OpenVPN in Sholes Mod

ruinah

Reaction score
I installed the Sholes mod today from the marketplace (easy as pie) and I have a question about OpenVPN. I'd like to connect up to a Cisco firewall using IPSEC with group authentication with key. Is that possible with OpenVPN? I went through the menus but didn't seem obvious to me on how to configure it properly. Hoping to be able to establish VPN and then hit company intranet from the Droid. Any help would be appreciated. I read some threads on OpenVPN but they were mainly on installation. Thanks in advance.

REARless

Reaction score
Good luck with that. I have been trying to get it to work for a couple of months now. I admit that I am not a LINUX guru, but I usually can fumble my way around. (I have administered UNIX/LINUX servers in the past.)

If you do figure it out, please PM me.

Here is something that I found at alldroid.org, but I could not get it to work:

AllDroid - View topic - Got VPN Connections working with Sholes Kernel....finally

Last edited:
OP
ruinah

ruinah

Reaction score
since I rooted yesterday I was able to tether my ipod touch to the Droid wirelessly and launch VPN from the touch. I could then get to the intranet stuff via Safari and even launch Citrix apps from the Citrix receiver. Backwards way of doing it but it worked well. I won't hold my breath for a decent IPSEC client with group authentication but you never know I guess.

Artimis

Reaction score
Good luck with that. I have been trying to get it to work for a couple of months now. I admit that I am not a LINUX guru, but I usually can fumble my way around. (I have administered UNIX/LINUX servers in the past.)

If you do figure it out, please PM me.

Here is something that I found at alldroid.org, but I could not get it to work:

AllDroid - View topic - Got VPN Connections working with Sholes Kernel....finally

It took me HOURS of trying to get it working. You can't use OpenVPN to connect. You need to download "VPN Connections": Downloads - get-a-robot-vpnc - Project Hosting on Google Code

You don't need to download/install the tun driver mentioned on that site. It is already built into the sholes kernel (and you won't be able to push files to /system/lib/modules on the sholes kernel anyway).

Once VPN Connections is installed, you will get "Failed Connection" every time you try to connect to a cisco router unless you do the steps provided on all android........and if those don't work for you, let me know and I'll try to help get it working.