New to Droid - removing apps question

jdinero122

Reaction score
All,

I am not very tech savvy and i just liked the droid pro for the keyboard and it was time for an upgrade. i like the calendar/email/facebook/texting stuff. That is about all i use it for.

My question is this....i downloaded the task killer, etc at Verizon's recommendation and my battery life is so-so. i use the task killer regularly, but like people have said, as soon as you run it and go back, there are plenty of apps running still that i have never used. For example, SKYPE. I went to the Application manager to delete this, but it is still listed there. Music, Amazon MP3, Maps, etc all dsay they are running. Some of these , like SKYPE i will never use.

Can someone tell me a simple way to remove te preinstalled stuff I don't want? Remmeber, I use this for a phone so all the talk of root and clearing cache, etc. goes over my hard.

Any help is great.

Jennifer

OP
J

jdinero122

Reaction score
thanks, but what is rooting?

can you explain what 'rooting' is?

louy99

Reaction score
There is a bunch of threads here about rooting and what it is...check it out and you need to get rid of that task killer...its worse for your phone.

Sent from my DROID2

kjjb0204

Reaction score
If you root, I would recommend using Titanium Backup Pro to simply "freeze" the unwanted apps. They will never run, but will still be on there in case another software upgrade comes out. If you remove stock apps, you will almost definitely not be able to just upgrade normally.