1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Otterbox Defender/ Commuter Review

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by barski, Nov 23, 2010.

1. barski

barski New Member

Here is my review of the Otterbox Defender. I received it yesterday (November 22, 2010).

Its built tough, that's for sure. Everything fits nice and snug. All the flaps stay down when pulling it out of your pocket. The top cover for ear buds sticks up a little bit for the microphone, but its really no big deal. The feel of the outside rubber is nice, although it doesn't pull your pocket out of your pants when taking it out, it does collect lint. Its nothing bad but you do notice it and it brushes away easy enough.

All the buttons are very easy to press. The touch screen is not a problem with this case as feared. I have no problems being able to move anywhere on my phone.

As you can see in my pictures the screen looks all bubbly. Its because i have my Zagg screen protector on beneath it. I'm sure if i took it off it would have no bubbly look. One last thing. My phone is covered in Zagg and it works just fine with the Defender and Commuter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry about not having it put on completely right on a couple of these pictures. Believe me there will be no problems with the sides.

This is my review of the Otterbox Commuter. I received it today (November 23, 2010)

Its a very nice and more practical case for the average person when comparing it to the Defender. Its much much smaller in size and feels a lot better in your pocket and hand. I haven't used it to much yet but everything seems tough enough. The flaps are good but not as nice as the defender. The flap that covers the HDMI and USB/charging ports might cause a little conflict, it hangs out a touch, but so far i have had NO problems with this piece. All the buttons are really easy to use and using the touch screen is not a problem in any way.

This have very very little lint collection because of the hard skeleton on the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any questions or if you would like me to take a specific picture, just let me know.
  2. Freezetron

Freezetron New Member

I wonder if you can poke small holes in the 4 buttons on the bottom so some of the backlighting shows through on them on the commuter.
  3. barski

barski New Member

I'm sure you could, but then you would allow more dust to get in. I have the keys by heart so it doesn't really matter to me.
  4. setlab

setlab New Member

Do you have any docks, like the car dock to test it in?
  5. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

It won't work with any standard docks with these cases on it.
  6. barski

barski New Member

I don't have a dock for my Droid X. I guess im not really in one spot long enough to have one, while in my car my cup holder works pretty well.
  7. IDGBZ71

IDGBZ71 New Member

Thanks for review an pictures.
  8. EagleStrike

EagleStrike New Member

If you were to pick, which one would you pick for permanent use?
  9. joker402

joker402 New Member

I too picked the commuter over the defender but i hate that it collects lint like crazy, o well at least its protected.

I also wondered how I culd poke holes in the case to see threw.
  10. Freezetron

Freezetron New Member

I"m thinking of just using a small sewing needle.
  11. Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad New Member

So you're saying the commuter collects lint like crazy? The op implied that the commuter was lint free while the defender had the lint? Just curious...it sounds petty when I am concerned about lint on my phone, but, well, I AM concerned about lint on my phone/case!
  12. cpjr

cpjr New Member

I love the commuter and am glad I got it.......but it DOES collect alot of lint.
  13. joker402

joker402 New Member

the lint appears on the edges of the screen and along the buttons below the screen
  14. wildride89

wildride89 New Member

does the defender series work with the extended battery?
  15. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

It definitely does if you use the standard battery cover and not the one that comes with the extended battery. Though, Motorola doesn't suggest doing that.
  16. hoppyjr

hoppyjr New Member

Absolutely, YES!

I installed the Defender on my Dad's DX, with both the extended battery and extended battery door. Fits with no issues whatsoever.
  17. wildride89

wildride89 New Member

That bites their website said that the phone wouldnt work with the extended battery and the defender case so I ordered the commuter oh well that will be better than the one I have now that plastic back cover that does nothing
  18. barski

barski New Member

I'm going to use the Commuter for a permanent case. The Defender is a little to large and in charge for me. Been keeping my Droid X in the Commuter all hunting season so far and no complaints.
  19. barski

barski New Member

The Defender does collect more lint than the Commuter. After keeping my Droid X in the Commuter this hunting season and testing it a bit, its easy to see that i does collect lint. Its nothing bad and easy to wipe away.
  20. Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad New Member

Well, that's good to know! I have been using the defender for about a week and the lint build-up has not been terrible. I'm not sure if that says more about the case and my low expectations, my pockets, or my dryer.......
    I am on a trip, so my defender got its first toddler test. It has done very well through being carried around and dropped a couple of times! I haven't even thought twice about it (well the drops on carpet at least)!! The commuter should be waiting for me when I return home, and will likely be my daily user.
    However, I feel so secure with my defender when I need it, mainly when I give it to my daughter on weekends and trips, that I think I may go naked the rest o the week. If something happens, I have insurance. Holding the phone naked again after having a hard case for several months gave me an awesome feeling about the phone and its size.
Search tags for this page
difference between otterbox commuter and defender

droid x otterbox defender

droid x2 otterbox commuter review

droid x2 otterbox defender review
htc incredible otterbox defender vs commuter
otterbox commuter case problems for droid x2

otterbox commuter droid x2

otterbox commuter droid x2 review

otterbox commuter droid x2 reviews
otterbox commuter vs defender for incredible 2
otterbox commuter vs defender htc incredible