Not getting email notifications

drpepper4me

Reaction score
I have two gmail accounts. One is work (my main account), the other is personal.

For work, when I go to Settings, I have Email Notifications turned on, and the ringtone is silent. I get a lot of work emails and I don't want the phone beeping all day. Vibrate is off.

For personal, I go to Settings, and I have Email Notifications turned on, and a real ringtone is selected. Vibrate is turned on.

When I get emails to my personal account, I don't always get notified. They show in the notification area in the home screen, but it doesn't always beep or vibrate. This just started happening today. Up until now it was working fine. I haven't installed any new programs in the last week. I've turned the phone off, pulled the battery, etc.. and still no luck. What am I missing? :mad:

I had 4 personal emails this morning and didn't get notified about any of them. After reading them all, I got another email, and it did beep for that one. Weird.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're using the stock gmail app, not the stock pop/imap app or k9? If so there is a bug about this on google code:

Issue 4190 - android - Gmail Notifications Bug? - Project Hosting on Google Code

The upshot is that there is an app in the market, "Gmail Notifier", that works around the bug and doesn't even need to run in the background. Apparently you can have it set up differently for each account.

Another solution would be to use k9 to grab gmail instead of the stock gmail app. You'd have to login to gmail.com and turn on your imap settings for your accounts.

Take a moment to go to the link above and "star" the issue to vote on it.

Forgot to mention, when using Gmail Notifier, you might want to keep the default gmail app's notifications on too. I think that works best.

OP
D

drpepper4me

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I "starred" it and asked a couple friends who have Droids to do the same. I'm downloading gmail notifier from the market now. :icon_ banana:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope you sort your Gmail issue out. I had seen a fix about notifications before, that said to turn the sync function off...and then turn it back on. But I'm not really sure if that would help your problem though...

jawa6969

Reaction score
Similar issue, I guess. I press the Gmail icon and it opens with no messages. I go online on my laptop and there are messages there. I open it back up on the phone and press menu and refresh and the emails come in. I have changed no settings related to Gmail. It was working before and notifying me. Is this related to the Gmail bug you are talking about?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Similar issue, I guess. I press the Gmail icon and it opens with no messages. I go online on my laptop and there are messages there. I open it back up on the phone and press menu and refresh and the emails come in. I have changed no settings related to Gmail. It was working before and notifying me. Is this related to the Gmail bug you are talking about?

I have never not received a gmail from my gmail account. I'm really mystified by the people who have this issue. It's a google phone, there shouldn't be any issue with this.

I would go back over the settings on line with the help provided in Gmail to make sure your settings are properly configured.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
For some reason Im not getting email notifications from new posts here. I didnt change anything, just stopped getting them..

jawa6969

Reaction score

I have never not received a gmail from my gmail account. I'm really mystified by the people who have this issue. It's a google phone, there shouldn't be any issue with this.

I would go back over the settings on line with the help provided in Gmail to make sure your settings are properly configured.

It has happened for a few days now. I am with you. At the very least, since this is a google phone, the Gmail should work flawlessly and without having to DL apps for notifications. Again, when I bought this phone (few weeks ago), the gmail seemed to work really well. Maybe I changed something somewhere else. I do know that I have been going into my running services and stopping Google Talk as I don't use it. I powered off the phone and turned it back on so the service will run again. I will leave that be and see if that has anything to do with with. As far as Gmail settings, I went in and changed some sync settings for the labels to sync all. Maybe that will help too. I did that at your suggestion to check the settings. Before that, I swear, I did not touch one Gmail setting prior to the notifications stopping. Also, I'm not sure if its a notification issue for myself more then the gmail app seems to not be checking for new email. Thanks for the suggestions.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are at least 3 issues here:

1) mail arrived but no notifications. Use gmail notifier from the market. Turn on notifications in it and gmail.

2) gmail app reports sync/connection error. Delete gmail storage cache in phone settings > manage apps > menu > filter all > gmail storage. That clears the problem but it'll come back. I have had luck setting gmail app settings > labels > inbox > sync all AND not using wifi. Not sure if either or both are necessary but has bee good for weeks since I made the change.

3) no sync error but no mail arrives unless manually synced. There are a million causes. Make sure sync is on for your account. Don't use a task killer. Message in outbox stuck and needs deleting. Toggle sync on and off. Reboot. Any of these might fix it. Search google for droid gmail manual refresh sync to get tons of ideas. In the end you might want to set up k9 to grab your gmail.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some reason Im not getting email notifications from new posts here. I didnt change anything, just stopped getting them..

Interesting. If you're set to get notification for every thread you post in then you should still be getting them. Have you tried contacting an admin about this?