Note 5 - Pocketable?

dgoakill

Reaction score
I currently have a Galaxy S4. I think it's kind of big, always did, even when I bought it. I carry my phone in my pocket and have had issues with the S4 either falling out of some shorts or just uncomfortable to have in the front pocket. It seems all the new phones are now bigger than the S4, so that's something I'm just going to have to get over.

That said, there isn't too much difference between the S6 and the Note 5. I really like the stylus from what I've seen of it so far. Not sure it's worth the hassle of a bigger phone.........so just curious if anyone has real world experience keeping the note 5 in their pocket during the day. In jeans, shorts, dress pants, etc.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If the s4 isn't pocketable for you, the Note definitely won't be. I went from the s4 to the Note 4 & didn't have much trouble, personally, but I never thought the s4 was "too" big.

In some of my jeans, the Note stuck out a bit of the pocket. I carry my phone in a front pocket. I've also had issues where I have to adjust the phone in the pocket when sitting.

Slacks, I had no trouble with. Carried it all day at work regularly.

I've since switched to the Nexus 6P, which is a bit taller than the Note.

Again, its all about preference, but I think you're gonna have a lot more issue with a note device than the s4 if you're already having some issues with the s4.

Just my opinion though. I love the larger screens & am happy to make little tradeoffs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Head over to your local phone store and see which phone you're most comfortable with...

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I can tell you the Note 5 fits better in my pocket than the Nexus 6 did. However, the corner closest to the edge of the pocket does stick out a bit. As @Jonny Kansas said, if you think the S4 is too big, I would stay clear of the Note 5, which is a shame because it is an amazing phone. It has never fallen out of any pockets I had it in, if that helps.

If you can however think you will get used to the bigger size, I say go for it. I ended up keeping the Note 5 over the new Nexus 6P, I think (personally) it is a better over all phone. Really impressed with what Samsung has done with their phones lately. The S-Pen scroll capture is an awesome little feature that I use way more than I thought I would.

Holyeffenwow

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
I went from an s4 in a life proof case to a note 5(with the s view case) and have no problems carrying the phone in my front pocket. Some of my shorts have shallower pockets and the top of the phone does stick out a little but I haven't had it fall out yet

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I went from an s4 to the Note 5 and couldn't be happier. However, if you feel the s4 isn't pocketable, then as @Jonny Kansas said, the Note 5 isn't going to be pocketable for you at all.

In some of my jeans I noticed the Note 5 corner tends to stick out a bit, but due to the slimness of the device it doesn't feel as bulky in my pocket as the s4 did. Height has proved to be a bit of an issue when trying to take out the phone while I'm sitting down as I always have it in my front right pocket, but it's not too much trouble. Taking it out of my pocket in a car seat is a bit more cumbersome is what I've noticed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I went from an s4 to the Note 5 and couldn't be happier. However, if you feel the s4 isn't pocketable, then as @Jonny Kansas said, the Note 5 isn't going to be pocketable for you at all.

In some of my jeans I noticed the Note 5 corner tends to stick out a bit, but due to the slimness of the device it doesn't feel as bulky in my pocket as the s4 did. Height has proved to be a bit of an issue when trying to take out the phone while I'm sitting down as I always have it in my front right pocket, but it's not too much trouble. Taking it out of my pocket in a car seat is a bit more cumbersome is what I've noticed.
Amen to the height. My 6P is taller than the Note 4 but quite a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
dgoakill

dgoakill

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I should correct myself, the S4 is pocketable, but I never forget it's there. And as mentioned, it can be a pain to access when sitting. Good to hear people pocket carry the 5 in their front pocket. My thought was the s6 is big, but the 5 isn't much bigger. I guess I'll try asking at the Verizon store to try them both on. And see which feels better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm sure you one of the reps there would have a Note 5 to help out with that. I don't know if PA has Best Buy chain there, but you could try there for the Samsung experience kiosks.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll put the pocketable to the test tomorrow. I know I put my nexus 5 on top of my note 5 and my how close it size wise.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk