one between Koush and Blackdroid. In the end no one won. But a lot of good people left here because of it. And that isn't good for the community.

I think Cereal Killer and the rest of the mods would agree. It's his forum section, his rom, his rope around his neck. Me trying to yank it will only polarize the community.

Oh yeah definitely as I had mentioned in that huge out of control thread if all you want to do is overclock then yes you don't "need" setCPU. But setCPU is much more than just a "overclock set it and forget it" app. To boldly say that a CPU profile app is not needed just because your ROM overclocks with a script is foolish.

But you're right. I already argued my arse off in that thread, and have no desire to do it again lol. What's his is his, I just know that I for one will not be uninstalling setCPU anytime soon no matter what ROM I use. But then again Pete will "send me his droid" if mine melts...lip service at its best!

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
I think if you delete the Pete script in /system/xbin (maybe its bin, but either way), it takes away those features. Then you could start using SetCPU again with no interference.

Technically you don't need to remove the script. Since it runs earlier than SetCPU does and the fact that Pete, I believe, removed the line that killed SetCPU, you will simply do the same thing twice. Which doesn't hurt anything in the long run since both take only a few milliseconds to execute.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well,no there really is no reason to delete the Pete script as there is no interference. The lines in the pete script about overclocking may be overkill though since setCPU can do the same thing at boot. I just edit out those lines, and run setCPU to "set at boot"...I've never been happier with my temps or batterly life then I am when I used setCPU. I did try to let BB do the work for me, but seeing 135-140 in my temp monitor quickly convinced me otherwise lol

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Technically you don't need to remove the script. Since it runs earlier than SetCPU does and the fact that Pete, I believe, removed the line that killed SetCPU, you will simply do the same thing twice. Which doesn't hurt anything in the long run since both take only a few milliseconds to execute.

Beat me too it ;)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Beat me too it ;)

Lol, thanks for correcting me guys. I misunderstood what he meant by that then. :p

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
P3 ...

I couldn't run the 250 kernel on my droid, when I updated to that (the 1.0 ver) it booted up and gave me a charge phone, then shut down, went to the 125 1.0.

Very interesting read Skull, thank you.

I'm on my first day OC'ing my droid, and it helped greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.