Otterbox Defender/ Commuter Review

hoppyjr

Reaction score
does the defender series work with the extended battery?

Absolutely, YES!

I installed the Defender on my Dad's DX, with both the extended battery and extended battery door. Fits with no issues whatsoever.

wildride89

Reaction score
That bites their website said that the phone wouldnt work with the extended battery and the defender case so I ordered the commuter oh well that will be better than the one I have now that plastic back cover that does nothing

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
If you were to pick, which one would you pick for permanent use?

I'm going to use the Commuter for a permanent case. The Defender is a little to large and in charge for me. Been keeping my Droid X in the Commuter all hunting season so far and no complaints.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
I too picked the commuter over the defender but i hate that it collects lint like crazy, o well at least its protected.

I also wondered how I culd poke holes in the case to see threw.

So you're saying the commuter collects lint like crazy? The op implied that the commuter was lint free while the defender had the lint? Just curious...it sounds petty when I am concerned about lint on my phone, but, well, I AM concerned about lint on my phone/case!

The Defender does collect more lint than the Commuter. After keeping my Droid X in the Commuter this hunting season and testing it a bit, its easy to see that i does collect lint. Its nothing bad and easy to wipe away.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Well, that's good to know! I have been using the defender for about a week and the lint build-up has not been terrible. I'm not sure if that says more about the case and my low expectations, my pockets, or my dryer.......
I am on a trip, so my defender got its first toddler test. It has done very well through being carried around and dropped a couple of times! I haven't even thought twice about it (well the drops on carpet at least)!! The commuter should be waiting for me when I return home, and will likely be my daily user.
However, I feel so secure with my defender when I need it, mainly when I give it to my daughter on weekends and trips, that I think I may go naked the rest o the week. If something happens, I have insurance. Holding the phone naked again after having a hard case for several months gave me an awesome feeling about the phone and its size.

SharonDroid

Reaction score
Droid Incredible?

I realize I'm in Droid X accessories but this review was very helpful. Any specific Otterbox comments for Droid Incredible? I just bought my phone today and hope to buy an Otterbox or other case tomorrow, on CyberMonday. Thanks!

Freezetron

Reaction score
I like and dont like my commuter. VZW store just got a new case in I may swap for instead. My commuter also came with a damaged screen protector which I was not happy about.

My commuter came with screen protector that was bent and now doesn't sit flush with the screen. i've sent an email to otterbox about it

bent.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Do tell! What case did veriz get that you liked better?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Do you think the Defender is too bulky for carrying in your pocket all the time? I like all the protection the Defender offers, but am concerned about the bulk since I carry my phone in my pocket.

adriot

Reaction score
commuter or defender

I've never had a phone I did not drop. Never. And I don't mean just once, I mean that I have a tendency to drop phones.

Generally after a few too many falls, they stop working (though for some reason, my last phone, palm centro was ridiculously indestructible).

I have an Incredible now though and I'm guessing that a fall will probably kill it and I really need a case. A good case. But, I'm still mainly going to carry this in the pocket of my jeans, or slip it in a purse.

Will the commuter protect my phone enough? Will the defender make slipping it into a jeans pocket undoable? Which do I need?

Eskay

Reaction score
Defenders and pockets do not play well together

Although possible, if you plan to keep the phone primarily in your pocket the defender case will make the phone uncomfortably bulky.

bsc504

Reaction score
Which case with a belt clip would the Commuter fit in since it has no clip? I really would like one of the inward facing hard cases with a belt clip that the Commuter would fit in but I'm probably out of luck as of now.

Any help would be appreciated.

wildride89

Reaction score
I just recieved my commuter case and ithink I expected too much. Its better than what I had but for the price wow. Ill try it for a bit then ill make a decision. Was anyone else overly excited then let down haha

San Antone RR

Reaction score
Barski and Sharon,

if you look at the pics showing the front of the DX with the Defender installed, you can see the bubbles between the Defender and the Zagg.
Take the case off and rub the inside of the clear covering on your cheek. Get all of it covered with the oil from your face. Sounds weird, but it pretty much eliminates the bubbles. I thought it sounded crazy, but it works and now is on the Otterbox website. Tried it with my IPhone (can I say that word here?) and it worked well.

qqqqqqqman

Reaction score
Take the case off and rub the inside of the clear covering on your cheek. Get all of it covered with the oil from your face. Sounds weird, but it pretty much eliminates the bubbles. I thought it sounded crazy, but it works and now is on the Otterbox website.

Geez, nothing like bacteria, skin cells, oil, and dirt to keep your screen protector looking good! :rofl3:

Is the Zagg that hard to put on without bubbles?

The salesman put my Verizon one on in 10 seconds with nary a bubble.