Ota 6.12.173

Reaction score
System Version 6.12.173 Leak

BE WARNED: The purpose of this thread is to point you in the right direction if you are interested in the new update. If any changes are made between now and the official release, you will not be able to receive the official OTA unless you do a return to stock with the fastboot files. As always the user is responsible for any unofficial changes made to their phones and accepts the consequences.

EDIT: Fastboot files have been verified to take the RAZR back to full stock and not interfere with official OTA updates. If this update changes before official release, you WILL be able to return to stock and receive all official updates.

This unofficial update its absolutely SAFE. It is no more risky than flashing a custom Rom .

New leaked ota for the RAZR. No it is not ICS, but there are some nice visual changes.

Download link and instructions (read thoroughly) can be found exclusively at droidrzr.com.

Link to thread for dl :
DroidRZR.com Leak of 6.12.173

________________________________________________________________________________

Changes noticed:

Because it is a leak, there is no changelog but you can see by the screenshots on droidrzr.com that the settings menu has changed visually. Also, I have noticed a couple of icons have changed as well like text messaging, mobile hotspot, and the stock music app. Of course, the Verizon bloat is there as well as two new bloat apps that I have noticed....mog music and slingbox which of course cannot be removed without root.

Camera......I may just be tired but this update seems to have made further improvements to the camera. The focus is almost instant and the clarity of the pic I just took looks amazing. Again, I may just be tired so don't hold it against me if I am wrong. Although I am curious to see if others will see the same thing.

Motocast..... It has been updated to sync both ways now. When you sign into motocast you can now opt to have all your photos and videos sent to your computer as well as you can set it up so that when you take a new photo it is uploaded to your home computer automatically. Of course you can turn off auto upload or even set it to only upload when connected to wifi.

Final edit: I watched the update go through the process and some things I noticed were.....

*patching new files for webtop
*unpacking new recovery
*updating bootloader
*updating LTE

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

nubia

Reaction score
How do I install if I'm totally stock... Not even rooted..Out of the box type stock
???

Sent from my DROID RAZR

breedingh8

Reaction score
How do I install if I'm totally stock... Not even rooted..Out of the box type stock
???

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Boot into stock recovery which I forgot the key combo for.. LOL and apply the zip from the stock moto recovery menu make sure to move it to /
Sdcard-ext so you'll be able to access it.. Let me know how it goes and someone what's the stock recovery combo? I usually use quickboot but I have to roorkeeper and the app needs root
Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
If you have no plans to root, just download the file, go into your files and move it to sdcard-ext (it cannot be on internal storage), go into recovery (see directions below), and install it.

The reason I say if you are not planning to root is because with it being so new (version 2.3.6) it is unknown if the current exploit for root will work after installed. So, if you think you may want root, find a thread on rooting and do that first.

Note: The directions on the original site state to run Fastboot files but this is only needed if your system is not clean. If you are 100% pure stock with 748 then you can just flash the update in stock recovery whether rooted or not. If you have used safestrap to set up a second system, you will have to fastboot back to 744 even if your nonsafe system was stock.

If rooted, you should install ota root keeper to be sure you do not lose root.

Stock recovery:
Power off device.
Hold down both volume buttons and power device back on.
Push volume down to highlight recover.
Push volume up to select.
When little green Android with triangle appears, press both volume buttons.
When menu comes up, use volume buttons to move to and highlight "install update".
Press power button to select.
Then highlight the newly downloaded zip and press power button.
Let it run.

REMEMBER: As always, you are doing this at your own risk and if you have problems, you may end up having to start all over with Fastboot files.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

Last edited:

breedingh8

Reaction score
If you have no plans to root, just download the file, go into your files and move it to sdcard-ext (it cannot be on internal storage), go into recovery (see directions below), and install it.

The reason I say if you are not planning to root is because with it being so new (version 2.3.6) it is unknown if the current exploit for root will work after installed. So, if you think you may want root, find a thread on rooting and do that first.

Note: The directions on the original site state to run Fastboot files but this is only needed if your system is not clean. If you are 100% pure stock with 748 then you can just flash the update in stock recovery whether rooted or not. If you have used safestrap to set up a second system, you will have to fastboot back to 744 even if your nonsafe system was stock.

