OTA 2.2 Won't Install

kyle4040

Reaction score
Well I am on 2.1-update1. I'm not rooted, no custom roms, no themes. I was previously rooted but I unrooted for this update.

Well I download the update and install it and it reboots my phone into an installing mode with the android icon and an open box. It gets about 1/4th through and it comes up with an error icon and reboots my phone. My phone reboots into Clockwork Recovery and from there I press "reboot my system now" and it just loads up my phone and says the update has failed. I have tried it 3 times now. Same "exact" thing has happened all 3 times.

I did a search and saw a thread with a similar problem as mine although their issue was that they had changed bloatware names. I have not done any of that, and I don't think I have uninstalled any bloatware apps.

Any help will be appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't upgrade because you still have clockwork installed. You need to get clockwork off your Droid. It should have come off when you went back to stock.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
might as well flash the SBF bc i have not seen any way of taking off clockwork.

OP
K

kyle4040

Reaction score
Damn so there's no other way to get clockwork off without flashing the sbf?

Is it possible to flash the sbf without losing all my files?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
not that i know of

and no. its a full reset back to "out-of-the-box" condition. back up what u need on the sdcard (use titanium backup too)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can try looking around for a way to remove clockwork or go onto koush's irc (#koush) and ask him but i dont think theres a way to remove it. not saying there isnt, but with all the posts i read, i havent seen one to remove it. bootstrap can be removed, though but thats not the case here.

OP
K

kyle4040

Reaction score
Well i looked around and saw this link that you gave to another guy.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/85127-how-install-remove-bootstrap-recovery.html

I followed those steps and then tried installing the update and now I still get the error when trying to install it, but when it reboots after getting the error it doesn't go into Clockwork Recovery anymore (but it went into Clockwork Recovery 3 times in a row when i did it before). Now it loads straight through to my phone after rebooting. So I fixed something but there is still another error.

I'm thinking removing the Clockwork Recovery was one of the problems, but there is more than 1 problem.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
A factory reset should fix this problem, and that will not cause any data on the SD card to be lost.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Abe what about uinistalling rom manager? Would that not also remove the clockwork? Just some food for thought here...

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rom manager is just an app it wont do anything.

OP
K

kyle4040

Reaction score
I did remove Rom manager.

I also removed Droid x Boostrap using this guide.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/85127-how-install-remove-bootstrap-recovery.html

I am not being rebooted into Clockwork Recovery after getting the error. I am going straight to my phone, but it still says the installation has failed.

I know flashing the SBF would be an easy solution to this problem but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of backing up all my info and re-doing everything that I have progressed on my phone.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rom manager does flash clockwork but its still only an app.

id suggest using titanium backup and backing up the apps & data that you need to then using the sbf. i had this problem so this is what i did to get the 2.2 update.