Otterbox case vs Seidio case

zero7404

Reaction score
a recent contact with otterbox indicates that they 'MAY-BE' working on a defender case for the droid ... at the moment they are not working on any holsters & docks. to make a dock for the commuter case, that would be a challenge since there is a rubber cover over the usb port ...

as far as me, the commuter is more than protective enough. i would imagine for those in heavy industry settings would need a defender case for their droid.

back on topic, seidio has already created a full arsenal of accessories for the droid, makes it hard to resist going with their brand for all droid needs ....

personally, i do wish the innocase was a bit more protective and less damaging to the phone, because i want a car cradle & holster

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Almost a rip off-of the Otterbox

It's more inline with the Otterbox Defender series than it is with the commuter series.I agree it's a slight "rip-off" of the Defender Series,but IMO the commuter series is a rip-off of the Seidio Innocase. The Seidio Innocase was around before the Commuter case.

I like both brands and have ordered the Seidio "Rugged." I'm still a bigger fan of the Otterbox Defender series,but Otterbox won't make one for the Moto Droid.

Just my personal opinion though,everyone see's things differently.
They are quite different.

The Seidio is a plastic (or carbonate or something) case that doesn't cover ports, doesn't cover the chin, has a rubberized outer coating, and a thin swede like inner coating.

The OtterBox is a plastic case with a silicone case inside of it. It plugs all the ports, covers all the buttons, covers the chin (with rubber, not scratching plastic), and has a smooth feel on the outside.

I don't think the OtterBox is a rip off. If it is then they did a better job of it from what I can see.

Seidio went for a "fairly protective" case that looks pretty and comes in many colors. OtterBox went for a more bulky yet much more protective design that is silicone AND plastic to prevent puncture AND cushion falls and whatnot.

Just my .02 :)

zero7404

Reaction score
Almost a rip off-of the Otterbox

It's more inline with the Otterbox Defender series than it is with the commuter series.I agree it's a slight "rip-off" of the Defender Series,but IMO the commuter series is a rip-off of the Seidio Innocase. The Seidio Innocase was around before the Commuter case.

I like both brands and have ordered the Seidio "Rugged." I'm still a bigger fan of the Otterbox Defender series,but Otterbox won't make one for the Moto Droid.

Just my personal opinion though,everyone see's things differently.
They are quite different.

The Seidio is a plastic (or carbonate or something) case that doesn't cover ports, doesn't cover the chin, has a rubberized outer coating, and a thin swede like inner coating.

The OtterBox is a plastic case with a silicone case inside of it. It plugs all the ports, covers all the buttons, covers the chin (with rubber, not scratching plastic), and has a smooth feel on the outside.

I don't think the OtterBox is a rip off. If it is then they did a better job of it from what I can see.

Seidio went for a "fairly protective" case that looks pretty and comes in many colors. OtterBox went for a more bulky yet much more protective design that is silicone AND plastic to prevent puncture AND cushion falls and whatnot.

Just my .02 :)

+1 on your comments gardobus ...

to orangepeel: if you feel the otterbox is a rip from another design, then how would you make a case that is different 'enough' from the innocase for this particular fone ? as it is, the droid is a difficult device to put a fully protective case/skin on. i think otterbox did a dam good job with it, even more so when sliding it open there is absolutely no resistance at all, as if the case is not there.

the only thing that i see can be done to improve in this particular design is to make the silicon jacket with a lint-repelling additive or coating, in order to avoid pulling it out once in a while to rinse with water and get clean.

orangepeel

Reaction score
to orangepeel: if you feel the otterbox is a rip from another design, then how would you make a case that is different 'enough' from the innocase for this particular fone ? as it is, the droid is a difficult device to put a fully protective case/skin on. i think otterbox did a dam good job with it, even more so when sliding it open there is absolutely no resistance at all, as if the case is not there.

Why would it be hard to put a full protective skin on??? Seidio just did. Have you owned an Otterbox before the Commuter for the Droid???I can tell you from years of owning them they have always been big and bulky and I liked them this way.The commuter is nice but they don't offer a holster for it.

Yes, I think both are getting into each others line.Seidio is now sorta getting into the Otterbox defender line, with the Rugged Shell,and the Commuter is A LOT more like the Innocase than the Defender series ever was....honestly if you aren't a long term Otterbox user you won't know how they've evolved the last couple of years.

I'm done here.I don't have a problem with either company using things from the other if in the end we get a better product on our end. Fight on fanbois! My work is done here! I love both these companys can confirm I'e bout roughly 20 between them so I've saw how far they come,and it's only getting better.

Last edited:

orangepeel

Reaction score
My work is done here!

GOOD ! go find another thread to be a critic ....
I lied...you don't like knowing other people can like different things about both brands,so you though you a little temper tantrum.You still rolling around on the carpet,or has your father jerked you up and tapped that butt Mr Internet "Tuff Guy." Let me guess,you are either from an Apple forum,or a craxkberry forum???

Atleast we know what Zero meant.....Zero tact.

Tell your friend sat Otterbox that I really like their stuff,and they should come out with a more rugged cover,or atleast a nice holster for the Commuter case. If you would have taken the time to go back through my post,you would've found out that I'm really fond of Otterbox.......buy you're just some kid that got his little butt hurt because I didn't follow you like a sheep.

Peace out Zero!:lifting:

orangepeel

Reaction score
My work is done here!

GOOD ! go find another thread to be a critic ....

And you wasn't being a critic little man? People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stoned.LOL- there is a certain sect in this country that when they start getting beat intelectually,they start the name calling to get the attention off of them,and away from their ignorance that is running rampant.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, these are cases you're discussing here. An inanimate object. No reason to get so passionate. Everybody calm down and respect each other. If you can't be respectful of each other then will have to close the thread.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm new here. I'm also an adult. If this is what happens on this forum, you sure won't be seeing much of moi.

Not typically, we do try to remind people to be respectful around here. You won't see this type of behavior tolerated.

spoooon

Reaction score
the only thing that i see can be done to improve in this particular design is to make the silicon jacket with a lint-repelling additive or coating, in order to avoid pulling it out once in a while to rinse with water and get clean.

I find that a quick spray with a can of air takes care of the lint.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
If my description of the differences between the Seidio and Otterbox cases was taken in offense, I'm not sure why it was. I didn't mean it like "I CALL BS, WRONG, WRONG" or anything. I was just saying why they seem different to me. :icon_eek:

adam4356

Reaction score
gotta love case wars. otterbox is a great choice and i prefer the smooth case surface than a rubber one

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ordered an Otterbox from NewEgg :D

I also prefer the smooth shell over the rubber. Yeah it is nice to have a grip on the thing but when it won't slide easily into a pocket or anything then it is more of a pain that it is a plus.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Ordered an Otterbox from NewEgg :D

I also prefer the smooth shell over the rubber. Yeah it is nice to have a grip on the thing but when it won't slide easily into a pocket or anything then it is more of a pain that it is a plus.

As did I. Expecting mine today/tomorrow? Hopefully? Maybe? haha Pony Express!