Should i buy the Galaxy Nexus or No?

BSG4893

Reaction score
Currently in the past 7 months i have went from buying the iphone 4 to returning it a week and a half later for the thunderbolt and then after 2 months of complaining to verizon about problems they gave me a charge and finally sold that for a bionic last month. I love my bionic dont get me wrong i cant knock it because it is a great phone but coming from an AMOLED screen to qHD is really starting to bother me and also having a great camera on my iphone 4, thunderbolt, and charge is haunting me because my bionic camera to be honest is garbage and i know yes it is just a cell phone camera, however, lets me real im a guy so i am not carrying around a camera so i just use my cell phone all the time and with all those previous phones it was viable. Now im considering selling my bionic and picking up either the nexus or the razr however im sided more toward the nexus due to the fact that it has ICS upon release and i love the 720p screen. Whats edging me toward not getting this phone is i like to play a lot of games when i have the chance on my phone if im bored, primarily gameloft games which are hd. My question is, is it worth getting the Galaxy Nexus still with its outdated GPU because from what i hear everyone is making it out to be a huge deal especially if you like to play games on your phone. Any points of advice are helpful, no bashing please its just not necessary, all positive and helpful comments are appreciated.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
too early to tell

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I would definitely buy it. It'll probably run games just fine. Are the games you playing working fine on your Bionic? It has the exact same GPU iirc.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

wickedkae

Reaction score
This is my exact problem. I use my phone for gameloft games too and an outdated gpu sure doesn't make the gn future proof. What about the razr and rezound, are their gpu's better?

alucard9114

Reaction score
Yes was thinking twice because of the gpu but listened to last weeks Android central podcast and im for sure getting this phone.I mean its a Nexus on Verizon with a cpu that has been known to run at 1.5ghz :hail:Galaxy Nexus.

alucard9114

Reaction score
The Gpu is the same as the one in the bionic but its overclocked by almost 100mhz so it will perform better than the bionic.When i had my Bionic Modern combat 2,and both nova games ran perfect so did PSX so this should be slammin!

P.S. android 4.0 is optimized for dual core so huge performance over Bionic!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
^+1 what was said above. GPU is the same as the one in bionic but clocked at, I believe if my old memory serves correctly, 384 mhz. Which is substantially higher. Enjoy an ice cream "samich" and get your game on! Oh, I feel like a kid again! Thank you Google.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
P.S. android 4.0 is optimized for dual core so huge performance over Bionic!!!!!!!!!!!

so your saying when the bionic gets ics the nexus will have huge performance over the bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

harpua

Reaction score
idk what you should do. make a pros and cons list from what you think deep down? then won't have anyone to blame but yourself if things don't go as hoped.

Look- I WANT THIS PHONE SO DAMN BADLY. I have an O.G motorola Droid and I am beginning to wonder if i should just go get something else this coming week...Because Honestly...I just don't know how healthy this is what I'm doing to myself. Waiting. Googling this phone 4-5x a day. Constantly re-reading and rewatching videos and writeups on it. I am losing my MIND!!!

I DON'T WANT TO WAIT 3 MORE DAMN WEEKS. That is all :mad:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
People are worried about the GPU because benchmarks are showing lower scores. They're showing lower scores because the screen is 720P. It's still going to run games completely fine, all benchmarks are affected by screen resolution, that's why there's always been a standard resolution set for computers when doing test benchmarks so that the test results can actually be beneficial. Phones don't have this standard set as of yet because it hasn't been necessary to the phone community.

If the GPU is your only worry, you should get it on day one. The screen is reportedly gorgeous and the camera is insanely good.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
so your saying when the bionic gets ics the nexus will have huge performance over the bionic
yes. bionic gpu is clocked at 200mhz while nexus is clocked at 384mhz. quite a difference in gpu performance.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may not be huge, because the speeds may normalize because of the much higher resolution screen being used with the Nexus, but there will be a slight advantage to the Nexus.

With a higher resolution screen, the device needs the faster GPU speeds to perform as well as a lower resolution screen. The good thing is, they overclocked the GPU to 384mhz, which according to the few hands on reviews we've had is more than enough to have an incredible screen, along with the performance you'd expect from a high end device.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This phone will run games just fine, especially when the cpu is overclocked! Also, I'm sure there will be reviews before the phone even comes out.

DJNight

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a side by side comparison of the nexus and the Droid Razr? Those are the 2 I am torn between, although I admit I have been waiting for the galaxy nexus since we all first heard the rumors of it... I like the "ruggedness" of the razr. I am a bit rough on my phones so does anyone have experience with samsung devices in general with regards to durability etc? What gpu chip does the Razr have?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
There haven't been any side by side hands on reviews of the Razr/Nexus yet, I imagine we'll see one this coming week.

I expect the Razr will beat the Nexus in benchmarks, but only because the Nexus is running 4.0 and hasn't been optimized yet + using an HD screen hurts benchmark scores.

They should be comparable otherwise, because their hardware is pretty similar.

I expect the Nexus' camera will destroy the Razr's solely because Motorola is known for having insanely slow shutter speed/bad stock software.

The Razr's screen is supposed to be pretty nice, but every hands on video I've seen said the Nexus' screen is amazing, so they'll be pretty close with the Nexus being slightly larger and having a higher resolution.

The Razr's battery has 30mAH over the Nexus, so they should be pretty close in terms of battery life, although Moto has more experience on how to increase battery life with an LTE chip on board.

I think what it will come down to is how quickly the Razr gets 4.0 and the aesthetics of each phone. Although I do think the Nexus will pull ahead personally because of it's camera, lack of bloatware and NFC capabilities.