Droid vs Eris

drivinfocused

Reaction score
Im looking at getting one of these two, i don't like the feel or look of BBs so my only other two options really are these two, the moto droid and the htc eris, besides these the only other one i like is the lg choco touch......

of these two i am basically asking for your opinions on both. seems like more ppl like the moto droid and i am jsut wondering why? the full keyboard? size? power? and i am NOT going to hack this so if thats what you are going to say, please provide non hacking info or opinions....

thankx in advance,

drivinfocused

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
They technically have the same specs actually....go look at them on the Verizon website...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im digging the droid, but if the droid is too bulky for you, and you prefer the feel similar to the eris; the nexus on vzw may be for you. You will have to wait for it though.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Nono.

We are talking old school ARM CPU in the Eris vs. the much more efficient OMAP CPU in the Droid.

Differences are easily 40-50% faster for the Droid.

The Eris is a more complete phone experience, but the Droid hardware and performance is superior, and both can be customized so....

OP
drivinfocused

drivinfocused

Reaction score
what do you mean by a more complete phone experience? meaning the phone part of it is better? and does the Eris have all of the apps and everything that the Droid does? im wanting a good phone but 200 is a steep thing for me if it is just more of a game, and app thing. but i still need the gps, wifi 3G and what not......

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
No, meaning that the UI is more refined and complete with Sense.

Dibrom

Reaction score
I have both :icon_eek:

Right now the Eris doesn't have a GPS, but it will once the 2.1 update rolls around (probably March). The \advantage the Eris has over the Droid is it's lighter in weight and it has a trackball (versus the Droid's keyboard). Other then that it's no contest. The Eris has trouble getting signal (I'm in a valley) were the droid doesn't. The Eris has lots of lag. The Eris has good call quality, but the Droid is better. Can't say about the battery life as I've never compared them directly.

If the Eris didn't have sooo much lag it would be a viable option over the Droid but the lag really kills it. (And I don't mean application lag or web surfing lag, I mean lag even making calls)

CBLJazz

Reaction score
1/2 the price for 1/2 the phone.
don't look at just the specs. go to the store and you will see.

1. screen- the screen on the droid is like a computer screen shrunken down
2. speed/ UI- no one that has android below 2 is happy, the GPS & nav, when it works, is awesome- the interface on the droid is more computer- like and zippy
3. keyboard- even if you don't use it you have the option

if money isn't a factor get the droid.
it you need to save shillings but get a great os- get the eris.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nono.

We are talking old school ARM CPU in the Eris vs. the much more efficient OMAP CPU in the Droid.

Differences are easily 40-50% faster for the Droid.

The Eris is a more complete phone experience, but the Droid hardware and performance is superior, and both can be customized so....

Definitely a big difference in the CPUs. The Droid has superior hardware compared to the Eris. Considering how fast a phone can become outdated these days, I wouldn't think twice about getting the Droid over the Eris.

OP
drivinfocused

drivinfocused

Reaction score
so it sounds like i should just go with the Moto droid......... i was looking at them again today (while browsing the other phones, and accessories) and for some reason the Eris looks better to me, but i need durability and hte Moto Droid just seems like its a tougher phone.....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
so it sounds like i should just go with the Moto droid......... i was looking at them again today (while browsing the other phones, and accessories) and for some reason the Eris looks better to me, but i need durability and hte Moto Droid just seems like its a tougher phone.....

If you like the look and you want similar capabilities (minus the keyboard) check out the nexus.

OP
drivinfocused

drivinfocused

Reaction score
im jsut looking for a tough phone i work in a restaurant and am a landscaper.. i know cases help but ive seen tough phones destroyed........ but i still want one that WILL WORK..... i have had 4 dares, 3 Casio Boulders, multiple other phones, and most of them are because the phone itself is bad.....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
we the droid id built Droid tough.