Net Neutrality Ends Today

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Will today be the calm before the storm or will all our worries be for naught. Personally I don't think there is much to worry about at this time. The isp will be doing a wait and see as to what new rules the states and FCC will pass.

Parts of the Federal Communication Commission’s repeal of net neutrality is slated to take effect on April 23, causing worry among internet users who fear the worst from their internet service providers. However, many experts believe there won’t be immediate changes come Monday, but that ISPs will wait until users aren’t paying attention to make their move.

Net Neutrality is Over Monday, But ISPs Will Wait to S***Us | Inverse

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I dont think we have much to worry about. Companies need to watch what groups they upset. Look at Yeti already.....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
It' only a matter of time before the almighty dollar sways the moral compass of the ISP's.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So we've gone from "this is going to ruin the internet" to "wait and see"....I don't want to be political, but this BS from the radical left is getting tiresome.

I'm a lot less worried about what the ISP's do to my bandwidth than what Google and Facebook do with my data.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
So we've gone from "this is going to ruin the internet" to "wait and see"....I don't want to be political, but this BS from the radical left is getting tiresome.

I'm a lot less worried about what the ISP's do to my bandwidth than what Google and Facebook do with my data.

I don't think it is just one group that was complaining about it ruining the internet. both sides of the political fence was. and IMO, it could ruin the internet but nobody ever said it was going to happen immediately after nn ended.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is just one group that was complaining about it ruining the internet. both sides of the political fence was. and IMO, it could ruin the internet but nobody ever said it was going to happen immediately after nn ended.

Internet worked just fine, with a few hiccups (addressed by current laws and regulation), before these special "net neutrality" rules. It was a solution in search of a problem that got legs with the tried-and-true political strategy of demonizing the hated [insert big corporation].

And the whole NN argument is basically saying the government, rather than the market, should decide the pricing model. Fast lanes already exist - there are tiers for consumer service. Pricing different levels of service and splitting that cost between provider and consumer simply isn't a NN issue, and it isn't going to ruin the internet....so long as those prices are guaranteed and offered to everyone.

But actually content is a much bigger deal (and the much, much bigger cost), and that's where anti-competitive practices come in and create an unequal playing field.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I am not going to get into a debate over this. just going to say, everyone has their own definition as to what could ruin the internet so it is not just one thing. government would NOT have to get involved if big business would play fair. Look at the 40 million dollar fine Verizon got recently when they use ringtones to trick their customers into thinking dropped calls were their fault. It turned out Verizon was at fault for the dropped calls because of poor coverage. that is just one of many examples that could be mentioned.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Look at the 40 million dollar fine Verizon got recently when they use ringtones to trick their customers into thinking dropped calls were their fault. It turned out Verizon was at fault for the dropped calls because of poor coverage. that is just one of many examples that could be mentioned.

I think the point most people make is the existing laws are working just fine. I don't see what the above example has to do with net neutrality, but they were fined and they stopped, so how does that demonstrate a need for more regulation?