Nexus 6P Bug Is Causing Devices To Shutdown Before The Battery Expires.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, I waited a month or so I think.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, it's unfortunate, if this replacement stays as it has been I'll be happy.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I have that same problem of early shutdowns at around 15% on my LG V10. People in other forums tell me my battery is going bad. I have 2 different batteries manufactured at 2 different times going bad the same way at the exact same time? I just don't buy that. Most of the time it gives me the 15% low battery warning and shuts itself down around 5-10 seconds later. Rarely it will drain down to 5% before shutting down but not very often. I have no idea why it does this and can find no setting to account for it. Battery saver is off in the settings. I thought maybe it was a safety feature built in to conserve the battery life but don't see a lot of other reports mentioning this behavior/feature. Just seems to be a weird quirk.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't really dug into this issue, since I haven't experienced it first-hand.

Do the devices come back on as soon as you plug them in, or does it take a while before they'll boot up? Not that that helps if you're nowhere near a power source when it dies, but it's such an odd situation...

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, AccuBattery showed my battery health under 60% and it was dying. My replacement shows above 90% and hasn't died prematurely yet. I don't think it's strictly a battery issue, or software issue, but probably a combination of both.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looks like this is likely software given the pixel may be experiencing this issue as well.

https://goo.gl/rvZUQ8

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This will be my luck. I just made a deal on Swappa yesterday for a barely used Pixel XL, case, and Daydream headset. Knowing my luck, I've had no issues with my 6P shutting down, but I'll experience all of the Pixel problems that some folks are having...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This will be my luck. I just made a deal on Swappa yesterday for a barely used Pixel XL, case, and Daydream headset. Knowing my luck, I've had no issues with my 6P shutting down, but I'll experience all of the Pixel problems that some folks are having...
Funny thing is I was going to sell my Nexus 6p and pick up a pixel XL because of my concerns about this bug. But I may just hold on to my 6P.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Funny thing is I was going to sell my Nexus 6p and pick up a pixel XL because of my concerns about this bug. But I may just hold on to my 6P.

If I wasn't having call quality issues on my 6P long before Nougat, I probably would've done the same. Given that the shutdown bug is affecting more than one device, I'm hopeful that it really is a software issue and will be fixed with an update.

As for the sound bug that some Pixels are having, I don't really use my phone speakers at high volume very often. BT headphones and in my truck.

That said, I did pay an extra $70 for a year of insurance offered by Swappa through a third-party with a $50 deductible, so you can be sure I'll make a claim if any of these issues pop up and I'll be checking them all out before marking the sale complete. Not that I'd REALLY blame the seller if these known bugs were affecting this device, but they made no mention of any issues with the phone in the listing, so I'm expecting one that's not having the problems that some devices are having.

My brother-in-law also has the XL and his wife got the regular Pixel. I was just talking to him over Christmas and he's had no issues with either phone, whatsoever. He even brought the Daydream headset for us to try out.

I didn't get a KILLER deal on the phone, but I paid less for it with the headset and case than they want for a brand new one and it's claimed to be in (near) mint condition ( he listed it as Good on Swappa, but stated in the description that it's really mint).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's not like I made a deal on an iPhone.

I toyed with the idea of getting a 6+ for a minute, but decided if I'm going to mess with iOS, it's gonna be on a tablet, not on a phone that I rely on all day, every day. If nothing else, so I don't have to rebuy apps/games that I use regularly.

Reactions: cr6