More On Samsung KNOX From ChainFire, KNOX Maybe An Efuse

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-knox1.jpg

Samsung knox was designed to make Samsung phones appealing to industry right...??? It feels like Samsung created Knox to meddle with my Roming habits. More info came out today in the form of a "Chainfire" google plus post detailing more of what Knox is for the Samsung devices. Knox has been marketed as security for phones that can be used for work. It seems that it serves another purpose as well. We have known that if knox were tripped the warranty would be void, today Chainfire posted that it could be worse then what we had first anticipated.

Chainfire posted that he is hearing from good sources that KNOX is indeed an Efuse. I have not heard the word efuse since the Droid X days. If this turns out to be the case when you touch the bootloader you will trip the efuse which will void the warranty. Even worse service center instructions are to refuse any repairs on devices that have the efuse tripped status. The reason being that the phone was damaged by the owner. So this sucks in so many ways. If the speaker goes bad they refuse to repair it because you tripped the efuse which has absolutely nothing to do with the way the speaker works.

There is an EU regulation that can be interpreted to say rooting and unlocking can't void a warranty, but you may have to take the shop to court which may get you know where. Does any of this make you weary when it comes to rooting your phone. As for me who cares I change phones often enough that I don't personally have to worry with manufactures warranties. I can see where if you hold on to a phone for more than a year this could possibly be a big issue. Will this keep you from purchasing Samsung phones?

Via ChainFire+

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I rooted my Note 3 the day after I got it. The touch screen stopped responding to touch so I took it back to TMobile to swap it. I got a new one and will not be rooting it until further notice. I'll be using Helium to backup my apps and data. It sucks because I want Carrier IQ gone but for now, I have to live with it.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Thanks a lot Samsung :censored:.. really makes me want to give you my money. Release a dev edition and maybe you will make it back on my xmas list.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd love to see the numbers from Samsung that indicates phones broken directly from rooting and unlocking the bootloader. I have a feeling its pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. Considering how minimal our community is, it seems like a waste of time to continue to target us like this.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'd love to see the numbers from Samsung that indicates phones broken directly from rooting and unlocking the bootloader. I have a feeling its pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. Considering how minimal our community is, it seems like a waste of time to continue to target us like this.
Rooting is quite popular these days, and plenty of people are getting in on the action. Especially since more and more people are running into apps they'd like to use, but require root access to take advantage of it. Not to mention devs have made things extremely easy on us power users, providing one click root tools and the like.

Even so, this doesn't surprise me about Samsung. They are becoming more and more like Apple all the time. Locking down their system is a pretty big step in that direction.

boidsonly

Reaction score
I WAS going to replace my Note 2 with the Note 3; guess I'll look for another phone made by another manufacturer. Has Samsung gone Apple on us?