Official STOCK 901 Update Thread (No Rooting Discussions)

jkliving92

Reaction score
Ever since I updated to 901 my phone keeps switching between 3g and 4g constantly both with strong signals. Is it my phone or verizons network? It didn't do it on 5.7.893

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Honestly with how unreliable the lte network has been there's no telling which is the culprit. My opinion is its Verizon. The 901 has fixed to many bionics for me to expect its the update. Just my opinion though. There always the slight chance it effects your phone in a completely different way than everybody elses and either have no positive affects or actually have negative affects.

Last edited:

toyosup88

Reaction score
Honestly with how unreliable the lte network has been there's no telling which is the culprit. My opinion is its Verizon. The 901 has fixed to many bionics for me to expect its the update. Just my opinion though. There always the slight chance it effects your phone in a completely different way than everybody elses and either have no positive affects or actually have negative affects.

I have a feeling it's the network too. Hopefully it's not the phone

hts4215

Reaction score
I have a feeling it's the network too. Hopefully it's not the phone

I'm thinking that as well, though after my reset yesterday the phone has been hanging onto the 4g signal a lot better today... will see.

springbionic

Reaction score
When you check for updates, you are sending a ping to the carrier, who checks your current version with what you're scheduled to receive. OTA is RANDOM; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics the same day one could get the update days after the other. This means that your phone will be "up to date" until your phone is scheduled to get it, even though others have gotten it OTA.

In other words; if your phone is scheduled to receive the .901 update on 18th at 3:56AM, your phone will say that it's "Up To Date" until that time, even though others have gotten it since the 12th.
So, I found out about this update yesterday afternoon when my phone said a new update was available. I tapped the button to download and install it, but it immediately said it was unable to download the update (I was at work, and reception is VERY spotty). I thought, "I can install it when I get home," but every time I check for updates it says my phone is up to date, but the version still says .893. Did I miss my chance, or will it offer the update again at some point?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, I found out about this update yesterday afternoon when my phone said a new update was available. I tapped the button to download and install it, but it immediately said it was unable to download the update (I was at work, and reception is VERY spotty). I thought, "I can install it when I get home," but every time I check for updates it says my phone is up to date, but the version still says .893. Did I miss my chance, or will it offer the update again at some point?

AFAIK, if you're scheduled to receive it, any time you turn the phone on you should get the notice. Updates can download in the background and you'll get a notice to install (rather that download and install). Updates (for the unrooted) are mandatory; if you decline it'll ask an hour later.

5.5.893 is the current OTA version while 5.9.901 is the version that went OTA to just a few. You can install it manually, if you want to.

Rckymtn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post.

I manually updated my phone to the latest 901 update and my phone is running great. Data drops are very seldom now and battery life has increased tremendously!

Thanks for the walk throughs on how to install from the sd card!

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Not sure if the problems are completely network related or just the phone. My Bionic never got any worse data coverage than my original Droid did. But we just got my girlfriend the new iPhone and she gets data in areas where I can't even get a phone call. Both of us are on Verizon in the Northern Midwest, where US Cellular is the most reliable service all around.

Since my update to 901, I do seem to have more reliable data, but it's nothing compared to her iPhone. Not sure about my battery life, but I recently discovered Google currents, so I've been using that a lot lately.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

FrankieZee

Reaction score
And before anyone can say it, I know the iPhone is not a 4G phone. I'm just using it as an example to compare data coverage between two devices on the same network. :)

If these issues were mostly with the carrier itself, I would think I would at least have 3G along with a different device on the same network.

Then again, I can't say I know exactly how 4G works as compared to 3G. I just know I like it when I have it!

nateohio

Reaction score
And before anyone can say it, I know the iPhone is not a 4G phone. I'm just using it as an example to compare data coverage between two devices on the same network. :)

If these issues were mostly with the carrier itself, I would think I would at least have 3G along with a different device on the same network.

Then again, I can't say I know exactly how 4G works as compared to 3G. I just know I like it when I have it!

That's a bad comparison. The 4G phones have a different way of communicating with the towers even in 3G mode. From everything I've read, it seems like the hangup is somewhere in the authentication procedure for the 4G devices.

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Ahh, then that shoots my theory down. But it also gives me hope that they're hard at work fixing it!

Scribble

Reaction score
That's a bad comparison. The 4G phones have a different way of communicating with the towers even in 3G mode. From everything I've read, it seems like the hangup is somewhere in the authentication procedure for the 4G devices.

Yep. Apparently since Verizon wants to move completely to 4g within the next couple of years they wanted the 4g phones to even authenticate 3g with the same system they use for 4g. Supposedly to make the transition nice and smooth. Which obviously worked right? ;)

steelman52

Reaction score
I had updated my Bionic with the leaked 5.7.??? and it wouldn't take the .901 update. So, I used the method posted earlier in this thread to take it back to stock 5.5.886. Now, when it tries to update to the OTA update it fails every time. It also fails when I try to do the .901 update which I have installed on the SD card. The phone has never been rooted, just the leaked updates installed. Any help would be appreciated...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had updated my Bionic with the leaked 5.7.??? and it wouldn't take the .901 update. So, I used the method posted earlier in this thread to take it back to stock 5.5.886. Now, when it tries to update to the OTA update it fails every time. It also fails when I try to do the .901 update which I have installed on the SD card. The phone has never been rooted, just the leaked updates installed. Any help would be appreciated...

You'll need to be at 5.5.893 for the 5.9.901 update to work. See post #117 above.

steelman52

Reaction score
You'll need to be at 5.5.893 for the 5.9.901 update to work. See post #117 above.

That's my problem. The 5.5.893 OTA update keeps failing. The link you pointed me to on post #117 says it roots the phone when it does it's thing, and I really wasn't wanting to root it, just get it back to stock and on the upgrade path. Are there any other fixes to get it back to stock that doesn't root the phone? (I've already done the fix to take it from 5.7.897(?) to 5.5.886, which was supposed to get it to a state to accept the 5.5.893 OTA update, but something has gone foul)

Last edited: