New Guy + Google Voice

Reaction score
Hello, I don't have a Droid yet but the wife and I are looking into them. We currently have and will have Verizon.

One question I have is about Google Voice. I've poked around a bit but have seen two answers to the question. When you use the Google Voice app are you using only your Data plan, or are you using actual talk minutes. Like I said, I've seen both answers to that question! I'd like to know for sure.

Also with Google Voice, is it possible to receive incoming calls through the app? Is using GV more of a hassle than it's worth to save money on talk minutes?

Thanks!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV for voicemail is data only -- no minutes involved.

I dont use GV for talk, so I'll have to defer.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
:welcome: to the forum. I am sure if you look around you will probably find your answers. Unfortunately I do not use Google Voice. I thought I read somewhere that the drawback to Google Voice is you are using your minutes so if you have friends and family numbers and you call them with Google Voice you do not get the call free. Now I maybe wrong but I remember something like that.

TekHawk

Reaction score
Hello, I don't have a Droid yet but the wife and I are looking into them. We currently have and will have Verizon.

One question I have is about Google Voice. I've poked around a bit but have seen two answers to the question. When you use the Google Voice app are you using only your Data plan, or are you using actual talk minutes. Like I said, I've seen both answers to that question! I'd like to know for sure.

Also with Google Voice, is it possible to receive incoming calls through the app? Is using GV more of a hassle than it's worth to save money on talk minutes?

Thanks!

It uses minutes on all calls through it unless you take the time to dial into GV to make the calls not using the app and have your GV number on your calling circle feature thing what ever it is called on VZW. How ever if you do not do a lot of V2V calling you can save some minute using the GMail call feature with GV which gives you the option to push * on your cell while in a GV based call to transfer it to the PC which is a true VOIP call.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I thought it sounded too good to be true. It would be a hassle to sign into GV (not the app) every time to make a call just to save minutes. At some point the hassle it would be isn't worth the money saved.

Just trying to figure out realistically how to get a Droid! There have been so many times where having a smart phone would have been very useful. I've always had "normal" phones (have an LG Env3 right now).

TekHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I thought it sounded too good to be true. It would be a hassle to sign into GV (not the app) every time to make a call just to save minutes. At some point the hassle it would be isn't worth the money saved.

Just trying to figure out realistically how to get a Droid! There have been so many times where having a smart phone would have been very useful. I've always had "normal" phones (have an LG Env3 right now).

really all you have to do is dial a number hit 2 i think then dial the person you want to call but yea not as good as it used to be

OP
L
Reaction score
Alright I'm taking the plunge today! Heading out after work to pick up a new Droid X!

OP
L
Reaction score
Wow this thing is pretty amazing! Uses quite a bit of battery power though!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow this thing is pretty amazing! Uses quite a bit of battery power though!

Based on the time of and content of your post it appears that you purchased an X today. The X is a very solid phone. Check out the entire X section in the Forum.

Mike

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use GV to save on texting, not actually calling. I can justify the data plan when 10-15 dollars of it could be used for texting, but GV takes care of that ;)

UNC

Reaction score
Free calls on gv!!!

Dude, just set up the GV access number as one of your "friends and family" numbers, and only give out your GV # to people to keep the incoming calls from going to your "real" phone line.

Then you can use GV to call ANYONE for free.

OP
L
Reaction score
Another random question:

The person at Verizon told me that I shouldn't use the screen protectors that you have to get wet; only use the static cling ones. What do you think about this? Are the VZ ones just fine?

I was also told that I should get an Otterbox case, but they aren't out yet. Has anyone heard when they are?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The VZ ones are good. They have cut outs for the sensors so the screen rotates, and turns off when your head is near it on a phone call.
Tough to put on, but good.

moosc

Reaction score
I have no screen protector or a case. My X looks like new and I have had my X from day one. As for GV Google has made changes to even if u set up a friends n family deal it will still count mins.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk