off or on?

Skullz48

Reaction score
Is it better to turn my Maxx off when charging, or does it hurt anything leaving it on?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome to the DROID forums.. leaving you device powered on while charging can lead to a parasitic effect on your battery... and instead of 100%, your battery may only be at 90%.... also powering off your device allows it to sort things out... which is a good thing.. it helps my maxx's.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Lt is right. It's better off.
But it does no harm whatsoever to charge while on

Edit....especially during those short "70 to 80" or like charges. To fully charge to 100, better off

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Agreed^^^

cbreze

Reaction score
I prefer to be available while my phone charges and believe these types of batteries are designed to charge while on. I've never heard of having any issues charging an Li-ion battery while on. I have always charged over nite while sleeping and have never had any issue whatsoever. My phone is always on. Not trying to contradict anyone but it seems everybody stresses over battery. I've never had to replace one yet and always go all day and mostly have plenty leftover. Just my .02 and experience.

Last edited:
OP
Skullz48

Skullz48

Reaction score
I was just curious. I need to be available for work calls so i normally leave it on and charge to 90% then off for a full charge. Can't always do that though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

cbreze

Reaction score
I was just curious. I need to be available for work calls so i normally leave it on and charge to 90% then off for a full charge. Can't always do that though.

Are you saying that it only charges to 90%? Then you turn it off to get ten more? That's nuts. My Maxx always charges to 100% and is on 24/7 constantly. I just don't get the 90% thing, weird.

CtrlZ

Reaction score
I leave mine on all the time. It's my alarm clock too. It always says charged when I wake up and the indicator on my go widget says 100%.
Honestly I didn't know it wasn't suggested

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Are you saying that it only charges to 90%? Then you turn it off to get ten more? That's nuts. My Maxx always charges to 100% and is on 24/7 constantly. I just don't get the 90% thing, weird.

With ics, he could have things running like the browser or any of several apps, that are slowing the charge process. Also the charger slows its rate of charge at 90% to avoid bump charges or overcharges... something I just experienced with my drummers maxx, if it overcharged, it does the same thing that it does if its undercharged.. BSOD...

cbreze

Reaction score
I leave mine on all the time. It's my alarm clock too. It always says charged when I wake up and the indicator on my go widget says 100%.
Honestly I didn't know it wasn't suggested
This is also the first I've had heard of this. I will continue as I have been. No battery issues in over ten years at least, not changing what's been working for me. Ciao

cbreze

Reaction score
With ics, he could have things running like the browser or any of several apps, that are slowing the charge process. Also the charger slows its rate of charge at 90% to avoid bump charges or overcharges... something I just experienced with my drummers maxx, if it overcharged, it does the same thing that it does if its undercharged.. BSOD...

Yeah, everybody's different. I seldom stop running apps they just do their thing. So overnight while I'm charging I'm sure I have more than one browser running and a bunch of other stuff. So interesting info, but is any of this actually confirmed by motorola or some Li-ion battery maker? Or is it from personal experience and observations. My info on battery usage is strictly from personal experience. I generally stick with what's been working for me.

OP
Skullz48

Skullz48

Reaction score
No. It charges all the way. I just physically turn it off and plug in for that last little bit when i can.it probably doesn't really matter, I've just read a lot that says its better for them if the phone is off.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah, everybody's different. I seldom stop running apps they just do their thing. So overnight while I'm charging I'm sure I have more than one browser running and a bunch of other stuff. So interesting info, but is any of this actually confirmed by motorola or some Li-ion battery maker? Or is it from personal experience and observations. My info on battery usage is strictly from personal experience. I generally stick with what's been working for me.

The charge info comes from the battery institute and moto. Also from our battery guru FoxKat, and the last part... personal experience :)

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
For those who have not heard of the "Battery Charging" info/issues/education here on this Forum, definately do a search and visit the sub-forum dedicated to Smart Phone Battery Discussion.
More to it than meets the eye, you may even get a charge out of it.....:blink: