Official STOCK 901 Update Thread (No Rooting Discussions)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK. I'm willing to wait until the official OTA update comes but I'm afraid that my phone won't take it, as it's still saying "your phone is up to date" etc.

When you check for updates, you are sending a ping to the carrier, who checks your current version with what you're scheduled to receive. OTA is RANDOM; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics the same day one could get the update days after the other. This means that your phone will be "up to date" until your phone is scheduled to get it, even though others have gotten it OTA.

In other words; if your phone is scheduled to receive the .901 update on 18th at 3:56AM, your phone will say that it's "Up To Date" until that time, even though others have gotten it since the 12th.

I'd like to apply this update, and have downloaded the file to my computer, but when I try to add it to my sd card, I don't see "SD-EXT" anywhere on the card. Can I drag and drop the file onto my SD card, or do I need specifically to put it on or in an SD-EXT folder?

Also (and I'm sorry if these are ridiculous questions), I want to put the whole .zip file on, yes? I don't need to extract or unzip the thing and apply only pieces of it, correct?

Thanks!

I know that deduct helped you, but the other method (I'm using a PC) is to make sure USB debugging is checked by going into Menu>Settings>Applications>Development. When you connect your phone to your computer you should see the option of Mass USB Storage. Use that and you should get two drives come up. One is MOT (internal) and the Removable Disc is your external (aka SD-EXT). SD-EXT is where the update file would go and it would be put in the main area, no folder. And no, you don't have toe extract anything; the phone will do that.

BTW, if you do connect your phone to your computer this way, be sure to eject BOTH drives when you're done.

Last edited:

dmdubois

Reaction score
When you check for updates, you are sending a ping to the carrier, who checks your current version with what you're scheduled to receive. OTA is RANDOM; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics the same day one could get the update days after the other. This means that your phone will be "up to date" until your phone is scheduled to get it, even though others have gotten it OTA.

In other words; if your phone is scheduled to receive the .901 update on 18th at 3:56AM, your phone will say that it's "Up To Date" until that time, even though others have gotten it since the 12th.

I know that deduct helped you, but the other method (I'm using a PC) is to make sure USB debugging is checked by going into Menu>Settings>Applications>Development. When you connect your phone to your computer you should see the option of Mass USB Storage. Use that and you should get two drives come up. One is MOT (internal) and the Removable Disc is your external (aka SD-EXT). SD-EXT is where the update file would go and it would be put in the main area, no folder. And no, you don't have toe extract anything; the phone will do that.

BTW, if you do connect your phone to your computer this way, be sure to eject BOTH drives when you're done.

Thanks for this. The advice and instruction provided on this site is just great -- you all make owning this phone a lot of fun!

One question: Now that I'm running .901, is it OK to remove the .zip from the SD card?

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Another question: if we installed this leaked update instead of waiting for the official Verizon update, have we been taken off the stock update path?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Tonik

Reaction score
Another question: if we installed this leaked update instead of waiting for the official Verizon update, have we been taken off the stock update path?

Nobody knows for sure except Moto and possibly VZ. But Moto for sure released it to some people over the air, so my OPINION is they darn well better support it and they will. If not, no biggie there is P3's awesome restore system as a backup.

don_droid

Reaction score

Many people have commented on the data problems and disccussed on how it is VZW faults and that 901 might not help. 901 contains three updates that might help with this issues on VZW network.
  1. Patch for Alcatel-Lucent LTE infrastructure R9 support
  2. Dual IMSI support
  3. Excessive LTE handover attempts (SIB8 messaging processing)
The IMSI and the R9 support sounds like some they might help fix some of the issues that was describe from VZW authentication issues. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

bionic805er

Reaction score
Yea same here how do you get that ota update 9.01 I believe or when are we all gonna have it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

jkliving92

Reaction score
Yea same here how do you get that ota update 9.01 I believe or when are we all gonna have it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

You can download it on one of the pages at the beginning of the thread.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

hts4215

Reaction score
After the 901 upgrade I started to get more data drops than before, but I suspect part of it was another 4g outage, but who knows. In my house I typically can get 1 to 4 bars of 4g signal, depending on where I am in the house. Before the upgrade there were only 1 or 2 areas in the house where I experienced data drops consistently. After, it was more often than not and when it did come back it was typically 3G. Tried taking battery and sim card out, but did not help.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to try a factory reset to see if it would help. Aside from wasting 2 hours getting everything setup again, it seems better for now. I'll keep monitoring to see what happens and let you guys know.

bassman1547

Reaction score
I installed 901 by downloading and then into recovery, from where I installed it..no problems. I was already running the leaked 893..

Last edited:

cokerchuck

Reaction score
hey guys... trying to do this update in stock recovery. getting an error

"assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/BooksPhone.apk", "f50a23588051f9e0d8c06f7411016f9c360e7a6". e085b2e8b03396bfa9f836a82f7e7b649cfed682")
E: Error in tmp/sideload/package.zxip
(Status7)
Installation aborted.

copied the file directly into my SD card. Not sure what this means
Any help would be appreciated..

Thank you much (In advanced)

I got this same error, and am on the leaked version 5.7.893. I tried to flash back to 5.5.886, but my phone still shows 5.7.893. I am NOT rooted. WTF?

toyosup88

Reaction score
Ever since I updated to 901 my phone keeps switching between 3g and 4g constantly both with strong signals. Is it my phone or verizons network? It didn't do it on 5.7.893