New OTA Update Downloading......

ddfuji

Reaction score
I haven't personally tried. I got it for this next OTA. It's simple to use. And I know lots of other people are using it. It worked with last OTA according to many. Its worth trying. And its free.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jedi

Reaction score
I'm a little bit surprised that they send a soak test to a random sample that did not explicitly express interest in doing testing for them. I have zero interest in a non tested OTA, but I did receive it. In my opinion, this should absolutely ONLY be an opt in program. Some of us choose not to be guinee pigs.

Obviously, based on many remarks on this forum, I would guess I am the minority. Although it does surprise me so many want 'stuff' before it's been thoroughly vetted. Who has the time or patience for that? not me I guess...

carry on.

rn701

Reaction score
Is the wifi hotspot problem really fixed?

I got a Razr to replace my X but had to return it. I was going to go get a MAXX today (glad I waited) and try it again on news of this update starting to roll out, but all local Verizon stores and Cellular Sales stores are out of stock. Nearest one is about 50 miles away. Verizon online is out of stock, too, says they will ship 2/9.

donnie5336

Reaction score
I'm a little bit surprised that they send a soak test to a random sample that did not explicitly express interest in doing testing for them. I have zero interest in a non tested OTA, but I did receive it. In my opinion, this should absolutely ONLY be an opt in program. Some of us choose not to be guinee pigs.

Obviously, based on many remarks on this forum, I would guess I am the minority. Although it does surprise me so many want 'stuff' before it's been thoroughly vetted. Who has the time or patience for that? not me I guess...

carry on.

From what I understand, if you're not signed up for the soak test and you receive the update, then you're getting the official OTA push.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
From what I understand, if you're not signed up for the soak test and you receive the update, then you're getting the official OTA push.

This was my original thought but then it's a bit counterintuitive. The purpose for the soak test is to try on people who are both willing and able to put up with the potential problems associated with early development, and who will provide valuable feedback toward a version that is free of bugs and ready for general release. For this reason I disagree.

dillont

Reaction score
Soak tests are not early development. In most cases the build sent to the soak testers ends up being the exact same file that is pushed out as an OTA after the soak test is done. The soak builds are tested thoroughly by motorola and inteded to be OTA's, they just run the soak to make sure that some problem doesn't pop up when the build is tested on a larger scale by consumers then the number of phones that motorola has tested the OTA on.

iamcheeks

Reaction score
Well its Been 24 hrs since the OTA, I must say the Razr is Smoother, ICS is in the Works Because the text Icon has a New image (the ICS icon =)*) mobile hotspot is fixed i got 2 other devices connected and running smooth, Overall 4g LTE is stable hasnt seen a drop since i installed the OTA, so i think this build is pretty ok =] Any body else agree?? I am also in Grand Rapids, MI

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Soak tests are not early development. In most cases the build sent to the soak testers ends up being the exact same file that is pushed out as an OTA after the soak test is done. The soak builds are tested thoroughly by motorola and inteded to be OTA's, they just run the soak to make sure that some problem doesn't pop up when the build is tested on a larger scale by consumers then the number of phones that motorola has tested the OTA on.

Ok, ok, so "early development" was a poor choice of words meant to drive home the point, but just the same if they were not interested in making sure it was clean before release to those who are not prepared to deal with potential problems the risk of backlash is higher.

This is exactly what your last sentence describes. This is why I don't know that those who are getting the OTA push early were actually meant to. But then were all speculating.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

carry on.

My point exactly.

clayrebel

Reaction score
Since updating last night, i haven't experienced my 4G drop, not once.
Before the update, I was lucky if I got decent 3G.
I know this maybe weird, but it sounds like my call quality improved a little.
I used to have a ton of rattle during a call, but haven't experienced that since the update.

gator57

Reaction score
Well it would seem that anyone getting the OTA are the lucky ones for I tried to get Verizon and Motorola to push it to my phone by asking nicely (didn't work) so I wanted to tell people how it went. After getting tech support on the phone at Verizon I was told that there is no update for the Razr then I said so why is it on your web site? Then all of a sudden the truth came out, its an update from Motorola I'll transfer you, then I got some guy from India (I think, it could have been some other 3rd world country where they speak and read english from a computer screen) who said " The people who have the newest version of software are randomly choosen and after that the saoftware update will be pushed to all phones by Feb 13th. The thing that makes me mad is you can't have a conversation with "Tech Support" without them saying "I understand" which finally I asked the guy to say something else besides that. Didn't work....he said "ok I understand."

SANhacker

Reaction score
Patience is a virtue. I haven't received the OTA either, but I can certainly wait until Feb. 13th. Since my RAZR is working flawlessly, I just hope it doesn't screw anything up. :biggrin:

gator57

Reaction score
I'm glad someone has it, I guess the impatience on my part is that I use my phone for all internet access and its frustrating when I need to go to a site that won't download because of software issues, other than that I am happy with the phone and will have no problem using it for the next year or two.

nubia

Reaction score
Hmmmmm what is going on Feb 13th? I have the leak 6.12.173 and it works flawlessly. It is exacally what is being pushed ota right now.... but I am clueless as to whats going on feb the 13th, whats up ?

Patience is a virtue. I haven't received the OTA either, but I can certainly wait until Feb. 13th. Since my RAZR is working flawlessly, I just hope it doesn't screw anything up. :biggrin: