Motorola's reason we don't have a D3 unlocked bootloader

krazyace38

Reaction score
Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. A majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader.

In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software.

device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices for developers via MOTODEV at

developer.motorola.com.

I contacted them today about it and that's what they told me. :-(
Sent from my XT862 using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In away it makes sense. Motorola is looking at becoming the premier business phone for business customers (taking over where blackberry is declining). They made their stand and that is what they are looking to do. Now they are allowing methods to still mod but under their rules (ie like apple). As a customer we have a choice now and if you want an open device then the device for you will be the nexus. With that said motorola is probably the best build quality and have better radios than samsung. Hopefully motorola gets the next nexus but for now the chances of motorola unlocking bootladers soon are slim, especially on verizon.

OP
krazyace38

krazyace38

Reaction score
In away it makes sense. Motorola is looking at becoming the premier business phone for business customers (taking over where blackberry is declining). They made their stand and that is what they are looking to do. Now they are allowing methods to still mod but under their rules (ie like apple). As a customer we have a choice now and if you want an open device then the device for you will be the nexus. With that said motorola is probably the best build quality and have better radios than samsung. Hopefully motorola gets the next nexus but for now the chances of motorola unlocking bootladers soon are slim, especially on verizon.

That's so true :)

OP
krazyace38

krazyace38

Reaction score
I just got this in an email from Motorola:
[h=1]Meet the Motorola Unlockable Bootloader[/h] Motorola has recently expanded the number of devices that allow developers to unlock the bootloader and allow customization of the software image.
Motorola XOOM™ Wi-Fi and UMTS devices equipped with an unlockable bootloader are currently available in several regions. Now we’ve added a smartphone to the mix:

• In Europe, the Motorola RAZR™ Developer Edition is now available through the Motorola Shop.
  • In the U.S., we plan to make an unlockable developer device available through MOTODEV in the coming months. Keep an eye on the MOTODEV blog for updates.
[h=2]IMPORTANT[/h] Motorola strongly encourages you to thoroughly review the Bootloader FAQ so that you fully understand the risks and consequences of unlocking the bootloader. Motorola strongly recommends against altering a product's operating system, which includes the rooting of a device, unlocking the bootloader or running any operating software other than the approved versions issued by Motorola and its partners. Certain functions in your phone might cease to work. You may also damage your phone permanently. Unlocking the bootloader may cause your device to be unsafe and/or cause it to malfunction resulting in physical injuries or significant damage. Developer editions sold with an unlockable bootloader are sold "as is" with no warranty. Any other device which has had its bootloader unlocked, or whose operating system has been altered, including any failed attempts to unlock the bootloader or alter such operating system, are not covered by Motorola's warranty. Please read more about the risks associated with unlocking the bootloader.

We are continuing to explore the possibility of offering additional devices with unlockable bootloaders in the future, in other markets across the globe, as allowed by our carrier and regulatory obligations.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
They should still give us the option to unlock the bootloader. We understand the risks, we understand your concern, but the community I'm a part of knows what they're doing, and so do I, and we're all smart enough to keep our devices secure as possible without that. If anything, it's hindering our ability to make the device better. We'll still have the security, and on most devices we have a failsafe. Most of the time, if we find ourself in a pickle we can wiggle our way out of it.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

OP
krazyace38

krazyace38

Reaction score
They should still give us the option to unlock the bootloader. We understand the risks, we understand your concern, but the community I'm a part of knows what they're doing, and so do I, and we're all smart enough to keep our devices secure as possible without that. If anything, it's hindering our ability to make the device better. We'll still have the security, and on most devices we have a failsafe. Most of the time, if we find ourself in a pickle we can wiggle our way out of it.

I feel the same way that's pretty much what I told the tech and he told me that's just what he has been told to tell everyone who ask about it and that its up to Motorola CEO's to decide otherwise (ROLL TIDE) :)

ThisIsMyName

Reaction score
Yeah, excuse my French but Motorola's response to locked bootloaders is bull**** pure and simple. It can't be the carrier's fault because there have been unlocked and unlockable bootloaders both before and after eFuse came out and they're on every carrier including Verizon. If they were worried about the security of the user but didn't want to prevent more advanced users from unlocking their phones, they could have provided a tool for that like HTC did.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Yeah, excuse my French but Motorola's response to locked bootloaders is bull**** pure and simple. It can't be the carrier's fault because there have been unlocked and unlockable bootloaders both before and after eFuse came out and they're on every carrier including Verizon. If they were worried about the security of the user but didn't want to prevent more advanced users from unlocking their phones, they could have provided a tool for that like HTC did.

Exactly. They just want to have control over everything. I guess they're trying to prove something to someone. I think it would be awesome if the Android Modding Community would/could get together, acquire a phone company or build one, distribute our own phones and software built on Android, and target Android fanboys and girls. Most of the developers already know as much as the bigwigs so I don't think it would be all that hard. Aside from gathering the money that would be needed to start such a thing.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I mean, it really wouldn't be any different than how Apple, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc. operate. They appeal to certain customers. If Moto and Verizon only want businesses to use them, we would have modders as our customers.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Exactly. They just want to have control over everything. I guess they're trying to prove something to someone. I think it would be awesome if the Android Modding Community would/could get together, acquire a phone company or build one, distribute our own phones and software built on Android, and target Android fanboys and girls. Most of the developers already know as much as the bigwigs so I don't think it would be all that hard. Aside from gathering the money that would be needed to start such a thing.

If my powerball ticket hits tonight, I'm in! :biggrin:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
If my powerball ticket hits tonight, I'm in! :biggrin:

Hahaha! I really wish it could happen. And goodluck with your powerball. :)

hufn

Reaction score

Except the problem is they really don't care that we actually exist in the first place. I would be surprised if the total modding population comprised 1% of the actual users (meaning those who do roms and such, not general mods) so therefore they just don't do anything because they don't want to let us, we just don't figure in the equation at all... As for Apple, they absolutely to not setup for modding within their guidelines. If they could stop the jailbreaking completely they would do it in a heartbeat. A jailbreak comes out and they try to release an update to stop it immediately. They hate that - because apple knows best ;p

I loved the flexibility of my OD and do miss it sometimes, but the d3 has been very good to me :). Considering the 906 update right now although I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet...