New Member -Googlevoice question

nbb

Reaction score
Hi. I just got a Droid Eris with Verizon. I'm actually new to data pkgs. as well, being content til now with simply voice and text from Verizon. I consider that I know just enough to be dangerous so I'm hoping someone has already solved my problem and can tell me, yes you can or no you can't!

To use my Verizon voice service in the Dominican Republic, it costs $1.99/minute.... I'm tired of paying this. I have a Google voice number local to my Verizon number. My question is this: If I make a call from my Droid while physically in DR to a US number using google voice over either (a) the Verizon data network <unlim kb avail for $2.16/day> OR (b) an existing wireless connection that bypasses the verizon network I should not accrue Verizon cell minutes, right? The same would go if I received a call to the google voice number, right?

Also, if I forward my Verizon number to the Google number, would any calls made to the Verizon number accrue as regular (not the $1.99) cell minutes since it's a forward to the local Google number?

Any help is appreciated.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not be outside of the good old USA since 71 (pre cell/smart phones) I think the VZW customer service folks should be able to provide you with your best options.

Mike

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
International calls: Making international calls

You can make international calls at very low rates with Google Voice. You can do this at any time through the Google Voice website or the Google Voice phone system.
Get started by purchasing credit through Google Checkout. Rates vary by country and will be counted on a per minute basis. To view international calling rates, simply click the See Rates link in the Billing tab of your Google Voice Settings page.
You can make calls outside the United States from the Google Voice website or through the Google Voice phone system:

• From the website: Click the Call button at the top left of the page and enter "+country code" or "+1countrycode" (depending where you're calling) followed by the international number. For example: +442012345612345 or +1246-426-0200.
  • From the Google Voice phone system: Access the Google Voice phone system by either calling your Google number, or if you're using Google Voice with a non-Google number, calling your access number from a mobile phone registered on your account. Once you're in the Google Voice system, press 2 to make a call. When dialing an international number, enter 011, the country code, and then the number (for example: 011442012345612345).

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Dominican Republic per minute rates:
Dominican Republic - $0.06
Dominican Republic (Mobile) - $0.11

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
It would be free over wifi if you can get SipDroid/Google Voice/sipgate to work flawlessly but I tried and it was pretty difficult and quality wasn't consistent. I'm still waiting for Google to release Gizmo5 that should make things easier for VoiP/Wifi calling.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, nbb! Looks like LuN3yDaV3 has found what you need. Enjoy your new Eris!

orion2001

Reaction score
I'm confused though. If he is in DR, isn't he on Roaming as far as Verizon goes and as he mentioned being charged $1.99/min for any phone calls while in DR?

The way I understand it, you can make Cheap International calls with GV while you are still in the US and not on roaming. Please correct me if I am wrong. If he is in DR, even if he connects with GV somehow, it is still a roaming incoming or outgoing call to his GV number which then routes him to his final phone destination. In eithercase he will have to pay the $1.99/min rate for this.

Since GV doesn't do pure VOIP and has to interface with your phone via a regular phone connection, it seems that there is no way to escape this roaming rate purely using GV. Now if you setup Sipdroid+GV using sipsorcery, then of course it would be completely free and you would be relying on Wifi access to make the call (or 3G, but that would again be really expensive due to roaming).

I could be totally wrong as I only read up on and setup sipdroid on my Droid today, but this is how I understand it at the moment.

Cheers

Edit - Yup, I think I'm right on this one. This thread also indicates that you would be charged international rates:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=4b745f049ec3339b&hl=en
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=768016db4144f7ce&hl=en
If you are using your cell phone outside your plan's service area, then you will be charged roaming fees (check your contract for details).

If you are placing calls from within your service area, then you would not be charged roaming fees.

So if you are trying to reach your Google Voice number when you are out of the country, then you will most likely be charged roaming fees and an international calling fee.

If you are simply calling GV from within your service area, and then placing an international call, you should only be charged air time minutes by your carrier. The long distance charges will be on your GV account.

Only way to avoid this is to setup free VOIP calling using a service like sipgate along with sipsorcery

Last edited: