Official STOCK 901 Update Thread (No Rooting Discussions)

cybric

Reaction score
I just downloaded and installed 901 on my latest refurb sent to me when tech support didn't realize there was a data outage last week. My touchscreen is working just fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mattyj724

Reaction score
I realized it was only happening while it was plugged in. I never really type while plugged in so not a problem. I still lost data twice since upgraded. Other than that seems ok.

FrankieZee

Reaction score
So first off, I'm completely new to this. I followed all the steps, but when I try rebooting from recovery, I get the little droid icon with an exclamation point in a triangle. I let it sit for abut 20 minutes and nothing happened so I pulled the battery and rebooted normal.

Is it supposed to take that long? Or am I doing something wrong?

cybric

Reaction score
I think at that point you push the up and down volume buttons.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
After the droid with the exclamation I believe you need to hit the volume keys and possibly the power again, i forget exactly but then you will be at the recovery screen.

I am running 5.9.901 and it works great!! It has solved all of my data issues and in 5 days ive had to airplane mode 1x which is a record for me. Now as good as it is that Motorola is fixing the Bionic, i hope this is their final Gingerbread update and they put 110% effort into ICS.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So first off, I'm completely new to this. I followed all the steps, but when I try rebooting from recovery, I get the little droid icon with an exclamation point in a triangle. I let it sit for abut 20 minutes and nothing happened so I pulled the battery and rebooted normal.

Is it supposed to take that long? Or am I doing something wrong?

Here's the steps I used:

1. Make sure the file is on the root of your SD card (not internal storage). That is SD-EXT
2. Power phone down
3. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
4. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
5. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
6. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
7. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

What you were missing was step #4, as mattyj24 and dpw2atox suggested.

Last edited:

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Awesome! Got it now, thanks! Hopefully, it works as advertised!

FrankieZee

Reaction score
First full day with .901, and I have only dropped data once, right as I picked up the phone to post this. But it recovered quickly enough. That being said, I'm in a non 4G area. Still running 3G while at work, but have 4G at home.

debrad0307

Reaction score
hey guys... trying to do this update in stock recovery. getting an error

"assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/BooksPhone.apk", "f50a23588051f9e0d8c06f7411016f9c360e7a6". e085b2e8b03396bfa9f836a82f7e7b649cfed682")
E: Error in tmp/sideload/package.zxip
(Status7)
Installation aborted.

copied the file directly into my SD card. Not sure what this means
Any help would be appreciated..

Thank you much (In advanced).

EDIT: nevermind. i know what i did wrong. i froze some apps. restoring system now.. wish me luck .:fingers crossed:.

EDITx2: well i believe that i was able to update. now i am going to test this out. be back tomorrow for my verdict. thank you for linking this to everyone. keep up the good work!!!

Last edited:

greenturtle36

Reaction score
Here's the steps I used:1. Make sure the file is on the root of your SD card (not internal storage). That is SD-EXT2. Power phone down3. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.4. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.5. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.6. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.7. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)What you were missing was step #4, as mattyj24 and dpw2atox suggested.
If I do this, will my phone data be wiped? Please let me know exactly what I need to back up.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I do this, will my phone data be wiped? Please let me know exactly what I need to back up.

Did you get the 5.5.893 OTA update? If so, it'll be exactly like that. No need to back up anything.

What happened to me, on both the OTA 893 and the manual 901, was that I had lost the BT setting in my car. It took a couple of minutes to reestablish it, but after that it works like it did before.

UPDATE: I see in your other post that you installed a leaked version of 5.5.893. The .901 update should be the same as that.

Last edited:

dmdubois

Reaction score
sd-ext

I'd like to apply this update, and have downloaded the file to my computer, but when I try to add it to my sd card, I don't see "SD-EXT" anywhere on the card. Can I drag and drop the file onto my SD card, or do I need specifically to put it on or in an SD-EXT folder?

Also (and I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions), I want to put the whole .zip file on, yes? I don't need to extract or unzip the thing and apply only pieces of it, correct?

Thanks!

deduct

Reaction score
Try downloading es file explorer from market. Thats the file manager i have used to apply all of my leaked updates. It makes it a little easier to move files around. When you get it. Open downloads folder. Long press on file, select move to sd card- ext. You should be good to go. Just reboot into stock recovery, select the update you want to run.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

dmdubois

Reaction score
Try downloading es file explorer from market. Thats the file manager i have used to apply all of my leaked updates. It makes it a little easier to move files around. When you get it. Open downloads folder. Long press on file, select move to sd card- ext. You should be good to go. Just reboot into stock recovery, select the update you want to run.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Thanks so much!! Worked perfectly, and am running .901! Love this phone!!

greenturtle36

Reaction score
OK. I'm willing to wait until the official OTA update comes but I'm afraid that my phone won't take it, as it's still saying "your phone is up to date" etc.