Now Pixels Are Experiencing The Battery Bug!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
front-pixel.jpg

Last week we started hearing reports of Nexus 6P users who were running Android Nougat complaining of their devices shutting down early at 25-35% battery. There has been no explanation and no fix from Google so far on this, although they have acknowledged this as a real issue and are currently searching along with Huawei for a fix. Now we are hearing reports from Pixel owners who are experiencing the same thing. One reddit user has provided his own explanation for what may be happening.

Bal00 explains:

If you’ve got a battery with a high internal resistance and a power-hungry load like the camera demanding a lot of current, other devices like the processor will see their supply voltage drop, and if it drops low enough, the phone will shut off. That’s what’s going on when a phone turns off with 40% battery left. There’s plenty of water in the tank, but all the build-up inside the valve restricts the flow so much that the pressure takes a nosedive.

Others had offered the explanation that the issue was due to the aging batteries in the Nexus 6P devices, but that no longer holds up if the same thing is happening to the much newer Pixel devices. This should be fixable through an update. Hopefully Google can nail down this bug quickly and get this fixed.

via Reddit

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No issues with my Pixel. I had it around 30% last night before charging up, but wasn't using any intensive apps either. I'll try to see tonight if I can get it low enough by day's end. Today is definitely a light use day

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried with my 6P last night with no negative result. Although, I did have some crazy battery drain while at work today, the phone went down to 20% or so without dying. I did play some games & such at the end before plugging in to charge for the night.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I've been getting mine down to around 5% the last few weeks and no issues.

Pixel XL.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Google’s Pixel copied more than just the iPhone’s design

Hmmm.

That popped up on my Google now articles and I started to dismiss it when I saw "copied iPhone", but I will say I was not aware of any complaints about the 6/6s battery.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Same here. I almost dismissed it from my GN feed, but figured I'd see what they were claiming Google copied now. I wasn't aware of any such issues with the iPhone either.

According to tracking info, my Pixel XL is close enough that it could be here tomorrow, even though USPS is still saying expected delivery will be Tuesday (dang holidays, messing up delivery times). I'm hoping it comes tomorrow so I have a chance to play with it, set it up, and test this bug and others out on my day off.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ran my Pixel down to 23% today and it didn't restart. Had loaded up Pokemon Go, Youtube, Play Music, and browser and nothing. It got a little warm, but didn't shut off.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ran my Pixel down to 23% today and it didn't restart. Had loaded up Pokemon Go, Youtube, Play Music, and browser and nothing. It got a little warm, but didn't shut off.
I'm thinking with many devices the issue is large enough to warrant an investigation to fix but small enough where it almost feels isolated. I have been running my Nexus 6p to around 25-30 percent with no issues the past few days. Even went as far as dropping to 17 last night before putting it on the charger for the night.

I'm sure you guys will be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
This happens to my S5 batteries as of late. Im sure it's just my aging batteries, but they all started to shut down when im at 15% and open an app like Snapchat. Goes on a loop of rebooting. It actually keeps on going until it runs out of juice. Mine is probably isolated case, but it does happen to all 4 batteries of mine.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ran my new Pixel XL down to 10% with no shutdown tonight. Was playing a game & then downloaded the extra content for a larger game (almost 2GB...).

Hoping this trend continues moving forward.

Sent from my Pixel XL