Droid Turbo cannot play wma music?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have been so busy flying around the country this week I did not notice until last night that the 8GB of music I copied from my Droid Maxx (some of this music has been on every Droid I have ever owned and always played fine) will not show up in Play Music. The only music that was visible in My Library was the music I bought over the years from the Play Store. I can see it using ES File Explorer, but cannot play it using several different music players. After fighting with my phone this morning for an hour or so (deleted all of the music and re-copied it, etc.) I found a post on the Moto forum for the same thing. It sounds like a Droid Turbo cannot play music files that are in .wma format. This is the same 8GB of music that played fine on my Droid 1, Droid 3, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr M and Droid Maxx. I copied it from my Maxx last Saturday. It played on my Maxx but not my Turbo. Some of the same files will play on my wife's Moto X 2014, but not my Turbo. I will find a way to play it, just wondering why other Moto phones can play the same file but not my shiny new Turbo. One of the recommended solutions is to upload it all to your Play Music account and then download from the cloud to your phone, which will then be in mp3 format. That's my plan. Just wondering if anyone else has found a better way? Thanks.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It will not play them on a Turbo. There is something about a Turbo that just does not like certain music file types. The exact same music will play on my Samsung Note II work phone and my wife's Moto X 2014 using the Play Music app...but will not play on my Turbo using any app I have tried. I like the phone but if I would have known about this I would have kept my Droid Maxx. Little disappointed right now. This is not an app issue, it's something unique to a Droid Turbo.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Might have to convert those wma files to mp3. I think exact audio copy can do that (on a pc). Hadn't noticed this drawback as I don't have any wma files.
Exact audio copy should do a great job of turning them into wav format, then mp3. BTW... It's also the best CD "ripper" out there. Check it out. You download it directly from the author's site (I think it's exactaudiocopy.de.)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Might have to convert those wma files to mp3. I think exact audio copy can do that (on a pc). Hadn't noticed this drawback as I don't have any wma files.
Exact audio copy should do a great job of turning them into wav format, then mp3. BTW... It's also the best CD "ripper" out there. Check it out. You download it directly from the author's site (I think it's exactaudiocopy.de.)
Thanks. Might give that a try. I also found that you can upload that music to Play Music using Music Manager software then download it on phone or laptop and its in mp3 format. But if I can do it locally on my laptop that will be easier. When I ripped my CD collection to my laptop years ago I guess I never paid any attention to the file type. It has played on every phone and mp3 player I have ever owned until today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

monstermanhbf

Reaction score
Website
www.hpibajaforum.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S7
I have the paid version of Poweramp on my Turbo, don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure some of my music files that I moved into my Turbo from my PC Library were and had to be wma files. I get some of my music from various sites and or paid from iTunes..
When I get home I will take a look :)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Cool. Thanks. I found a workaround for now. I am uploading a lot of my favorite music from my laptop to the Google cloud using Music Manager and then downloading it back to my phone as MP3 files. It works, just takes a while. But once the same songs are on my phone as MP3 files, they open and play with the Play Music app and the other music player that I like.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have the paid version of Poweramp on my Turbo, don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure some of my music files that I moved into my Turbo from my PC Library were and had to be wma files. I get some of my music from various sites and or paid from iTunes..
When I get home I will take a look :)
I have the paid version of poweramp also. And although I don't have a turbo, a lot of my music is wma and it plays via poweramp.

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk

monstermanhbf

Reaction score
Website
www.hpibajaforum.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S7
Cool. Thanks. I found a workaround for now. I am uploading a lot of my favorite music from my laptop to the Google cloud using Music Manager and then downloading it back to my phone as MP3 files. It works, just takes a while. But once the same songs are on my phone as MP3 files, they open and play with the Play Music app and the other music player that I like.

Hmm I might have to give that a try awesome idea ;)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep. Not my idea though. Found it on the Moto forum as a workaround for this issue. It's working, just slow. Tried a few programs to do it locally on my laptop and they are slower that the upload / download to Google. At least now my music is in the Play Music cloud if I ever need it and it will be in MP3 format. I still don't understand why Moto would do this on the Turbo, but the same songs will play on a Moto X. Baffling.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Had the same issue. I usually rip in mp3 but there were about 6 cd's that I accidentally did to .wma.
Media Monkey couldn't play them because MM only supports tracks the phone can play naively.
PowerAmp, on the other hand, does indeed play WMA on my phone because it has its own codec. This is why it is not free. PA is still the best flat out player on the market.
I prefer MM for synching so I transcoded the files.

Tap'n Turbo