Nightime..ON vs Sleep vs Off

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
For shame on you all, you should be powering off your device while charging at night. Professor FoxKat would make you all write on the chalkboard if he saw this. :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
For shame on you all, you should be powering off your device while charging at night. Professor FoxKat would make you all write on the chalkboard if he saw this. :biggrin:

Well, I'm not so strict as to say charging with power off every night, and doing so every night will lead to reduced battery longevity over time (500 charges or less before it will only hold 70% of its original capacity). That may not be a big problem for MAXX users, and depending on how soon you replace it, may not really be an issue at all, but would probably be a big issue for RAZR users and those who will have their phones for 2 or more years.

I recommended doing power-off charges either only when you absolutely need the maximum staying power, and during meter trainings.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2 with voice to text translation. Please pardon minor errors.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well look at me with ink on my face, I have been charging with my phone powered off almost every night. I shall put an end to that promptly, and only do it when I do my occasional deep discharge/charge cycle.

blowabs

Reaction score
Well, I'm not so strict as to say charging with power off every night, and doing so every night will lead to reduced battery longevity over time (500 charges or less before it will only hold 70% of its original capacity). That may not be a big problem for MAXX users, and depending on how soon you replace it, may not really be an issue at all, but would probably be a big issue for RAZR users and those who will have their phones for 2 or more years.

I recommended doing power-off charges either only when you absolutely need the maximum staying power, and during meter trainings.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2 with voice to text translation. Please pardon minor errors.

thanks FoxKat for these batt tips ...i had no [battery] life b4 the MAXX, as i owned the iphone 4S[..ck]:biggrin:

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Ok, I am a little confused about charging......

Charge off or on? Charge when battery hits a certain level? Top off charge? Deep discharge and charge routine?

It's not like the the manual is very informative and you ask 6 different Verizon staff, you get six different answers?

I have been charging mine when the battery level hits below 20%, then do a full charge when the unit is off. I would like to do this during sleep hours but, I keep hearing it's bad to leave it on a charger when it's complete.

This thing uses enough energy as is, I would like to keep my battery as healthy as long as I can

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Ok, I am a little confused about charging......

Charge off or on? Charge when battery hits a certain level? Top off charge? Deep discharge and charge routine?

It's not like the the manual is very informative and you ask 6 different Verizon staff, you get six different answers?

I have been charging mine when the battery level hits below 20%, then do a full charge when the unit is off. I would like to do this during sleep hours but, I keep hearing it's bad to leave it on a charger when it's complete.

This thing uses enough energy as is, I would like to keep my battery as healthy as long as I can

Charge off, I don't ever let my battery get below 15%, as far as I know topping off is fine, and that can be done while on, but you'll get better results with it off.

From what you describe you're doing fine.

Are you using the task manager? How about smart actions? What's your screen brightness set at? Lots of things including a weak signal will effect your battery life.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Per Motorola Technical Support...

They advised me that you can safely charge with the phone on or off, at any level. There is protective circuitry that prevents a battery from overcharging and/or overheating.

Also, you should turn your Razr Maxx on/off once a day. This "refreshes" and shuts down any apps potentially running in the background.

They also recommended, when new, to do a full battery depletion followed by a full charging.

That's what THEY said. :) Thank you, 94ltr.

As far as the other Task Manager, Smart Actions, etc.......I am still trying to read about what they do. LOL!

Last edited:

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Lmfao

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2