No 4G?

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
My son just switched over to a new-to-him Droid Maxx yesterday. He went to our local Verizon store and got a SIM card and activated the phone. It works great with the exception of no 4G (we're in an area with strong signal). He called Verizon's tech support yesterday and was told they gave him the wrong SIM card and to go back and switch it out. He did. Nothing changed. He still has no 4G signal. I have the identical phone and a strong 4G signal under the same roof. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He's currently at work, so any action on his part will not be possible until this evening, but I would certainly love to have some ideas or answers for him when he gets home.

Thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Try checking the mobile data settings. Go into the phone's settings menu then to mobile networks (or whatever it might be called on the Maxx). Look for network mode and make sure it is set to LTE/CDMA. Hopefully that will work.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I just sent him a screen shot of your comment (ain't technology grand?). His was set to global, changed it, but no help. Thanks, though. I thought that would be the solution...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Once he sets it to LTE/CDMA, he may need to shut down his phone, then power it back on again.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If that doesn't work, then have him try to turn off the phone, take out the sim card, power it back on again. Wait a minute then turn it off again, put in sim card and power back on.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would also try an old but tried and true method of troubleshooting. Take the known good phone (yours), and plug his SIM card into it. If your phone gives you 4G on his phone number then you know the SIM is correct. Then do the opposite by putting your known good SIM card into his phone and see if he gets 4G. This should isolate the failed component whether it's his SIM or his phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Remove the sim card with the phone on..then power the phone off and reinsert the sim card..power on..still no 4g..you have a bad radio if you've followed the steps above...

Your one last step is to do a fdr to make sure its not a software setting...then if still no 4g..send it back..imho.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Before doing the FDR, I would not the offending phone into safe mode and try that as well. If it's a software issue safe mode will isolate it.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
He just got home from work. He rebooted the phone after switching from Global to CDMA (or whatever it is) and that didn't work. We just traded SIM cards and I had 4G with his and he was still sittin' at 3G. Since he just got the phone yesterday and hasn't really moved into it yet, I told him to do a FDR. I'll let you know what the outcome is. Thank you ALL so much for your help!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There are those who think I'm fast to jumo on a factory data reset..but in a situation like this..just got a second hand phone..I would want to rule out software and get my replacement on the way...that's just me I guess..I don't have a ton of time to troubleshoot..

Booting into safe mode does somewhat simulate that ...

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
There are those who think I'm fast to jumo on a factory data reset..but in a situation like this..just got a second hand phone..I would want to rule out software and get my replacement on the way...that's just me I guess..I don't have a ton of time to troubleshoot..

Booting into safe mode does somewhat simulate that ...

I agree completely. He's exhausted and off to bed. No work tomorrow, so he'll have some time to reset it and see what happens. I really appreciate your help, along with everyone else. It's frustrating.... I feel bad for the kid. He saw mine and got phone envy and ordered his own. Now this...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have you tried safe mode yet? If it's a software issue, that will confirm it.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Have you tried safe mode yet? If it's a software issue, that will confirm it.

No... He walked in the door from work, we traded SIM cards and saw that it wasn't the card. He's frustrated and exhausted and went to bed LOL! I'll make sure he tries that first thing in the morning. He's off tomorrow, so aside from mowing some lawns, he should have time to fiddle around with it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If he's working hard and really beat..he could be mentally fatigued. I'd wait until he's rested then check the settings again..try safe mode...then proceed from there...Good luck.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Safe mode didn't help... Looks like he's got a defective phone. He's got a "swap request" submitted. Thanks so much for all of your help.