New nexus owner, some questions

skyshadow

Reaction score
I just got my nexus today and I'll start by saying its a wicked good phone and ice cream sandwich is really smooth. Minus some reception issues I like it a lot. The only concern I have is the gpu. I know it uses a slightly older one that's clocked at a higher speed and I'm worried that in time newer games will lag and have issues playing on it. I already see stutter in drag racing which is a 2d racing game and I see lag in order and chaos. My question is that is this gpu actually the reason and its outdated hardware or is it that these games are optimized for ics? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am an avid gamer and I don't want to be stuck with an awesome phone that has a old gpu. Thanks guys!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Could be optimization. I play alot of Modern Combat 3 and never noticed any lag, and that game is fairly demanding of the device. Also play alot fo Reckless Racing and Where's my Water

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Since ICS is fairly new, I don't believe that all apps are fully optimized for it...but we are seeing more apps updated regularly to play better with ICS..

Congrats on the GNex...

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to keep defending the Nexus, but I've been playing Modern Combat 3 a lot lately, which is a pretty graphically intense game. It looks incredible and I notice no lag/stuttering and I'm one of those guys who can see when my FPS drops under 60 on PC games, so I think the GPU is very capable for most current games. Who knows what we'll see in this next year, I imagine we'll see a lot more graphically intense games with tablets becoming more popular, but for now I don't think there are many games that could drag the Nexus down. I'll have to try out some other games and see how they work as well.

OP
S

skyshadow

Reaction score
thanks for all the input so far. Guess I'm just a bit edgy about owning a new phone. I just want to make sure I have the best phone since I have to keep it for 20 months. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that besides the iPhone 4s the nexus has the best gpu on verizon currently. I guess I was just wondering this because both those games run better on the Droid 3 as of right now

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the input so far. Guess I'm just a bit edgy about owning a new phone. I just want to make sure I have the best phone since I have to keep it for 20 months. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that besides the iPhone 4s the nexus has the best gpu on verizon currently. I guess I was just wondering this because both those games run better on the Droid 3 as of right now Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
Technically the Rezound has a better GPU than the Nexus.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I just got my nexus today and I'll start by saying its a wicked good phone and ice cream sandwich is really smooth. Minus some reception issues I like it a lot. The only concern I have is the gpu. I know it uses a slightly older one that's clocked at a higher speed and I'm worried that in time newer games will lag and have issues playing on it. I already see stutter in drag racing which is a 2d racing game and I see lag in order and chaos. My question is that is this gpu actually the reason and its outdated hardware or is it that these games are optimized for ics? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am an avid gamer and I don't want to be stuck with an awesome phone that has a old gpu. Thanks guys!

I haven't played any games on a stock nexus, but I know most of the devs optimized the gpu play games better.

Android revolution HD has done a good job of this. I used it (now on Axiom) and never had an issue with any lag.

So if it'd an issue, you can always root and know there's a fix out there. The major benefit of owning a Nexus!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I play games like crazy and nothing has caused any lag for me yet. Most of the roms out now give a slight additional overclock to the gpu's. As suggested, maybe give one of them a shot.

OP
S

skyshadow

Reaction score
Well maybe then for me its because a few of the games may not be updated to the point where they run perfectly with ics? I mean when this phone was first rumored everyone was going on about how its using a outdated gpu, that's what I am really concerned about.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well maybe then for me its because a few of the games may not be updated to the point where they run perfectly with ics? I mean when this phone was first rumored everyone was going on about how its using a outdated gpu, that's what I am really concerned about.

May be outdated, but it's more than enough. But yes, the Rezound does have a better gpu technically. Thought you did alot of research?:p

OP
S

skyshadow

Reaction score
Honestly even though i think about how i might want another device, i still come back to the nexus, its superior in almost every way that I care about (btw the nexus currently does have the best android gpu right now on Verizon's network) Only other thing I'm worried about is burn in. Also having some minor other issues (keyboard typing lag in landscape mode only, no 4g, and issues with multi touch in some games. Im a really indecisive person knowing I will have to keep a phone for 20 months is hard for me lol, But so far I'm happy with my decision.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I had the Nexus but switched it for the Rezound because of the reception and GPS lock issues. From what I've read, some are saying the Rezound GPU is superior to the Nexus but I don't care since I'm not a gamer.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've had 0 dropped calls on the gnex and I use GPS almost daily on the car dock. As accurate as it can be and locks me quicker than my wife's standalone gps unit.