so frustrated with this phone

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Tmurrray315, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Tmurrray315

Tmurrray315 New Member

I had the droid for about a week and i have a couple of problems with it. One is the email and the notifications i have my yahoo account set up on my phone but it doesn't really notify me when new emails come in. When i go on to my email i see like 20 new ones but i nvr got notified. When i shut my phone off and turn it back on all my emails and everything pops up and then it randomly stops working. Is it a problem with all the phones? Is it a defect? Another problem i have is the backlight on the four keys randomly turn on and off is that nornal? These are a couple of issues im having with this i. Don't know whether i should return it for a new one im not sure if it is a derect phone
  2. CongoJack90

CongoJack90 New Member

The stock email app doesn't have push email notifications. But the K-9 email app that you can get from the market does. And as for the backlight on the keys that's a bug that hopefully will be addresses in the next OTA update.
  3. Tmurrray315

Tmurrray315 New Member

Oh ok so im a really neewbie at this but what do u mean push email? And do u think my phone has a problem? Should i return it?
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

5. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

Yahoo does not work well with android because it is imap configuration instead of pop. The best option is forwarding your yahoo mail to your gmail account, then it pushes instantly. Push means it will show up on your phone. The 4 keys at the bottom turn off randomly if you have automatic brightness enabled on your display. If your fingers cover certain light sensors or the light in the room changes, they turn off or on. Pretty sure it's not a bug. Your phone is working how it's supposed to.
  6. Tmurrray315

Tmurrray315 New Member

oh ok thanks for the info so all phones have have the same problem with yahoo email
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

It's not just yahoo mail.. As someone stated give K9 a try or forward your yahoo to gmail then use the gmail app.
  8. Tmurrray315

Tmurrray315 New Member

ok how would you set it up to gmail? and i just want to know if my phone is defective
  9. Blayzejlm

Blayzejlm New Member

I have the same exact problem with yahoo so I went and got K9, but the samething happens with that. I have to shut the phone off and then back on to get a notification for my email. It's really frustrating. I don't need to get me emails pushed to me but I just want it to work like it's supposed to.
  10. Tmurrray315

Tmurrray315 New Member

ya thats my problem is it a defect? or all phones are like this i dont know if i should return it
  11. LtKen

LtKen New Member

It seems from my experience and the experience of those on this forum, that the Android OS really only cooperates well with GMail. I know it sucks, but has anyone considered migrating to GMail completely?

Or setting up a dummy GMail account to forward your other addresses to?

I know it's been said before, but it seems like the only decent option. I dont have any of these personal experiences, I have 4 GMail accounts myself, and my 3 non-GMail accounts all forward to GMail.
  12. hookbill

If you forward your mail to the gmail account it will work. I think the problem is people trying to set it up as a PoP account instead of imap.

The email problem is not insurmountable, I highly doubt it's the phone.
  13. Happystranger

Happystranger New Member

The only way Yahoo mail will work on your Droid is if you have their premium service which you must pay for. I was having that same probem when I first got my Droid until I contacted both Verizon and Motorola. Supposedly you will be able to sync your regular Yahoo mail account to your Droid with the release of the 2.1 update, but who know when that will be.
  14. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 New Member

This is almost true. However, there is a workaround that I did for my fiance's droid. If you change your location to Yahoo! Asia, then you can set up your mail as POP, then forward it to gmail as usual. It's weird I know, but it worked. She has had no issues with her mail either.
  15. hookbill

16. Tmurrray315

Tmurrray315 New Member

i did that and it works but it doesnt notify me of when i get new emails how do you set up your yahoo account on your gmail account
  17. Lars

Lars New Member

I'm not familiar with Yahoo, but check the settings when you are logged into your email from a computer. There should be an option to forward all messages to another email address. Set this up so that the messages are forwarded to your Gmail account, and you will now have access to all your Yahoo emails from either account.

For example, my primary email address is with my cable provider(Comcast), and although it did work with the email app on the phone, I preferred the options provided by Gmail. Even though people are emailing me @ comcast, I am receiving them on my Gmail account.
  18. dmo580

dmo580 New Member

I think you're looking for IMAP IDLE support which Android e-mail app lacks? The Gmail app uses IMAP IDLE properly so Gmail gets push support. You can try K9 mail which has IMAP IDLE built in.
  19. jmasterman

jmasterman New Member

POP Mail K9 or Default intermitent and stinks...

I'm at a complete loss. I'm on my second Motorola DRIOD in a week and I have the exact same problem. My wife has the same phone with the same POP provider without the problem...
    Only difference I have two email accounts through the provider, she has one.
    The problem - I can't reliably get my email. It would show up after initial setup/configuration using either built in client or K9. But then simply stops getting new mail or gets 1 out of 30-50 messages. I leave the mail on the server so if I pull it down to my laptop's Outlook client it does not remove it. If I go to Outlook I always have new mail that will not ever show up on my driod. Sometimes I get a "DROID" notification, email icon in the top part of the window, I select the window drop down, go to my email and there is no message to be found.
    Any thoughts Ideas? I've spent about 10 hours on this so far and feel the phone is a piece of crap for mail but everything else is good. Before I return this phone permanently I thought I'd try one more time and see if anyone has any thoughts? My pop server is through pop.Reflexion.net
  20. Mojo

Mojo New Member