Wi-Fi speed question

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Paul1201, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Paul1201

Paul1201 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that my iPod Touch is twice as fast for downloads and four times faster for upload than my Droid. (I used the speedtest.net app for both)

I have already used WiFi Analyzer to find the best availabe channel, updated the firmware on my Linksys WAP54G access point, and tried turning the WPA security off. I also tried "forgetting" my network and configured it manually by entering the network name and password through the Add WiFi Network tool. I even switched my access point from wireless G to B with no improvement.

Originally the iPod Touch was four times faster for downloads too but by changing the WiFi channel after using WiFi Analyzer I doubled my Droid's download speed. That app is really amazing.

On my Droid I get 4.4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. On the iPod Touch I get 8.5 and 4.2. My laptop gets 13.7 and 4.2 and I have Comcast cable internet.

Is there anything else I can try to change to improve the WiFi speed of my Doid?

2. hart.jordan

hart.jordan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wish i could help but i got nothing... im having trouble just to try and connect to my wireless network at home. any suggestions you might throw at me?

3. Paul1201

Paul1201 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked the official Motorola Support forum? There is a 50+ page thread on that site with people having wifi connection problems. The strangest fix I saw in that thread was someone changed there cable modem and then they were able to connect via wifi. I'm not an IT guy and I can't figure out how that helped.

4. rook

rook Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying all day to get connected at home and it finally, FINALLY did. I didn't change anything either. Its pretty frustrating.

5. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My droid is as just fast as my laptop and my PS3 on wifi. Well, before my laptop died that is.

Sorry I can't actually help. All I can say is that it doesn't sound right.

6. Trever1t

Trever1t Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I found that a simple reset to my wireless rouer was all that it took to connect to WPA2.

7. Paul1201

Paul1201 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you used Wifi analyzer to see if there is a better wifi channel to use?

8. allikanbe

allikanbe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried unplugging your router and turning off your Droid then plugging in your router, wait for it to complete the cycle, and then turning on your Droid?

I only had one problem gettting wifi and that was on the initial set up of a Droid. I had to be closer to the wifi router signal than I was. Once I walked closer to the signal (stronger) the Droid connected immediately. There were no more problems connecting after that. It was just the initial connection.

9. rook

rook Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still trying to figure out how to make my network password protected...I'm one of those slow guys. But atleast I know the wiring works now haha.

10. Paul1201

Paul1201 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife got home a bit ago so I tested her Droid and got 5.2 down and 1.1 up. I guess this means it's not my Droid but something to do with how the wifi is setup or the hardware.

11. modified

modified Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its interesting how everyones wireless speeds are different. Personally, after a few tests, my Droid had the faster wifi connection. It loaded most sites, especially mobile ones, about a second faster than the iPod. However, overall I like the iPod browser much better. It is smoother, the pinch and zoom works flawlessly, and its copy and paste feature is perfectly implemented.

On the otherhand, I love having 3G speed almost everywhere I go, something an iPhone would not offer.

Search tags for this page

bionic wifi speed

droid bionic poor wireless speed

droid wifi speed

linksys wag54g samsung galaxy s3