New Droid Turbo

kevins686

Reaction score
So I had a Droid Maxx for almost two years before the screen broke a couple months ago. I claimed a replacement through Asurion, and just last week, that phone (reconditioned, not new) crapped out: the camera stopped working, the earpiece volume became intermittent, and the battery life plummeted. Since the phone was still under warranty through Asurion, I called to get a replacement. My heart sank when they said they didn't have the Droid Maxx in stock. My heart then sang when she said they'd send me brand-new (not recondidtioned) Droid Turbo as a replacement. Pretty sweet, huh?

A couple questions:

1. I know the phone comes with a special charger that quick-charges the phone; is it still okay to use a regular Android charger?

2. Any recommendations for a good, stylish, thin cover?

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I use the same charger that I also used with my Droid Maxx for overnight charging. If I need the Turbo charger for a quick charge, then I grab it. There is a pretty lengthy discussion on here somewhere about the pros & cons of the turbo charger. If you like thin TPU cases (I do also) here is the one I bought, they come in a few different colors (I bought the clear to show off the ballistic nylon and blue buttons):

Amazon.com Motorola DROID Turbo Ballistic Nylon Case Cimo Wave Premium Slim TPU Flexible Soft Case For Motorola DROID Turbo Ballistic Nylon Only - Clear Cell Phones Accessories

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
^^All of that and more! You can definitely use any Android charger, but it might take a bit longer than your Maxx. Though if it's usually overnight shouldn't be an issue (not to mention after a full day I usually go to bed with 50-60% still left). Personally I love the turbo charger and mainly use it, it's also great for charging my laptop, does it in 1/3 the time the default charger does.

That's also awesome you got it for free(ish)! I had something similar happen with my Bionic where it kept messing up so after the 3rd refurb they said we'll just give you an HTC Rezound, which is easily one of the best phones I've had to date.

And I use the same case and HIGHLY recommend it. I'm totally a minimalist with smart phones and this case is exactly what I was looking for. And there's so many options too. My ONLY complaint is the buttons can be kind of hard to push, but that's also not entirely a bad thing since I haven't once accidentally pushed them. And depending on certain things about your lifestyle (aka how often you eat around your phone), I'd advise taking the case off once a week or so and just blowing on it or giving it a little rub down with a tissue or queue tip. As with most TPU cases it can accumulate little bits of crumbs or hairs or whatever that are easier to deal with if you occasionally wipe it off instead of letting it sit for awhile.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Caution... As per Motorola's site..to calibrate the turbo battery and battery meter..you need to use the turbo charger and charge the battery from any point, to 100% and let it stay plugged in for a few more hours...this was has been the most accurate way to avoid the 30% shut off..

There is also of course the FoxKat method..so whichever to use is up to you..I bring this up merely as a cautionary suggestion.. Because I never used the turbo charger and i ran into and slight issue with the battery meter being off...

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
I use the same charger that I also used with my Droid Maxx for overnight charging. If I need the Turbo charger for a quick charge, then I grab it. There is a pretty lengthy discussion on here somewhere about the pros & cons of the turbo charger. If you like thin TPU cases (I do also) here is the one I bought, they come in a few different colors (I bought the clear to show off the ballistic nylon and blue buttons):

Amazon.com Motorola DROID Turbo Ballistic Nylon Case Cimo Wave Premium Slim TPU Flexible Soft Case For Motorola DROID Turbo Ballistic Nylon Only - Clear Cell Phones Accessories

That's a sweet-looking case, and is just about what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it's only compatible with the 64GB ballistic nylon phone, and not my 32GB Kevlar unit . ..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's a sweet-looking case, and is just about what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it's only compatible with the 64GB ballistic nylon phone, and not my 32GB Kevlar unit . ..
The same company makes the same case for the kevlar phone also. It's on Amazon for the same price....I think. Search for Droid Turbo TPU case and you should find it, it will say "not for ballistic nylon". I prefer a phone without a case, but these newer phones are slippery (at least they are to me) so I like the super thin TPU cases, no extra bulk but a little extra grip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Guilty. Notice I didn't say "I love it!". :D
Have not seen a case ever made that I actually like.
And my Turbo is still very often naked.

"I don't always use a case, but when I do...."
:D

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Just got the case I'd ordered. Fits like a glove, looks great, and it actually makes the volume rocker and power buttons easier to find and easier distinguish from one another - one of the minor quibbles I've had about my last couple Droid phones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So I had a Droid Maxx for almost two years before the screen broke a couple months ago. I claimed a replacement through Asurion, and just last week, that phone (reconditioned, not new) crapped out: the camera stopped working, the earpiece volume became intermittent, and the battery life plummeted. Since the phone was still under warranty through Asurion...theysaid they'd send me brand-new (not recondidtioned) Droid Turbo as a replacement.

1. I know the phone comes with a special charger that quick-charges the phone; is it still okay to use a regular Android charger?

Yes, as @sajokaz mentioned, most standard USB chargers will work fine with the Turbo, and in fact I recommend using the Turbo Charger for only those times when you NEED to boost or fully charge the phone in a short time. Accelerated charging will impact the battery's life negatively over time so if you're going to keep this phone a long time (like you did with the MAXX), you should try to charge overnight using a charger that puts out between 1,000mAh and 1,200mAh (higher is actually better here), so that the charger can exceed the rate of consumption of power from the phone and still have enough overhead to actually charge the battery as well.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I too almost always charge my Turbo with a "regular" charger. I do it every other day during the night, with the phone off. Much less stress on the battery for sure.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't baby my phone and if turbo charging does truly destroy the battery much sooner then it would otherwise then this will surely be my last Moto.

Why has no one officially asked Moto to comment on this? *hint :D