Now that you have the Moto Droid, Your opinion on the Keyboard?

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Ok I like the keyboard ok, it serves its purpose. But I think I prefer the on screen key board better. I have never used an on screen keyboard so I have nothing to compare it to. I need to use the physical one more so I can get used to it. But I'm coming from a blackberry so its hard to change from that keyboard.

kev83202

Reaction score
I'm kinda going the other way, I thought it was pretty good when I got it this morning but it's slowly getting worse for me. The problem is with the d-pad and and the chin both on the right hand side making it way off center. I they would have just got the keyboard in them middle of the phone I think it would be great.

I don't mind the on screen keyboard and I think that is what I will end up using most of the time, I still think it's nice to have the slide out for some things though.

I can still type faster on my storm1, but I had it for a year so we'll see. Overall though the phone is awsome and i'll take a little slower typing for all the other benifits.

S

SteveF

The top row is definitely an issue, and it would be nice if the the keyboard wasnt flat, but it is usable......

Spanky

Reaction score
I'm getting used to it faster than I got used to the Storm's keyboard.

Already love this phone..........

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I've had the phone for an hour and have to say that I REALLY like the keyboard lol

It's really not a big deal as far as usability for me. Ofcourse it's not a BB keyboard but it doesn't matter to me. It's a Droid and it's it's own unique piece of hardware.

This phone is fantastic so far. I need some more time to explore it but so far EVERYTHING has been seamless. From emails to the camera to the keyboard. I'm VERY pleased...

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I've had the phone for an hour and have to say that I REALLY like the keyboard lol

It's really not a big deal as far as usability for me. Ofcourse it's not a BB keyboard but it doesn't matter to me. It's a Droid and it's it's own unique piece of hardware.

This phone is fantastic so far. I need some more time to explore it but so far EVERYTHING has been seamless. From emails to the camera to the keyboard. I'm VERY pleased...

Yeah, Me Too !!! :icon_ banana:

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I like it. No issues here. Even the top row is ok. Wish it was centered but that's about it.

A

amsprich

I've been playing with it all day and it's and it's not too bad at all. It's not great but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the reviews have made it out to be. It just takes a little getting used to. Considering how seriously amazing this phone is over all, it shouldn't be a reason for anyone to not get this phone. I'm already fairly used to it... more over the on-screen touch keyboard is the best I've ever used.

I noticed my previous LG Voyager only had 4 rows. They could have a put a full number row on top and used the bottom row for letters and the 2 empty spaces for the 'space'. I also wish they'd stick the D-pad on the other side... more like a game controller. (like the click) I don't know about everyone else and I'm not even a gamer.. but I'd just prefer that.

Infernalblaze

Reaction score
i was already kinda used to the on screen keyboard because i had an iPhone before the Droid. The only problem that i have with the real keyboard is that the top row is a little too close for comfort sometimes but i can still get used to it

kev83202

Reaction score
I can tell you if I play with this phone anymore today my eyes are going to pop out of my head!

I can definatly say I'm getting the hang of the keyboard, just picked my storm back up for a min and damn that thing sucks now.

crownedzero

Reaction score
It isn't the best I've had; awkward but that could just be a matter of acclimation. On screen is =( oh well I'll go 4 stars =)

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been playing with it non stop and I actually really like the keyboard. The complaints about it being flat, the keys to close, or the top row being hard to get haven't really given me any issues. The only issue I kinda have with it is when you press a key it feels kinda odd. Like i'm not sure if I should press the top of a key, the center, or what. I think its just because the keys are kinda "soft". Either way I like it and the more I use it, the MORE I like it!

As for the onscreens, I can type with this onscreen KB so much better than my iPod Touch or Storm!

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Here is what I think about the physical keyboard:

For users moving from a phone like the LG Voyager or another phone with large buttons, especially those with independent buttons for symbols and numbers, they will not like the droid's keyboard, at least in the short run.

People with rather large fingers may also have a little trouble.

For my, I have skinny fingers so the keyboard works fine for me.

The rocker on the side is really nothing to argue about in my opinion. You hear some reviewers complain that it offsets the keyboard to the left, but for me it was barely noticable and I its easy to get use to with a little more hands-on time.

Overall I think the design of the keyboard makes it pretty good to use for writing a message to someone, but for navigation and about everything else you should totally stick to the touchscreen.

After all, that screen is responsive and huge.

IAmAPhoenix

Reaction score
The keyboard is fairly easy for me to use and I usually don't make too many typos. However, I really like the landscape touch keyboard because I can type faster with it and use the suggestions. I switch back and forth, so it all works for me. Using the other touch screen keyboard with one hand will take some getting used to. Been using flip phones for the past 6 years, so sending a text message definitely takes longer. I used to be a pro, lol. I'll get over it though because I love this phone.

thegleam

Reaction score
Like all three keyboards

I use all three. The only thing I have to get used to on the "real" keyboard is that the top row is narrow. Some of this is due to the cover I have on it. Wish there was just a fraction of a hair more space.