Otterbox Defender/ Commuter Review

barski

Reaction score
Here is my review of the Otterbox Defender. I received it yesterday (November 22, 2010).

Its built tough, that's for sure. Everything fits nice and snug. All the flaps stay down when pulling it out of your pocket. The top cover for ear buds sticks up a little bit for the microphone, but its really no big deal. The feel of the outside rubber is nice, although it doesn't pull your pocket out of your pants when taking it out, it does collect lint. Its nothing bad but you do notice it and it brushes away easy enough.

All the buttons are very easy to press. The touch screen is not a problem with this case as feared. I have no problems being able to move anywhere on my phone.

As you can see in my pictures the screen looks all bubbly. Its because i have my Zagg screen protector on beneath it. I'm sure if i took it off it would have no bubbly look. One last thing. My phone is covered in Zagg and it works just fine with the Defender and Commuter.

3Pieces.jpg

Defender2.jpg

Defender5.jpg

Defender4.jpg

Defender3.jpg

Defender1.jpg

Sorry about not having it put on completely right on a couple of these pictures. Believe me there will be no problems with the sides.

This is my review of the Otterbox Commuter. I received it today (November 23, 2010)

Its a very nice and more practical case for the average person when comparing it to the Defender. Its much much smaller in size and feels a lot better in your pocket and hand. I haven't used it to much yet but everything seems tough enough. The flaps are good but not as nice as the defender. The flap that covers the HDMI and USB/charging ports might cause a little conflict, it hangs out a touch, but so far i have had NO problems with this piece. All the buttons are really easy to use and using the touch screen is not a problem in any way.

This have very very little lint collection because of the hard skeleton on the back.

BothPieces.jpg

Commuter1.jpg

Commuter4.jpg

Commuter5.jpg

Commuter2.jpg

Commuter3.jpg

Any questions or if you would like me to take a specific picture, just let me know.

Freezetron

Reaction score
I wonder if you can poke small holes in the 4 buttons on the bottom so some of the backlighting shows through on them on the commuter.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
I'm sure you could, but then you would allow more dust to get in. I have the keys by heart so it doesn't really matter to me.

setlab

Reaction score
Do you have any docks, like the car dock to test it in?

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
I don't have a dock for my Droid X. I guess im not really in one spot long enough to have one, while in my car my cup holder works pretty well.

joker402

Reaction score
I too picked the commuter over the defender but i hate that it collects lint like crazy, o well at least its protected.

I also wondered how I culd poke holes in the case to see threw.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I too picked the commuter over the defender but i hate that it collects lint like crazy, o well at least its protected.

I also wondered how I culd poke holes in the case to see threw.

So you're saying the commuter collects lint like crazy? The op implied that the commuter was lint free while the defender had the lint? Just curious...it sounds petty when I am concerned about lint on my phone, but, well, I AM concerned about lint on my phone/case!

cpjr

Reaction score
I love the commuter and am glad I got it.......but it DOES collect alot of lint.

joker402

Reaction score
the lint appears on the edges of the screen and along the buttons below the screen