Now that you have the Moto Droid, Your opinion on the Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by bamfsig45, Nov 6, 2009.

1. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Everyone has seen the reviews on the Keyboard all over the net, but I really like to form my own opinion on things. So what is yours?
  2. Over50Droid

Over50Droid New Member

Gets better with use

I was able to play with the Droid yesterday before the release and decided I did not like the keyboard enough to switch from my Storm2. I then decided that there will never be a perfect phone so I compromised on the keyboard and got the Droid. I surprised with the keyboard as it is a lot easier to use today than yesterday.

I'm glad I changed.
  3. techguru

techguru Member

It is fine. Not quite as nice as my Touch Pro, but good tactile feedback and the keys aren't too small, at least for my fingers/thumbs.

Alan
  4. DroidChopper1

DroidChopper1 New Member

Is there anyway to slow down the touchscreen keyboard? Seems awfully sensitive and it's hard to text on it.

Thanks!
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I say the keyboard isn't TOO bad, but the top row is alittle too close to the screen, if given alittle more room up top, i'd give it a better rating, right now i'm giving it a 6/10
  6. jakedeg

jakedeg New Member

I was worried about the keyboard after reading all major reviews, but I got my Droid this morning and the keyboard is a lot better than I was expecting. I am coming from a Touch pro on VZW, and I would say that the SLIGHTLY shallower keys are more than made up for by the way more logical layout of the keys. I can't tell you how many times I pressed Up Arrow on my TouchPro when I wanted to type M. I can definitely be happy with the Droid keyboard.
  7. kaorte

kaorte New Member

I come from a phone with a flat keypad so its not that difficult to use.

I will have to get used to it, but its like that with any new phone or keyboard.
  8. texasPI

texasPI New Member

Wont get mine till tomorrow but I played with one at VZW today its not as bad as I feared. I dislike the D pad more than anything.
  9. robin

robin New Member

I have no issues with it.

It helps that I'm a "blank slate" coming from a dumbphone, plus I'm a female with small to average sized hands.

I'd read all the b'ing and moaning about the keyboard on hofo and was pleasantly surprised once I got my hands on it. I have trouble with the portrait on-screen keyboard, but do very very well with the physical keyboard.
  10. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

its a little..well..down and to the left. my left thumb is getting sleepy. i like it though!
  11. jay80z

jay80z New Member

The keyboard is great for me. In fact I used it to post this reply.

This phone kicks major ass.
  12. garrett

garrett Active Member Theme Developer Developer

i don't have one yet but a friend that works with me brought his over today and i got a chance to play with it a good bit and had no issues with the keyboard what so ever... i do wished they had made the D pad smaller though.
  13. Zippster

Zippster Member

Its ok, not nearly as bad as originally described IMO, myself though, I find the onscreen fitting my needs perfectly to this point. ( couple hours of owning )
  14. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Definitely not as bad as was reviewed. I like the landscape virtual keyboard the best and it is WAY better than my Storms, but the physical keyboard is decent as well. I'll be speeding along it in no time.
  15. stiggy

stiggy New Member

Coming from a vx6800 (htc titan) the keyboard is something I will get used to quickly. The droids keys a flatter and a hair smaller. But I can type quicker than I can with the on screen key board. I may never get used to that one.
  16. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Ok I like the keyboard ok, it serves its purpose. But I think I prefer the on screen key board better. I have never used an on screen keyboard so I have nothing to compare it to. I need to use the physical one more so I can get used to it. But I'm coming from a blackberry so its hard to change from that keyboard.
  17. kev83202

kev83202 New Member

I'm kinda going the other way, I thought it was pretty good when I got it this morning but it's slowly getting worse for me. The problem is with the d-pad and and the chin both on the right hand side making it way off center. I they would have just got the keyboard in them middle of the phone I think it would be great.

I don't mind the on screen keyboard and I think that is what I will end up using most of the time, I still think it's nice to have the slide out for some things though.

I can still type faster on my storm1, but I had it for a year so we'll see. Overall though the phone is awsome and i'll take a little slower typing for all the other benifits.
  18. SteveF

SteveF Guest

The top row is definitely an issue, and it would be nice if the the keyboard wasnt flat, but it is usable......
  19. Spanky

Spanky New Member

I'm getting used to it faster than I got used to the Storm's keyboard.

Already love this phone..........
  20. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I've had the phone for an hour and have to say that I REALLY like the keyboard lol

It's really not a big deal as far as usability for me. Ofcourse it's not a BB keyboard but it doesn't matter to me. It's a Droid and it's it's own unique piece of hardware.

This phone is fantastic so far. I need some more time to explore it but so far EVERYTHING has been seamless. From emails to the camera to the keyboard. I'm VERY pleased...