[New] Motorola responds to Droid X rumors, promises eFuse won't destroy phone

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-x-ih1.jpg

Over the past week, rumors have been swirling in regards to the eFuse chip, and the possible ramifications of attempting to install custom software on your Droid X. Alarmists in the Android community went as far to say that if one were to install a custom ROM or kernel, attempt root, or hack the bootloader, the "eFuse" chip would trigger a hardware malfunction on your phone. Others argued that the eFuse chip is not a new technology at all, and has been used in many other smartphones, including the Moto Droid, Milestone, and HTC Incredible; that the only limitation with the Droid X lies in the encrypted bootloader.

Motorola has kept its silence about the "eFuse" situation, until now. Engadget reached out to Motorola with these issues, and today James King, Marketing Director for Motorola, finally responded:

"Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader. In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at http://developer.motorola.com."

So, it seems that the eFuse chip rumor has been official squashed by Motorola. Everyone can now breathe a sigh of relief, as it won't trigger a hardware (or software) malfunction. Instead, as with any bootloader, the Droid X's encrypted bootloader will check if a device is attempting to boot unapproved software. If the software is indeed unapproved, the Droid X will not flash anything. It will boot into recovery mode, from where you can reboot back into the Android OS.

So as a final wrap-up, are the conspiracy theorists yet convinced? And does this development spark any new interest in purchasing the Droid X?

Source Engadget

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Called that way before now. Too many panicked about this, even when our own Droid has eFuse ...

Mojo

Reaction score
Well good deal... now people can quit opening new threads on the subject.

Rhino413

Reaction score
Flashing OH MY

with this news that the efuse poses no threat to the X and that the Droid one has the efuse and taking into account that the boot loader on the X is encrypted. does this mean that once the encryption is broken and a new recovery is flashed to the X similar to how a droid flashes roms are root and custom roms likely on the X anytime soon

MAzing87

Reaction score
So the X is rootable then? I know that's not a word but I'm just saying.

erikfig

Reaction score
Well, now i can consider bying the freaking phone later on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bje1982

Reaction score
I really hope this isnt the start of the end for us hackers...

clucernoni

Reaction score
It doesn't really change much though. The bootloader is heavily encrypted..just like the milestone. By the time this thing is unlocked there will be phones with twice the firepower as the X and there will be no point in buying one at that point. Plus, it doesn't change the fact that the phone doesn't work with custom ROMs.

I have been loving my droid, but I guess I will have to give HTC a try.

cj1896

Reaction score
"Motorola responds to Droid X rumors, promises eFuse won't destroy phone" only the smartphone experience

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I submitted the following in response to their post on this site. ( i had no plans to purchase the droid x, but hopefully the community feedback will make them have a change of heart, either now, or later...meanwhile hopefully we find our way in anyways):

Statement on recent bootloader and eFuse questions - MOTODEV Discussion Boards

These phones are Motorola's devices to sell and market in whatever manner they choose too. This I understand and it is how it should be. I have been very happy with my original Droid phone and I have enjoyed tinkering with it. As my first smart phone it is has come across as an amazing piece of technology for me. I've met others for whom this is far from their first smart phone and it also has been just as rewarding for them to use this device. Well done Motorola and thanks for a great device.

I can buy a computer from a variety of companies. I can then totally wipe that original software off of there, and install another OS. I do not want a windows computer to "protect" me from installing a newer version of windows, or even from installing a different OS such as Linux, which comes in many different flavors. Maybe even a more efficient version than what I first had. I may even overclock the unit.

I'd rather have that control via an app that registers my wishes and thus lets the hardware maker know I've opted out of coverage for a variety of items, such as toasted circuits if that is their concern, but perhaps not for items such as keys falling off the keyboard.

I'd like to mention that it appears the press out there indicates a more widespread community of "rooters" than what was perhaps first thought existed. This community has promoted the Droid, and helped with its sales. Good chance the reason for some of the press out there is due to that same community. You have to take the good press with the bad I guess.

Being happy with the moto-droid I've recommended it to many. In the future I will follow your advice and purchase a device such as the Nexus One that lets me use my device how I want to use it, as I should be able to, as long as I'm not violating any laws. Motorola has stated the original Droid was created with an open bootloader for business reasons. I'm curious what those were. I'm also curious how this hurt Motorola or end users and brought about a change in policy.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
lot of people out there tonight sticking their foot in their mouth.

nom nom nom