Otterbox Defender/ Commuter Review

Mack450

Reaction score
How is the defender in your pocket? I ordered the commuter but am considering changing it to the defender. I work as a mechanic and am worried about screen protection with the commuter. (bumping into things etc etc) But then again I keep my phone in my pocket and wonder if the defender is realistic to keep in my pocket everyday. Opinions?

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I and many others keep it in their pocket. It is not too bulky at all. I don't wear right jeans, and I don't think you wear them to work either!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I have the defender and keep the phone in my pocket and it doesn't bother me. I usually wear levis boot cut jeans, so they're not that tight.

Sent from my DROIDX

Mack450

Reaction score
Sweet. I am gonna call radio shack tomorrow and see if they will let me change my order to the defender. I ordered it last night so it hasnt shipped yet. I got the commuter on sale for 26 bucks and the defender was 37 bucks last night but the sale seems to have ended....so hopefully they will let me have the sale price for the defender. If not I guess I got a commuter. I just like the hard plastic protector on the defender.....commuter the screen is too exposed IMO

Gums

Reaction score
An alternative choice...Trident Kraken

Don't mean to hijack a thread but I thought it might be a nice idea to offer another choice to anyone still sitting on the fence about what case they'd like to purchase. Freedom of choice is a great thing! Thanks for looking!

Trident Kraken case review

fertig 70

Reaction score
I am happy with the defender. It is not the easiest going in and out of the pocket but I think that the protection that you get makes up for it. I had the commuter. I loved how sleek it was, but I thought that it was too slick and didn't provide enough protection at the corners. The defender does come with a belt holster that will help protect the screen. I don't use it though. I never have liked having my phone on my hip.

wildride89

Reaction score
How is the defender in your pocket? I ordered the commuter but am considering changing it to the defender. I work as a mechanic and am worried about screen protection with the commuter. (bumping into things etc etc) But then again I keep my phone in my pocket and wonder if the defender is realistic to keep in my pocket everyday. Opinions?

The commuter works as a good case. I am a machinist and I use to worry but the case is holding up no problem. I dropped my phone the other night getting out ofmy friends jeep and it did good even with the pavement.

Pookymeister

Reaction score
Oil slick effect

Is anyone else experiencing the "oil slick" when using the Defender?

I'm on my 3rd replacement from Otterbox support(who are great, btw) but I'm still having the problem. Supposedly it's caused by the screen being installed backwards in manufacturing. Maybe there are alot more units affected than they thought since I'm not having much luck.

My phone is naked besides the Defender, so there this isn't caused by another screen or accessory.

Janet1025

Reaction score

I'm on my 3rd replacement from Otterbox support(who are great, btw) but I'm still having the problem. Supposedly it's caused by the screen being installed backwards in manufacturing. Maybe there are alot more units affected than they thought since I'm not having much luck.

My phone is naked besides the Defender, so there this isn't caused by another screen or accessory.

Curious, what is the oil slick effects??

Pookymeister

Reaction score

Curious, what is the oil slick effects??

It looks like a rainbowish trippy looking thing(especially when you move the phone back and forth) when you view the screen at an angle.

chazall1

Reaction score
Of all the cases that I have tried The Otterbox Defender is OUTSTANDING!
At this point in time, My Phones will have Otter on them!

Thanks

rebaf

Reaction score
spilt pop on mine, dropped in the snow....still good to go....
hey, that rhymed....

Diggs59

Reaction score
First off, let me say that I've been an avid supporter of Otter Box cases over the years. I was really happy with the Otter Box on my Blackberry so I figured I'd get another one for my Droid X since I recently upgraded. I ordered it through this site and I went with the Commuter case by Otter Box and I must say that I am disappointed. First off the the rubber doesn't fit it worth a damn. The USB and HDMI port plugs will not even stay in place, the flap is just hanging open and looks retarded. The rubber portion that covers the 4 buttons on the bottom face also seems way too bulky and it's hard to press the buttons. No matter how you slice it, it's just not a good fit. The camera button, power button and volume buttons (all on the sides of the phone) seem to fit in the case way better though. Still, I am unhappy with this garbage product and I've already sent it back for a full refund. This case is simply unsatisfactory and I expected much more from Otter Box.

Last edited:

turbinator1990

Reaction score
I recently bought the otterbox defender case last week but I have mixed reviews about it...first off and the most annoying is the part of the case that covers the four main buttons on the Droid x, it doesn't sit flushed in, sticks out and causes more sticky button touch...
Second fault is minor but still annoying. Whenever I want to move a app to another screen its impossible and also when I try to drag down my notification bar....might send.back the case for the first problem...
Besides all of that the case is very study, I dropped it a few times at work and nothing happened. I work on cars and get oil on the screen, no problem with this case

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App