PSA: Unlocking Your Moto X Pure Will Void Your Warranty

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Sep 19, 2015.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,221
    [​IMG]

There is a bit of confusion as to whether or not unlocking the Moto X Pure Bootloader will void your warranty. Motorola has a developer program. They will maintain the warranty on developer devices where the bootloader has been unlocked. The Moto X Pure is NOT a developer device. When you go to Motorola's website to unlock your bootloader you will have to chose to void your warranty twice. Once you have given Motorola your unique device ID and have received your bootloader unlock code you have officially voided your warranty.

Motorola adds a Warning boot screen to alert vendors that the warranty has been voided. Technically you can remove the boot screen, and you can revert to stock and relock your bootloader, but you still run the risk of Motorola not fixing a device even if the issue is hardware related and not software related. Remember that unlocking your bootloader makes it easy to install unapproved firmware to the phone which can permanently brick your device. If you have bootloader unlocked your device and checked the box to void your warranty Motorola may not fix your device no matter what the problem is. Just be careful folks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ruvy01

ruvy01 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Why I love my Oneplus 2, unlocked bootloader, rooted, twrp, and Xposed installed and still have my warranty! :)

3. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,221
  4. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +900
    kinda heavy handed though...

they release this device full well knowing that we will root and rom and unlock.. then slap the S out of us when we do.

I'd be willing to pay $30- $50 more to not void my warranty... and they'd probably make a killing with that

5. SpeJ3435

SpeJ3435 Active Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Current Phone Model:
    64GB White Nexus 6
    They tried that with the developer edition devices and I don't believe they sold very well. That was also during the times of subsidized phones. Now that subsidies are gone, I think the program might be a little more successful. I love my Droid Maxx DE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 Active Member

Ratings:
    +138
    Don't start that developer edition crap!! With phones that came out 5 months After initial release date, 300% markup, and no real press release to let ppl know... Smh, that's why they failed...!

7. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Make a killing? Probably not. In all actuality the root and development community is pretty small. Most people aren't going to go after a phone purely because you can unlock it.
    Case in point, my fiancée ( who is reasonably technically minded) prefers an iPhone But when she had an S-series still didn't root it or anything. There isn't a need to for the things she wanted to do. She hated Touch whiz, bit not enough to worry about bricking a device while testing a new rom.
    That is how most people are.
    Smart phones have become main stream, therefore the spec and flagship wars are over. The focus is on features now. And unlocked bootloaders don't appeal to the masses.

• Like Like x 2
  8. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +900
    think of it as an extended lifetime warranty instead of the basic one year warranty, not just for those of us who root but others who don't it would just extend the warranty. something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Sort of what I was going to say. If you unlock, buy the third party warranty. It may be expensive but it's better than having to replace the entire phone out of pocket.

#9 FoxKat, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. tech_head

tech_head Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    That won't fly with a class action suit.
    A true defect in hardware must be fixed. Same with a car. You install parts on a car during warranty. Something fails, they claim that since you had non factory parts the entire warranty is void. The car manufacturer needs to prove that the installed part caused a failure.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Ca. you cannot waive rights you don't know you have.
    Motorola/Lenovo might want to look at US Consumer Law and laws of various jurisdictions before they go claiming you void your warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tech_head

tech_head Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Oh, also, maybe I'll buy the iPhone 6s instead of the Moto X Pure. At least I can jailbreak and take over the device.
    Apple may be draconian but they don't void the hardware warranty of jailbroken devices.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I don't know why this is suddenly a concern, especially to those of us that have been rooting for years. Rooting your device has ALWAYS voided your warranty. (Except maybe an actual Nexus)
    And we've always been able to return them to stock, which in turn restores said warranty. Why all the hubbub now over a voided warranty?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1