Uninstall factory apps issue

vh5150

Reaction score
I would like to remove Amazon mp3 and Skype mobile apps because they seem to always be running and I will likely never use these apps. From settings/manage applications, it will not let me uninstall. The button is grayed out...anyone have any ideas as to how to get rid of these apps? Much appreciated.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
vh5150

vh5150

Reaction score
I have an app I bought called root explorer. Can I use that? If so, how without affecting upgrades in the future? Thanks guys, appreciated.

decapitor

Reaction score
You need to research whether or not you want to root your phone. If you decide to root your phone after researching, my advice is to buy titanium backup pro and to "freeze" any apps you don't want instead of uninstalling them. This "freezing" process locks the programs so that they cannot run, but if there is a new system update from Verizon, all you have to do is temporarily unfreeze the app and you will be able to receive the update and refreeze them. There is a high likelihood that you would not be able to get over-the-air updates if you just remove unwanted apps.

OP
vh5150

vh5150

Reaction score
Very good advice decap. What are your personal thoughts regarding root? Should I? I'll take your word for it. Thanks again.

decapitor

Reaction score
Very good advice decap. What are your personal thoughts regarding root? Should I? I'll take your word for it. Thanks again.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to, but only if you know that you are happy with the phone and are willing to risk potentially voiding the warranty. Now that the Droid Pro oem rom is floating around there are ways to return your phone to its factory settings later if need be. If you do want to root, you have to go here:

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

and download the z4root .apk that is attached to the first post. Connect your phone via USB to your computer and transfer the .apk to your phone's SD card. Then, on your phone, use the "Files" app to navigate to the location of the z4root.apk file and execute it. Should be straight forward from there. There are horror stories out there about phones being bricked from rooting attempts so I can't take any responsibility for your phone, but z4root really makes things super simple and I haven't heard about it bricking any phones.