Non-Android Computer Help Needed!!!!!!!

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I searched the web with no answers so I figured I would come to the community that has served me well in the past. The old company I worked for sold me my old computer. It was setup to run on a "typical" work environment. Now that I have it home I am trying to get it connected to the internet with no avail. I have a Motorola SB5120 Modem from Comcast as well as a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router. No matter what I try I cannot get it to connect. I installed the drivers to the modem no problem but can't get the router to install. Plus I can't get any internet if I remove the router and go straight through the modem. Please help, I really need my internet back.

Thanks in advance.

blinden

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel2 XL
you are probably setup either on a domain from the office or just have static IP settings on the computer. You did fail to mention what version of windows you are running, but go to the control panel and set the IP settings to DHCP (automatic) and under "System" in control panel, you are goign to want to go to computer name and make sure you aren't joined to any domains.

These are very generic instructions, supply the windows versino you are working with and I'll be able to give you click by click instructions.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are hardwiring to the modem, you definitely have an ip issue. Remember to power cycle modem every time you connect a new device to it.

-Droid Does

OP
keithsmith22

keithsmith22

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention what I am on. It is XP Pro SP3.

blinden

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel2 XL
Sorry I forgot to mention what I am on. It is XP Pro SP3.

Start with this just to make sure the computer wasn't setup on a static IP address previously:

Start>control panel>network connections (or Networking & Internet connections, then 'network connections)

At this point, it would be helpful if you relayed what objects you have here, probably wireless and "Local area connection"

Right click on local area connection and click "properties"

On the list that reads "this connection uses the following" find TCP/ip internet protocol and highlight it and click properties button below.

it should be selected to obtain both IP and DNS informatoin automatically, you should not have numbers set here.

Also, go to start>control panel>system (or performance & maintenance then 'system') and open the "Computer name" tab and make sure it's not a member of any domains.