Wi-Fi speed question

Paul1201

Reaction score
I have noticed that my iPod Touch is twice as fast for downloads and four times faster for upload than my Droid. (I used the speedtest.net app for both)

I have already used WiFi Analyzer to find the best availabe channel, updated the firmware on my Linksys WAP54G access point, and tried turning the WPA security off. I also tried "forgetting" my network and configured it manually by entering the network name and password through the Add WiFi Network tool. I even switched my access point from wireless G to B with no improvement.

Originally the iPod Touch was four times faster for downloads too but by changing the WiFi channel after using WiFi Analyzer I doubled my Droid's download speed. That app is really amazing.

On my Droid I get 4.4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. On the iPod Touch I get 8.5 and 4.2. My laptop gets 13.7 and 4.2 and I have Comcast cable internet.

Is there anything else I can try to change to improve the WiFi speed of my Doid?

hart.jordan

Reaction score
wish i could help but i got nothing... im having trouble just to try and connect to my wireless network at home. any suggestions you might throw at me?

OP
P

Paul1201

Reaction score
Have you checked the official Motorola Support forum? There is a 50+ page thread on that site with people having wifi connection problems. The strangest fix I saw in that thread was someone changed there cable modem and then they were able to connect via wifi. I'm not an IT guy and I can't figure out how that helped.

rook

Reaction score
I've been trying all day to get connected at home and it finally, FINALLY did. I didn't change anything either. Its pretty frustrating.

jasonb

Reaction score
My droid is as just fast as my laptop and my PS3 on wifi. Well, before my laptop died that is.

Sorry I can't actually help. All I can say is that it doesn't sound right.

OP
P

Paul1201

Reaction score
wish i could help but i got nothing... im having trouble just to try and connect to my wireless network at home. any suggestions you might throw at me?

Have you used Wifi analyzer to see if there is a better wifi channel to use?

allikanbe

Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging your router and turning off your Droid then plugging in your router, wait for it to complete the cycle, and then turning on your Droid?

I only had one problem gettting wifi and that was on the initial set up of a Droid. I had to be closer to the wifi router signal than I was. Once I walked closer to the signal (stronger) the Droid connected immediately. There were no more problems connecting after that. It was just the initial connection.

rook

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to make my network password protected...I'm one of those slow guys. But atleast I know the wiring works now haha.

OP
P

Paul1201

Reaction score
My wife got home a bit ago so I tested her Droid and got 5.2 down and 1.1 up. I guess this means it's not my Droid but something to do with how the wifi is setup or the hardware.

modified

Reaction score
Its interesting how everyones wireless speeds are different. Personally, after a few tests, my Droid had the faster wifi connection. It loaded most sites, especially mobile ones, about a second faster than the iPod. However, overall I like the iPod browser much better. It is smoother, the pinch and zoom works flawlessly, and its copy and paste feature is perfectly implemented.

On the otherhand, I love having 3G speed almost everywhere I go, something an iPhone would not offer.