Oh No! Did I brick Rezound?

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am rooted but haven't installed a custom ROM yet.
Pretty happy with stock OS and no bloat.

In an effort to reduce the things that could be burning battery life I was in Titanium freezing things.
The last things I remember freezing were weather and various Verizon stuff, Vcast, etc.

Now I can boot the phone, but it skips the lock screen and goes right to the main desktop, or so it seems.
I can see the status bar and it's live. The clock advances, the battery shows charging.
However I cannot see any icons on the desktop and the screen doesn't respond to any touches.
Soft buttons don't respond either.

I removed the battery, wait a couple minutes, rebooted, same result.

Any idea what I did wrong and/or how to fix it?

Thanks
B

chevihemi

Reaction score
Did you make a backup of your system before you did all this? It sounds like you froze something that also runs the OS. If you have a backup, its simple, just restore it and try again. Something you might try instead is called "Clean Tool" that automates the bloatware removal process. If you don't have a backup of yoru system, you will need to download and install it. Do you have Clockwork or Aman Ra recoveries installed?

Here is a link to an XDA thread where you can get the stock backup images. I think you would have to re-root it after you install this.

[ROM]Vigor Shipped ROM Collection - xda-developers

Hope this all solves your problem as it seems software and related to your freezing of apps.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you accidentally freeze the home launcher? I thinks its called Rosie?

[sent from an unlocked Rezound]

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
OK.
So, I'm learning.
I did a factory restore and was prepared to go though the rooting process again, but, it turns out, I still have root.
I guess that's what they mean by "permanent root".
:blink:
Der!!

So, I guess there is a way to make a backup of the system from the recovery?
Is that available from the stock OS or do I have to flash that separately?
Will that mess with the stock OS?
Where does it store the backup?

Thanks
B

jchammer123

Reaction score
You need to install a custom recovery like cwm or amon ra. Then you reboot into recovery and make a backup. It will not mess with the os. The backup will be stored on your sd card.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Can I do that with ROM Manager or is it a more complicated procedure?

B

chevihemi

Reaction score
you should be able to do it with ROM manager (flashing the recovery) but you will have to reboot into recovery and select the "Backup/Restore" option. Pretty simple to do.

Here's a YouTube on making a backup: (for a G1 but the interface is the exact same)

[video=youtube;zEMnIOb3bIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEMnIOb3bIQ[/video]

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Cool.
I've got clockwork mod in the pro version of rom manager.

Is this kind of like creating an image of the OS?
Can I make more than one backup?

chevihemi

Reaction score
yes, exactly like making an image of your OS. It saves the phone exactly as it is when you run the backup...texts, call logs, contacts, apps, ect. You can make as many backups as your heart desires...plan on using about a Gig of storage for each backup though. Having a backup image makes trying out different ROM quick and painless if you don't like what you just installed.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Cool.

It just occurred to me that I was testing out battery monitor and app killer apps prior to the crash.
Could one of those, or a combination of them have contributed to the crash or was it more likely that I froze something that I shouldn't have?

I realize that this is probably speculation but I thought I'd ask.

B
Loving my rooted bloatfree Rezound!

chevihemi

Reaction score
doubtful, im pretty sure you just froze something that was required for the OS to run correctly.

jchammer123

Reaction score
Have you tried to use rom manager to flash cwm? I don't think it works for the rezound yet. As of a few days ago, there wasn't an official version of cwm yet.

jchammer123

Reaction score
I haven't heard of any problems with amon ra, and haven't had any issues either.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
I never got CWR working either and I just ended up using Aman Ra with great sucess

Yeah, same here.
I tried a long time last night and could not get it to work.
How do I install Aman Ra?
Download and flash with fastboot?
If so, what state does the Rezound need to be in?
Is it on, plugged in to the computer in charge mode or does it need to be booted into the bootloader?

Thanks

B
Loving my rooted bloatfree Rezound!