running applications/services ...

zero7404

Reaction score
under manage applications, when i filter to show running applications i see many apps i don't use, such as facebook.

how does this differ from the running services section ? also, how do i go into the settings of the apps i don't use and set them so they don't run automatically ?

i am looking to streamline all the running services on my phone, so i can get some better performance.

non-rooted

modette

Reaction score
under manage applications, when i filter to show running applications i see many apps i don't use, such as facebook.

how does this differ from the running services section ? also, how do i go into the settings of the apps i don't use and set them so they don't run automatically ?

i am looking to streamline all the running services on my phone, so i can get some better performance.

non-rooted

From my understanding the phone is like Linux and unlike Windows just because it is shown as running it is not actually running till it is needed. By having the instance there it speeds up load times.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

non-rooted

From my understanding the phone is like Linux and unlike Windows just because it is shown as running it is not actually running till it is needed. By having the instance there it speeds up load times.

Correct. The term "running" would be better termed "in memory." If it helps, take a look at your Windows task manager on your computer. You'll see a tab labelled "processes." There are likely hundreds of them. You'll also see columns for "CPU" and "Memory." Sort by the CPU column and you'll see processes jumping all over the place. Any process that's labeled "00" is not "running" despite the fact that it's in "memory."

In the Android environment it's possible to have badly designed applications that unnecessarily trigger "running services," but the fact that an application is "in memory" doesn't mean it is "running." It's just sitting there. Don't worry about them.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score

non-rooted

Correct. The term "running" would be better termed "in memory." If it helps, take a look at your Windows task manager on your computer. You'll see a tab labelled "processes." There are likely hundreds of them. You'll also see columns for "CPU" and "Memory." Sort by the CPU column and you'll see processes jumping all over the place. Any process that's labeled "00" is not "running" despite the fact that it's in "memory."

In the Android environment it's possible to have badly designed applications that unnecessarily trigger "running services," but the fact that an application is "in memory" doesn't mean it is "running." It's just sitting there. Don't worry about them.

thanks all ...

he he ... well, if i had 'hundreds' of processes listed in the task manager, i would really be grinding my teeth trying to use the computer. i think there are some 50 or so processes listed ....

anyway, when i want speed i use ubuntu ....

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
[
thanks all ...

he he ... well, if i had 'hundreds' of processes listed in the task manager, i would really be grinding my teeth trying to use the computer. i think there are some 50 or so processes listed ....

anyway, when i want speed i use ubuntu ....

As we used to say about engines, cubic inches solve every problem. :) Just checked my desktop system and I have 180 processes running. And of course you're right. I've long thought that Microsoft is secretly controlled by Intel and it's all just a plot to sell more hardware.

Christoph3r

Reaction score
Ok, but back to the OP's question.

If he doesn't use Facebook, then why wouldn't he want to keep it from showing up? It's just plain annoying to see it there if you don't want it.

I just upgraded to 2.2 and now I'm getting Yahoo! email notifications that I wasn't before. It's aggravating that I have to waste my time figuring out how to get it back to how it was already (not making noise everytime an email comes in, and not running unless I LAUNCHED it myself).

There should be an obvious and simple way to tell your phone that you don't want it to run applications that you don't want!