New Droid on the way - questions

greg24fan

Reaction score
My new every 2 just came up and I'm moving up to the droid. It will be here tomorrow. I've been researching apps on the web. I'm only familiar with apps as they relate to my ipod touch. Does any software come with the droid that you use to manage apps or anything else between your PC and the phone (similar to itunes and ipod)? Or do I have to find apps via the phone and download them directly to the phone?

And is there a good one stop resource to find, or that even ranks, free apps for the droid?

thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My new every 2 just came up and I'm moving up to the droid. It will be here tomorrow. I've been researching apps on the web. I'm only familiar with apps as they relate to my ipod touch. Does any software come with the droid that you use to manage apps or anything else between your PC and the phone (similar to itunes and ipod)? Or do I have to find apps via the phone and download them directly to the phone?

And is there a good one stop resource to find, or that even ranks, free apps for the droid?

thanks!

You handle everything between your computer and usb cable to your phone. There is no software involved. When you load apps most of the time that will be from the Market, where the majority of apps are. And most apps are free or very inexpensive.

OP
G

greg24fan

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So, I am not sure I have the picture clear still. I have to load apps from my computer to the phone via the usb cable but there is no software? So does that mean I have to have the phone plugged into the computer while I am using the computer to procure the app and then it will get sent to my droid?

jinxygrrl

Reaction score
On your phone there will be an app already installed called "Market". Click on it and there will be loads of free apps (and paid apps also) for your to search. You install directly to your phone. So, no, you do not need your computer to install apps.

The computer and USB can move files and other things between your phone and computer. Or can be used for "more advanced" functions. (not in my league)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So, I am not sure I have the picture clear still. I have to load apps from my computer to the phone via the usb cable but there is no software? So does that mean I have to have the phone plugged into the computer while I am using the computer to procure the app and then it will get sent to my droid?

No. Apps downloaded from the Market are OTA. If you download an app from the internet then you would mount your phone to your computer via USB. Then you would drop the file into the SD card. You will probably need something to open the file like Astro which is available in the market. But there is no Download manager or anything like that.

OP
G

greg24fan

Reaction score
Thanks jinx, so I can download apps to my computer and then pass over to my phone? Is it a drag and drop type of transfer? (since there is no itunes type software)

jinxygrrl

Reaction score
Lets try to clarify again.. Throw your computer away! You do not need to download anything to your computer.

On your phone, you go to the Market webpage and download directly from there to your phone. No computer involved.

Hook Bill, you are being to advanced for what he is asking, I believe.

Benton

Reaction score
I have had my Droid for >2 months and have only used the computer to backup files including digital pictures taken with the Droid, load several gigs of music from the PC to the Droid, load a couple of movies. Although possible, it is not necessary to dl apps to your PC for use on the Droid, use Market where the app is downloaded and installed directly. I recommend you check out free apps in Market first, decide on paid ones once you have a better understanding of your use/needs.

OP
G

greg24fan

Reaction score
That was another question I had - how easy or difficult does VZW make it to get pix and flix off the droid and onto the computer. Will they transfer via the usb cable without having to buy something extra? With my envy 2 with no sd card installed, i have to email pix and flix to myself and only short videos will send and many pix get downsized.

Also, what about ringtones? Are there lots to choose from out there that are free and transferrable without having to buy through VZW?

I'm definitely familiar with free aps before buying apps. I've never purchased an app for my ipod. There are so many free ones I'll never even have time to get to.

pyro6128

Reaction score
yea transfering between the droid and your comp is easy. Just drag and drop. Doesn't get much easier than that. Plus, I used to have an env2 and env touch, this is nothing at all like those. You don't have to deal with verizon at all really if you don't want to. VZpix or using verizon for ringtones, things like that, obsolete on the droid. There are plenty of apps to get ringtones, and apps (ringdroid) to take songs and cut snippets you want to use as your ringtone. Or you can just use another app (imusic is waht i use) to locate songs online, play them online, or download them for free, then set them as ringtones. There are WAY too many possibilities to list with this phone. Welcome to the big leagues

OP
G

greg24fan

Reaction score
Cool - can't wait. Sooooo tired of being limited by the network on a phone's capabilities just to be nickeled and dimed to death.

Will the phone charge via usb? And do older Motorola chargers work such as for a Razor, etc? I have a bunch of old Moto chargers lying around as well as a car charger.

Benton

Reaction score
Some of the older Motorola chargers will work, some won't. I also had some 2005 Razr chargers but found they use the mini USB charger not micro so the ends were different however it seems other Motorola chargers for more recent phones do work. There are a large number of third party providers of chargers that can hook you up pretty cheap if you don't have any extras around the house that will work.

cderry

Reaction score
Will the phone charge via usb? And do older Motorola chargers work such as for a Razor, etc? I have a bunch of old Moto chargers lying around as well as a car charger.

The chargers from the Razr's won't work. Those used Mini-USB...you need Micro-USB. It looks like a flatter version of the Mini-USB connection you're used to.

Basically, here's a picture of what I mean. The plug on the left is what you're used to (Mini-USB). The one on the right is the new standard (Micro-USB).

mini-micro-usb-connector.jpg

Reaction score
the droid does come with a ac adapter in the box so you don't really have to charge it via usb on the computer if you don't want to.