Galaxy Nexus Outperforms iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by BL4Z3D247, Nov 20, 2011.

1. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Looks like the G-Nex outperforms the iPhone 4S in some key areas. Check it out!

Like we weren't excited about the Galaxy Nexus enough already. The crew at AnandTech has been busily benchmarking Android's new flagship against Apple's top performer. The results? The Galaxy Nexus is the new king of the hill in some key areas. In the SunSpider Javascript Benchmark (version 0.9.1) the Galaxy Nexus scored a very speedy 1879 versus the iPhone 4S's 2250. Obviously, lower is better in this test. The Nexus also outperformed the 4S in the Rightware BrowserMark test, scoring 98,272 versus the 4S's 87,841 (higher is better). The translation of this clusterflock of numbers is that page rendering on the Galaxy Nexus should be faster. Experientially, our Mat Honan found web browsing on the Nexus to be very quick indeed. The thing is the processor on the Galaxy Nexus is nothing otherworldly, which means that Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) has made some serious software enhancements. In other words, when ICS comes to a phone or tablet with beefier specs it's going to give you whiplash.
    Full size
    [​IMG]
    But don't worry, Apple fans, when it came to the graphics processing benchmarks the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2 both beat the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus did extremely well, just not as well. This means that, theoretically, gaming performance and other graphically intensive tasks should be slightly better on those iDevices. You can see all of the numbers over at AnandTech. Benchmarking is a handy tool to give you relative, objective numbers about how a device performs. That said, these numbers don't always translate to user experience. I've tested phones that benchmarked well, but then were slow and terrible to use in practice. However, in this case preliminary testing of the Galaxy Nexus has been extremely favorable (as it has been with the iPhone 4S, obviously), so it's nice to hear that there are some raw numbers to back up these first impressions. [AnandTech via 9to5Mac]

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5861245/the-galaxy-nexus-outperforms-the-iphone-4s

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

#1 BL4Z3D247, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I guess it's not that surprising, huh?

3. alucard9114

alucard9114 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Wow!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

4. mzjin

mzjin Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It means that Ice-cream sandwich has much better browser rendering performance than Gingerbread (both Droid Razr and Galaxy Nexus are same processor speeds).

It also means that the 800mhz iOS is still a vastly superior renderer, because given a 50% increase in CPU speeds, it would leapfrog the Galaxy Nexus.

This is nothing to be proud of, it really just means that Android, even in 4.0 guise, is slower than iOS.

5. 305rev305

305rev305 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    At the end of the day, iDevices in certain times work faster with less specs because how limited and controlled their whole OS is. It's a choice we all have, both have their positives and negatives...

#5 305rev305, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. mzjin

mzjin Member

Ratings:
    +1
    And it's something that Google must eventually decide, whether or not to control for hardware and software from top to bottom.

Having marketshare is one thing, but sacrificing quality is another. It's a classic mistake every market maker goes through, as we see what happened to Toyota's quality as they fought for market share.

Google is not doing it right, and all the problems - App & market fragmentation, updates, performance, bugs & build quality - is what consumers are paying for.

Apple is doing it right at the expense of slower rate of technological adoption (screen size, 4G etc).

7. ex0rcist

ex0rcist Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Rzr bionic and rezound will produce the same results on ics... and remember of all the phones ive read gnex is weakest in gpu area.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

8. 305rev305

305rev305 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree 110% with you. Sometimes when my phone gives me that rare lag I wish I had the iphone BUT when I think about it carefully I really don't want Apple's simple and boring only apps OS. Both companies can't be the same... They both need their own way and then fight for customers. It's our decision what we prefer. As long as Android doesn't monitor their system like you mention, Apple will remain that phone that "simply works ".

9. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +25
    You do realize the Razr has the same gpu as the G-Nex only it's clocked to 220 and the G-Nex is clocked to 384.

Also maybe you guys missed where they say the gpu did extremely well just not as well as the iPhone 4S. So it's still a very impressive phone no matter what light you look at it in.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

10. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    This is incorrect. The Nexus has the same GPU as the Razr, except it's overclocked from 200mhz to 384mhz and the Rezound's isn't anything special, so no, they won't produce the same results, they will be slower.

Edit: BL4Z3D247 beat me to it.

11. patriot95

patriot95 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    And it always will be as long as it continues to be a more robust opporating system. Which I'm not complaining about, I prefer the functionality of Android over the barely noticable speed increases of iOS.

12. ex0rcist

ex0rcist Member

Ratings:
    +6
    300mhz for the bionic i believe ...?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk