Update Installation failed! (2.3.15)

DickAngstrom

Reaction score
I rooted my droid x right out of the box, and I never even thought about checking the firmware version, which it turns out is 2.1 update1. I tried to install the 2.3.15 update, but during the installation it went from the normal "updating" icon (an open box with an android character) to an error icon. The phone then rebooted with about 30% of the update completed. I checked the status in the settings, and it said" update failed!" I've searched threads, and I haven't found any case exactly like mine. Could someone point me toward a relevant thread or tell me how I screwed up?

OP
D

DickAngstrom

Reaction score
Nevermind. Found relevant thread. Glad no one replied with smart-ass comment haha.

OP
D

DickAngstrom

Reaction score
yeah I'm updated.. The problem for me was that I followed a thread called "How to remove Bloatware" (bloatware meaning the apps that come stock that cannot be removed, e.g. Blockbuster, CityID, Amazon MP3, etc.) I turned the files from the file extension ".apk" to ".bak", rendering them temporarily useless and invisible. When I tried to upgrade to 2.2 using update 2.3.15, it wouldn't allow me to. I found some postings that said that you must have 2.1 or whatever version you have "as close to stock" as possible, meaning all the garbage apps must be turned back to .apk or if you deleted them, they must be reinstalled. Restoring factory settings alone didn't work for me, so I had to use ADB.

cd C:\droidroot
adb devices (should appear as a long number)
adb shell (should have a hash sign #)
su
cd /system/app
ls

after all that is done, it should have populated you a list of all your apps. If CityID and Blockbuster aren't in it, you need to install them. If they are in .bak format, change them to .apk.

I also had a problem when I tried to install a downloaded version of 2.2 over the net, and installing 2.2 only worked for me when I did the over-the-air download straight from Verizon.

Hope this helps.

joeLENN1012

Reaction score
What is the name of your swype file...i changed mine and cant find the original...case sensative too....Would be a great help!!!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Sorry. It's just:

Swype.apk

nickguz

Reaction score
hey i need to reinstall the bloatware to update, do you have a list of everything i need to download again?

Cameron72

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been having the same problem. All day I have been searching and installing the bloatware on my device, but when I get to where I believe I have them all installed, it still says update failed. Is there any way to know for sure I have them all installed? Im kind of uneducated on most of this stuff compared to the rest of you, so take it easy on me.. lol

motodroiduser

Reaction score
yeah I'm updated.. The problem for me was that I followed a thread called "How to remove Bloatware" (bloatware meaning the apps that come stock that cannot be removed, e.g. Blockbuster, CityID, Amazon MP3, etc.) I turned the files from the file extension ".apk" to ".bak", rendering them temporarily useless and invisible. When I tried to upgrade to 2.2 using update 2.3.15, it wouldn't allow me to. I found some postings that said that you must have 2.1 or whatever version you have "as close to stock" as possible, meaning all the garbage apps must be turned back to .apk or if you deleted them, they must be reinstalled. Restoring factory settings alone didn't work for me, so I had to use ADB.

adb devices (should appear as a long number)
adb shell (should have a hash sign #)
su
cd /system/app
ls

after all that is done, it should have populated you a list of all your apps. If CityID and Blockbuster aren't in it, you need to install them. If they are in .bak format, change them to .apk.

I also had a problem when I tried to install a downloaded version of 2.2 over the net, and installing 2.2 only worked for me when I did the over-the-air download straight from Verizon.

Hope this helps.

I am rooted as i have the SU Ninja on my phone (i think). i only say i think because i was rooted and then i upgraded to 2.3 so i dont know if it cancelled my root or not.

Anyway:

my problem is when i use "ados" to switch all the files i renamed back to .apk, whenever i type cd as the first command and press enter, i get the following sequences:

C:\>
C:\/c:\droidroot

what is that 3rd line (the returned message)? i cant even get a list of all my .apks