Bought used possible bricked phone, can I unbrick?

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
My rezound's screen doesn't work. I'm starting to think the previous owner tried to root and bricked the phone. My orange charge light comes on, but as soon as I press the power button it goes off and nothing happens. I've checked battery voltage and it's at 4.01v, so it appears it's fully charged.

"IF" the phone was rooted and bricked, not knowing anything about how/when/why..... can I set it back to stock in any way, shape or form?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Saw your name, wanted to welcome you to the droid forums :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey Vetteguy, when you checked the battery voltage, did you do so with a load of about 400mAh?? If not, then you are looking at the "open circuit" voltage which will always be higher. Once the phone attempts to boot, it places a load on the battery, and if the battery is in a poor state of charge, the voltage will drop quickly and could dip below the boot minimum, triggering the symptoms you are experiencing.

OP
V

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
I thought about that, but what is the easiest way to test with a load? I tried touching the leads to the battery terminals but they just push the battery away from the contacts.

OP
V

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
I've already got the phone apart, so I just took the red backing off and held the battery in place, with my wifes help we touched the + and - and it's only getting 0.50 volts and slowly drops, so I'll let it charge overnight and try again tomorrow. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

OP
V

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
Shouldn't the phone boot while plugged in though? Even with a bad batt or no batt I would think it would try?

OP
V

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
will somebody please take the battery out and plug their power cable in and see if the phone turns on without a battery?

OP
V

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
Ok, just got home to a green light full charge on the phone. With the phone still apart I verified with my multimeter that it's getting 4.31v and when the power button is pressed it drops to 4.28, yet the phone appears dead, no vibration from the motor, no sounds, nothing!

When you guys turn your Rezound on, does the charge light also turn on and what color? Is that light only orange when charging and green when full charge, but not on at all when phone is turned on normally? I'm just looking for other ways to verify a dead LCD before I buy one.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Bump... sorry, I'm not able to help, but I'm bumping ya to try to get you some help :)

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry I didn't see this one amid all the ICS chatter. No the phone will not boot without a battery.

First let's try to get you into the phone...Put everything back together(obviously). Try to boot into HBOOT. Hold power and volume down. If this works, half the battle is done. If you have a "Recovery" option, Select it(use vol up/down to change selection and power to activate). Report back what you see.

If this doesn't work, also report back. The previous owner may have had clockworkmod recovery on the phone and that has known issues with a depleted battery.

OP
V

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
Nope, holding volume down button and power button doesn't cause the phone to do anything.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. When you plug the phone in, does the light go orange for a few seconds then turn off?

OP
V

vetteguy112233

Reaction score
Sometimes it shows orange then shuts off, sometimes it stays solid orange. I've left it to charge overnight and it eventually changed green.