OS & Running Apps

bjlaird

Reaction score
I have 2 questions:

1. How to I locate and install 2.1 operating system?

2. How do I find what applications are running, and how do I stop them from running?

Last edited by a moderator:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. you can install once it's sent to you or you can manually install. you can find it on this forum (sorry can't find the link)

2. you can download Advanced Task Killer, this allows you to see what apps are running and lets you pick which one to "kill"

warrior21

Reaction score
If you go to settings>applications>running services you can stop them

OP
B

bjlaird

Reaction score
1. you can install once it's sent to you or you can manually install. you can find it on this forum (sorry can't find the link)

2. you can download Advanced Task Killer, this allows you to see what apps are running and lets you pick which one to "kill"

1. anyone know where to find it?

2. I have already installed Apollo ATK. I guess I don't understand how to find what apps are running and how much battery life they are using up.

warrior21

Reaction score

I've been there. No option to stop them, just clear memory or data space.
Which app are you trying to stop? When I press the application under running services it asks me if I'm sure I want to stop the app and then I either hit ok or cancel.

OP
B

bjlaird

Reaction score

I've been there. No option to stop them, just clear memory or data space.
Which app are you trying to stop? When I press the application under running services it asks me if I'm sure I want to stop the app and then I either hit ok or cancel.

Not any in particular. I'm just trying to find them, and have a better understanding of what to do with them.

OP
B

bjlaird

Reaction score
Is the 2.1 OS for the Android or the Droid?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hold it. Your questions suggest you are very new to your phone. Before you rush off and try to manually install the update and add useless task killers, relax and learn a bit about the computer with phone attached that you now own.

Believe me, you will stand a much better chance of having a well functioning device if you follow this advice.

OP
B

bjlaird

Reaction score
2. If you're trying to see what apps are using your battery, go to Settings>About Phone>Battery Usage.

I went to those settings, but there is no Battery Usage item.
There is Battery Status and Battery Level

OP
B

bjlaird

Reaction score

Hold it. Your questions suggest you are very new to your phone. Before you rush off and try to manually install the update and add useless task killers, relax and learn a bit about the computer with phone attached that you now own.

Believe me, you will stand a much better chance of having a well functioning device if you follow this advice.

YES, a very new "believer".
It's quite frustrating to see advise for some things I'm interested in, then don't know how to do it on MY phone.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

YES, a very new "believer".
It's quite frustrating to see advise for some things I'm interested in, then don't know how to do it on MY phone.

Most of us have been where you are now. And my advice wasn't meant in any way as a flame. This forum is a goldmine of useful information. And you can download the Droid Owners Manual from Motorola.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...tatic-Files/DROID_UG_Verizon_68000202474a.pdf

You might also want to consider spending $10 or so for the Droid Pocket Guide by Jason O'Grady. You can find it on Amazon. It's a very good largely non-technical (but with technical terms fairly well explained) guide to the phone. I purchased it when my wife got a Droid and it has been invaluable in reducing her questions.

Give yourself a couple of weeks and become familiar with the phone's stock behavior and the terminology associated with the technology. Then if you want to start hacking you'll be in a better position to separate good advice from bad.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is not really a thread on 2.1 it's more of a thread of someone trying to understand the Droid. Since it doesn't really concern itself with 2.1 I'm not deleting it, however I did change the title a bit.