Little Help Please From Computer Gurus

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone reading/helping with this!

I just had a Docsis 3.0 cable modem / 50 Mbps connection installed. My desktop computer (Win 7 64bit, 4 Gigs Ram, 1.75 T total HDD, all the latest 64 bit drivers, etc) hardwired to the modem, will only average 30 Mbps download (Road Runners closest speed test sites). The last RR Tech hooked his laptop to my modem and got 50 on the same test site.

Of course, that was the extent of his ability to help... Not hating or anything, TWC SignatureHome customer support has been great.

I downloaded the latest 64 bit NIC (intel) driver, flashed my BIOS w/ latest and greatest, rebooted modem and computer and have tried different browsers (IE 32 & 64 as well as Chrome) to no avail. I'm on the verge of reformatting, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I just had a Docsis 3.0 cable modem / 50 Mbps connection installed. My desktop computer (Win 7 64bit, 4 Gigs Ram, 1.75 T total HDD, all the latest 64 bit drivers, etc) hardwired to the modem, will only average 30 Mbps download (Road Runners closest speed test sites). The last RR Tech hooked his laptop to my modem and got 50 on the same test site.

Of course, that was the extent of his ability to help... Not hating or anything, TWC SignatureHome customer support has been great.

I downloaded the latest 64 bit NIC (intel) driver, flashed my BIOS w/ latest and greatest, rebooted modem and computer and have tried different browsers (IE 32 & 64 as well as Chrome) to no avail. I'm on the verge of reformatting, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

Have you ever been able to get past 30Mbps? Also do you only have the one computer?

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score

Have you ever been able to get past 30Mbps? Also do you only have the one computer?

It starts off downloading around 47 - 48 or so but after a few seconds starts to decline until the test completes at which time it's around 28 - 32.

There is one wireless laptop, but I make sure it's idle (off or standby) when I'm testing. No other wireless devices are on/sucking bandwidth.

Thanks!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you haven't already you could try seeing what the laptop will get in the same situation if at all possible. That way you would have 2 pc's testing, that why you might be able to pinpoint if it's A) the computer itself, or B) that it might actually be something with the line. Also have you tried other speed test sites other then RR?

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'll give it a try w/ my wife's laptop, but preferrably with my daughter's this weekend when she's home from college. Her's is more in line with my desktop (actually it's faster and nicer). The line has been checked ten ways from sunday by several RR techs. Our hub was just upgraded and now my modem's getting 3 bonded downstream channels versus 2 that it was getting when it was first installed. (Like I really know what that means!) The last RR tech used his Laptop with my modem and got 50. I was watching as he did.

THANKS AGAIN

stanrc

Reaction score
He got a continuous 50? A lot of ISP offer high speeds, but it is just burst speed. So a download will start fast and then slow down to a different speed after a certain amount of time/data.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
He got a continuous 50? A lot of ISP offer high speeds, but it is just burst speed. So a download will start fast and then slow down to a different speed after a certain amount of time/data.

Yeah he ran the test several times on his laptop and a couple finished up over 50 (51 and 52). Of course a couple finished up just under 50.