Need some tech help on backing up and restoring data after installing custom roms

Reaction score
So guys I am recently new to the droid, but I am not new to the modding and tweaking of phones.

What I am looking for is the answer to a couple questions that are puzzling me. I have searched a few forums without much luck. However this forum has been the most helpful I must say.

So I am coming from a blackberry in which I used to run expirimental hybrid os's as well as using different files from different os's to improve my bb....or at times brick it.

So the loading of os's well roms on the droid is different by far. You can do it all from the phone with proper knowledge in which I like very much.

I have successfully rooted my phone via a tutorial over at droid life. I didn't use the oneclick method at all because the most secure way was with adb tools. So I like it and learned about superuser access as well as how to communicate with the system of the phone via the computer.

I have also learned a lot about nandroid backups and their importance after bricking the droid after installing cyanogenmod 7.0:3. The bricking didn't come from installing the rom/ I got that done seemlessly. The problem came from when I thought I could use my nandroid backup to restore my data back on top of the new rom. So after waiting on the phone to restore I got the motorola icon stuck. I finally was able to figure out how to get back to recovery mode using x + power button. So I re-flashed the cyanogenm/od and got my phone back up. Had no data or anything then flashed google apps to the phone to allow me to use the droid. I then tried going into advance restore via nandroid. I tried to restore only data...when it completed I rebooted only to find no data. So then I just left the phone alone until I had more time to research the issue as I had the weekend with my kids.....so yesterday I decided to go into nandroid and just reload an older backup I had and just went back to the old froyo rom. I don't like it at all after using cyanogen. So I have concluded that the backup I was trying to restore from before was obviously corrupt which was causedby insufficient memory on the sd card resulting in a bricked droid. So my question is "is there a way to backup your data....flash a new rom and restore the data I.e. call logs, texts, passdroid passwords etc." Can this be done using nandroid advanced restore? Or is their an app that will do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The more I can learn, the more I can be a contributor to the forum myself. Sorry for any typing or grammar mistakes, on a long drive to NC.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Shad0www

Reaction score
There is an app in the market called Titanium Backup and it can backup anything and everything app and data related. It backs up to your sdcard and has dropbox support so you can make a backup of all your backups to your dropbox account. It really is the best tool for any and every root user. The wiki for Titanium backup is located here qr.ai/u9k5 (copy and paste into browser) so you can see all of its features. The pro unlock key for Titanium Backup is $6 but trust it is worth $100 because of everything it can do.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
C
Reaction score
So I had the app...but wasn't sure about how to use it and was just using file expert. So basically after flashing the new rom ill also need to flash the google apps as well then download titanium backup and then it should locate my backups and be able to restore my apps and data correct? Thanks for your help

Shad0www

Reaction score
Yeah you need to flash gapps if the rom you are flashing doesn't come with them.

Titanium alsobhas a unique feature called "create update.zip" so right after you flash your rom/gapps you can also flash that update.zip and it'll install titanium so you you don't even have to bother signing into your google account right away or search for titanium in the market if you do sign in.

After you flash you files and reboot you just go to titanium>menue>batch>run-restore missing apps + all system data and everything gets restored automatically (if you bought the pro key). Of course that's assuming before wiping and flashing the new rom you backed up all your apps and any system data you wanted to carry over to your sdcard :)

NOTE: be selective on what system data (marked in green or red letters) because sometimes it can create issues with your rom but it rarely happens in my experience. Personally the only system data I back up are my texts and my call log.

Sent from my DROIDX

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty much.....here's how I do it.

Flash new ROM.
Install TiBu
Restore apps
reboot into recovery
Wipe Davlik cache
reboot
enjoy

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah you need to flash gapps if the rom you are flashing doesn't come with them.

Titanium alsobhas a unique feature called "create update.zip" so right after you flash your rom/gapps you can also flash that update.zip and it'll install titanium so you you don't even have to bother signing into your google account right away or search for titanium in the market if you do sign in.

After you flash you files and reboot you just go to titanium>menue>batch>run-restore missing apps + all system data and everything gets restored automatically (if you bought the pro key). Of course that's assuming before wiping and flashing the new rom you backed up all your apps and any system data you wanted to carry over to your sdcard :)

NOTE: be selective on what system data (marked in green or red letters) because sometimes it can create issues with your rom but it rarely happens in my experience. Personally the only system data I back up are my texts and my call log.

Sent from my DROIDX

Awesome! This is exactly the answers I needed. Going to purchase the pro key and then go from there. Once I get this down pat ill explore kernels and overclocking. Thanks for your help!

beckerfj

Reaction score
One of the reasons I haven't jumped around too much with ROMs is because of restoring apps.

I have been hesitant because what I would love is if Titanium allowed for restoring specific apps.

Does Titanium allow for restoring specific apps too or do you have to restore all apps?

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

OP
C
Reaction score
One of the reasons I haven't jumped around too much with ROMs is because of restoring apps.

I have been hesitant because what I would love is if Titanium allowed for restoring specific apps.

Does Titanium allow for restoring specific apps too or do you have to restore all apps?

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

I know you can go into the app and hit menu...batch then select the batch variation u like to backup everything but it will also allow you to backup only the apps you select. As for restoring id say its going to restore everythimg you have included in your backup file. Someone correct me if it is different. I know file expert would let you go and reinstall each app individually if you want as it saves the apk files to your sd card. Good luck and the answer could help me as well.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
With Titanium Backup I could care less about flashing ROM to ROM to ROM. It takes me about 3 minutes to restore all 278 apps.

Shad0www

Reaction score

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

Titanium allows you to restore every single app all at once or select the ones you want restored.

Titanium also has a feature that uses "apps organizer" which let's you give the apps you choose a label and in titanium you can choose that label and only restore those apps instead of having to look through your app list and check marking each app to restore.

To just restore certain apps you do menu>batch>run - restore all apps + systems data and it gives a checked list of all your apps and instead of just hitting "run batch operation" uncheck the apps you don't want installed then hit "run batch operation."

EDIT: just to be clear titanium always gives you and option to pick which apps you want batch restored or backed up with its check list of apps before you proceed to pressing "run batch operation."

Sent from my DROIDX