Droid tether to iPod touch

JPope

Reaction score
I own an unrooted Droid and I would like to be able to tether it to my wife's iPod touch for internet access away from a wireless router at home. I'd like to do the same tether between my phone and my lap top while away from home.
I've obtained the app PDAnet on my Droid as a starting point. Will I need a connection cable or can this be done wirelessly? Anyy assistance would be appreciated. :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should just need to bridge your wireless NIC and the network connection created by PDANet.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
To answer your PM, here goes the best I can do without trying it myself. I'm not 100% sure this will work with PDANet, but it's worth a shot.

What you're trying to do is host an ad-hoc network on your Laptop that will bridge the connections between your laptop's WiFi and the network connection established by PDANet. This will in effect turn your laptop into an access point (router) that can distribute internet to other devices. I'm assuming you're using Windows XP, the process should be similar in Vista and 7, but I'm not familiar with those OSes.

1) Establish an internet connection on your laptop with PDANet
2) Follow these instructions to start an ad-hoc network on your computer (The Host Computer Configuration section) Setting Up Ad Hoc Wireless Network in Windows XP
3) Control Panel < Network Connections < Select both the PDANet and WiFi connections < Right Click < Bridge Connections
4) Your wife's iPod should now see the network you created and be able to connect to it.

Good luck

Anyone else, please feel free to add or correct me, This is completely off the top of my head.

OP
J

JPope

Reaction score
Thanks Ken for your ernest effort in answering my question. My primary concern is using the PDNet ap on my Droid to enable my wife's ipod touch to access the intenet.
Secondly, I also wanted to do the same for my laptop but not at the same time. Mate my Droid with the laptop and another time mate the ipod touch with my Droid. I just want to use the 3G network on my phone to provide internet access. Thanks for your time. Jim

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken for your ernest effort in answering my question. My primary concern is using the PDNet ap on my Droid to enable my wife's ipod touch to access the intenet.
Secondly, I also wanted to do the same for my laptop but not at the same time. Mate my Droid with the laptop and another time mate the ipod touch with my Droid. I just want to use the 3G network on my phone to provide internet access. Thanks for your time. Jim

If I understand, the above should do it the second part. You wont be able to connect the Droid and the iPod without using your computer as shown aboce. Honestly, it would be easier if you rooted and used the WiFi Tether app... but I understand if you dont feel comfortable or dont want to void your warranty.

T.C

Reaction score
You should be able to connect wirelessly to both. I am able too and it works great. Hope this answers your question

OP
J

JPope

Reaction score
Color me stupid but for sake of my understanding your annnswer let's take the lap top out of the question. Can I connect the Droid with the ipod touch in order for the ipod touch to have internet capabilities? Once the latest Motorola update becomes a reality I plan on rooting my phone and will use the Wi Fi tether. I'm grateful for both of your replies. Jim :icon_eek:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Color me stupid but for sake of my understanding your annnswer let's take the lap top out of the question. Can I connect the Droid with the ipod touch in order for the ipod touch to have internet capabilities? Once the latest Motorola update becomes a reality I plan on rooting my phone and will use the Wi Fi tether. I'm grateful for both of your replies. Jim :icon_eek:

No, without the laptop, and without rooting, there's nothing you can do.

Borntodroid

Reaction score
Droid WIFI hotspot(kinda)...without root This thread may help you.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The cons of PDAnet is that it requires the PDAnet software on your computer and that it costs $30.

The $30 allows you to continue to connect to secure sites...

OP
J

JPope

Reaction score
Thanks for joining in the thread. What means of "connecting' did you use to thether please. Earlier notes made mention of the necessity of using a lap top as a go between and it didn't think that was part of the equation. Was "rooting" your droid really that simple? Thanks, Jim

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for joining in the thread. What means of "connecting' did you use to thether please. Earlier notes made mention of the necessity of using a lap top as a go between and it didn't think that was part of the equation. Was "rooting" your droid really that simple? Thanks, Jim

WiFi Tether requires root (and a kernel that supports it, I think). The easiest way to root is DroidMod (droidmod.org). Download an app, install it, and follow it's instructions.