Stock recovery:
Power off device.
When menu comes up, use volume buttons to move to and highlight "install update".
Let it run.

REMEMBER: As always, you are doing this at your own risk and if you have problems, you may end up having to start all over with Fastboot files.

Changes:
Because it is a leak, there is no changelog but you can see by the screenshots on droidrzr.com that the settings menu has changes visually. Also, I have noticed a couple of icons have changes like text messaging, mobile hotspot, and the stock music. Of course, the Verizon bloat is there as well as two new bloat apps that I have noticed....mog music and slingbox.

Hey jungle I'm just rooted running the latest ota.. Some frozen bloatware.. Do you think I really need to fastboot back to stock and start all over again?

breedingh8

Reaction score
Hey jungle I'm just rooted running the latest ota.. Some frozen bloatware.. Do you think I really need to fastboot back to stock and start all over again?

Nevermind it's failing guess I'll wait till tomorrow and do it per instructions.. I defrosted everything and unrooted no go.

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score

You shouldn't have to. If I were you just go ahead and try to run the update in stock recovery....it can't hurt. No need to wipe anything. Think about when the OTA officially comes we never have to wipe so this is no different. If something in your system doesn't jive with the update, it will simply fail to update and tell you update aborted. If that happens, you will most likely need to flash the Fastboot files with rsd.

I had pure stock as my non safe with Safestrap and tried to run the update and it failed so I had to flash and start from 744. I think the only reason it failed for me is because Safestrap actually makes changes to the system files. I am not a dev but i have plenty of experience messing around so this is just my educated guess why it fails.

Just download ota rootkeeper from the market and run it to temporary unrooted before you install so you don't lose root when you are back up and running.

breedingh8

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to. If I were you just go ahead and try to run the update in stock recovery....it can't hurt. No need to wipe anything. Think about when the OTA officially comes we never have to wipe so this is no different. If something in your system doesn't jive with the update, it will simply fail to update and tell you update aborted. If that happens, you will most likely need to flash the Fastboot files with rsd.

I had pure stock as my non safe with Safestrap and tried to run the update and it failed so I had to flash and start from 744. I think the only reason it failed for me is because Safestrap actually makes changes to the system files. I am not a dev but i have plenty of experience messing around so this is just my educated guess why it fails.

Just download ota rootkeeper from the market and run it to temporary unrooted before you install so you don't lose root when you are back up and running.

Thanks yeah tried failed innassertion on a path different from the first time I also have safe strap installed so sure your correct ill just do it correctly tomorrow getting late enjoy... I'll start from 744 in the AM :-D

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
Nevermind it's failing guess I'll wait till tomorrow and do it per instructions.. I defrosted everything and unrooted no go.

Well, that answers that. LOL. Like I said it failed for me too and I am sure it is because of Safestrap.

I ran rsd and the Fastboot file which brought me to 744, then I took the ota update to 748, then I rooted from 748 and used root keeper to temp unroot. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

iguanad

Reaction score
Does this help with 4g drops?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
Too early to know since the leak has only been out for a few hours and no official changelog available. I personally have not had a significant amount of drops like I read about so it would be hard for me to say for sure.

I do know that there were pretty big changes based on the size.... this update was three times bigger than the one that officially came out last month.

nubia

Reaction score

Stock recovery:
Power off device.
Let it run.

Should I unzip the downloaded file into the sd card before I go to this process?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
Should I unzip the downloaded file into the sd card before I go to this process?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

No. Once you download the file it needs to be in zip format. Don't do anything to the file itself other than move it if you have to. Just make sure it is on your sd card (external) and not internal storage.

Then if you are pure stock and never rooted or anything you can just follow the steps to recovery and flash the update zip.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So have you seen any changes that warrant upgrading to this version whatever it may be? My phone is more or less running perfectly on rooted 748 right now and don't want to invite problems in. Only problem I have had is sometimes it won't auto cap the letter "I" when typing messages.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Guys be VERY VERY VERY careful before flashing this update. You risk NEVER being able to upgrade in the future. Bionic owners found this out the hard way. I recommend not downloading it unless you don't mind being off the upgrade path potentially through the life of your contract w/ the RAZR

OP you should add this warning to the OP.